• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best grounds to watch cricket

andmark

International Captain
We stay at a hotel hotel called The Diglis hotel which is on the banks of the Severn. I think it was John Arlott who once said " the walk from the hotel to the ground is the best I ever do, with boats coming past & its bevy of swans on the river " if it was good enough for the great man it's good enough for me ;)
Anything John Arlott said is gospel to me. Such a top-notch commentator and person generally, Great man.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
After a few years now I can firmly say Hagley Oval is my favourite ground in NZ. Although this year I am ticking off Old Trafford, Edgbaston, Lords (hopefully) and the MCG. So ask me again in a year. Haha.

Kirkut

International Regular
Adelaide is better now than it was before. New stands are amazing and they kept the cathedral views too. Is very well done.
The new ground looks too sporty for a test match, I loved those old brown tile roofs. The thing is that the grounds with old world charm are always in a perfect harmony with the format of test cricket.

My observations are mostly based on what I see on tv, maybe you know it better since you've probably visited that ground.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I prefer the traditional grounds like most county fans, your New Rds, Tauntons, Chesterfields and Southports. I'm not even that keen on your Trafford/Edgbaston type jobs that are large for England, basically your old grounds that have been modernised. The smaller grounds just looks fantastic when you have an idyllic ''picture postcard'' setting. If there is some historic feature like a church in the background that makes it even better.

Heboric

International Debutant
I will be biased and saying Newlands

Normally nice weather. Maybe in Jan can get a bit toasty

Nice views. Nice area

Right balance of grass banks and stadium feel

Rarely has there been any issues of light (aka not Durban)

Public transport close (although there is an issue of reliability :@)

YCCCfan

Cricket Spectator
Time permitting I try to get to see our seconds play. Last year saw me visit Repton School ( stunning little ground ) Loughborough CC, York CC & Trent College.

Repton School

tony p

First Class Debutant
my favourite ground is cheltenham college. was there last year for glos v durham in july. great pitch for a 4 day game, good food, cricket book stalls & great weather.
what more could you want.

many outgrounds in england are terrific for county cricket and are just the right size with 1500 to 2000 people per day.

tunbridge wells, liverpool, taunton, horsham, eastbourne & worcester are well worth going to if you haven't been before.

TRENT BRIDGE & THE OVAL BY FAR THE BEST TEST VENUES.

unfortunately, for me LORDS is completely overated, history not withstanding, always felt i was an inconvenience by attending a match, very expensive food and never feel welcomed.

S.Kennedy

my favourite ground is cheltenham college. was there last year for glos v durham in july. great pitch for a 4 day game, good food, cricket book stalls & great weather.
what more could you want.

many outgrounds in england are terrific for county cricket and are just the right size with 1500 to 2000 people per day.

tunbridge wells, liverpool, taunton, horsham, eastbourne & worcester are well worth going to if you haven't been before.

TRENT BRIDGE & THE OVAL BY FAR THE BEST TEST VENUES.

unfortunately, for me LORDS is completely overated, history not withstanding, always felt i was an inconvenience by attending a match, very expensive food and never feel welcomed.
I was at that Gloucestershire v Durham match also. It was surprisingly a full strength Durham with Stokes and Wood playing and they still got beaten! Wood was injured early on.

Yes Cheltenham is gorgeous. Hasn't changed since WG Grace was batting there.

S.Kennedy

Adelaide is better now than it was before. New stands are amazing and they kept the cathedral views too. Is very well done.
The only ground that looks nice now in Australia is that Sydney venue that was being used for the last Women's Ashes Test. That looked like a lovely little venue from the tv pictures.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I was at that Gloucestershire v Durham match also. It was surprisingly a full strength Durham with Stokes and Wood playing and they still got beaten! Wood was injured early on.

Yes Cheltenham is gorgeous. Hasn't changed since WG Grace was batting there.
one of the great things about cheltenham last year was the BOUNDARY HUB, before play and during the intervals. malcolm nash & alan wilkins were great entertainment during the tea break, managed to get their autographs in my glamorgan book.
also enjoyed the woman's kia super league match on the thursday,( a really good crowd), sarah taylor making an excellent 50.

YCCCfan

Cricket Spectator
Next season it's my intention to finish the the grounds I still won't have done Durham, Gloucestershire & Sussex. Also to bag a few more out grounds ( it's the anorak in me :ph34r: )

S.Kennedy

one of the great things about cheltenham last year was the BOUNDARY HUB, before play and during the intervals. malcolm nash & alan wilkins were great entertainment during the tea break, managed to get their autographs in my glamorgan book.
also enjoyed the woman's kia super league match on the thursday,( a really good crowd), sarah taylor making an excellent 50.
I was there just for the Durham game. A lot of Durham supporters made the trip down there you will have noticed.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I was there just for the Durham game. A lot of Durham supporters made the trip down there you will have noticed.
that's why outgrounds are great for cricket, although players prefer the comforts of the major grounds. (YES THE DURHAM SUPPORTERS WERE NOTICABLE), great they made the journey down.

been to the riverside once back in 2011, a di venuto century against notts

have been to 27 first class grounds in england since my first visit in 1989.
they no longer play first class cricket at gloucester, portsmouth, maidstone, horsham, eastbourne since i started coming over, at least eastbourne still has a 50 over game.

still hope to get to chesterfield, any essex outground, cardiff, swansea, beckenham, southport, guildford and scarborough before the championship is decimated.

ALSO COLWYN BAY IS FANTASTIC IF YOU CAN GO. excellent b&b near the ground, 5 minutes from the sea front, wonderful people at the ground.
also made excellent by an ian bell double century, one that was never in doubt from the first ball.

S.Kennedy

I think the players love the outgrounds. I spoke with Colly at the Cheltenham game and he said it was wonderful or words to that effect. There is a story in one of Dickie Bird's books where the Indian A were playing Chesterfield and Tendulkar turned to him and said it was the most perfect cricket setting he had ever played.

YCCCfan

Cricket Spectator
Talking of out grounds back in 1968 during our championship win the games were played at.

Headingley - Leeds
North Marine Road - Scarborough
St Georges Road - Harrogate
Park Avenue - Bradford
Acklam Park - Middlesbrough
Bramall Lane - Sheffield
The Circle - Hull

Lords - St Johns Wood
FP Fenners Ground - Cambridge
County Ground - Taunton
Grace Road - Leicester
Ashley Down Ground - Bristol
Edgbaston - Birmingham
County Ground - Nothampton
Sophia Gardens - Cardiff
The Oval - Kennington
Trent Bridge - Nottingham
St Lawerence Ground - Canterbury
Old Trafford - Manchester
New Road - Worcester
Queens Park - Chesterfield

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Birchgrove Oval as pretty as it gets. Needs an in-character pavilion though.