• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best grounds to watch cricket

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Always hear a lot of love for Headingley. Really want to go there one day. Definitely on my list of English cricket grounds to attend and watch India get walloped by England as is my tradition (I was like 2 days away from being able to attend India's win at Lord's in 2014 :()

Is the Oval a good ground?
Yeah The Oval is pretty good

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lord's is great...But Eden Gardens is closer to my heart (not only because I saw the greatest test match of all-time live there)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
...and watch India get walloped by England as is my tradition (I was like 2 days away from being able to attend India's win at Lord's in 2014 )
Haha incidentally Lord's was the only test I watched live during that series

So, it is official now - Jono brings bad luck to Indian team, and weldone brings good luck

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I've seen games at only a few grounds:
- PCA Mohali (original hometown ground): India vs South Africa 1996 Titan Cup, India vs Sri Lanka 1997 and a Champions League game
- Trent Bridge: England vs India 2014 Day 4 (that epic stand of Root and Jimmy)
- Lord's: England vs India 2014 Day 5 (Seeing a famous Indian win)
- MCG: India vs South Africa 2015 World Cup (another great win)

Really want to do the Oval, SCG, Cape Town and Wankhede soon.

YCCCfan

Cricket Spectator
Sorry for digging up a old thread but didn't want to duplicate anything. Here's a list of grounds I have visited.

Headingley - love going here, obviously it's going be superb now the new stand nears completion. I always sit in the East Stand ( members area ) and there's always a good atmosphere in there.

Scarbrough - for anyone that hasn't been here it's an absolute must. You always see plenty of Notts, Essex, Kent etc tops & hats as fans who visited once tend to return.

The 3aaa's Derby - at first I wasn't keen the more I've gone back I've kinda warmed to the place.

Queens Park, Chesterfield - beautiful place to watch cricket. I've been the last 3 seasons for our t20 games. Always a sell out & does get a bit rowdy but a great place to go.

Trent Bridge - love the place it's easy to get to & the members are a great bunch of people. My only gripe is the members bar is small & there isn't a great deal of choice food wise but there's plenty of alternatives just outside the ground.

Welbeck Colliery - Notts out ground, highly recommend it's a great day out. The last time I went there was in excess of 5000 inside giving plenty of vocal support.

Lords - a proper cricketing experience. On my bucket list to do a ground tour at some point.

Ageas Bowl - I personally find it a bit soulless, I attended the Royal London there last year & given it was a semi final was suprised how few spectators there were.

The County Ground, Taunton - love visiting here over the years we have made several friends ( Somerset fans ) here. Always a good turn out from the Yorkies for this game.

The Oval - lovely ground with fabulous facilities in their members area. Enjoy my trips to this venue.

Edgbaston - again it's grown on me. My biggest gripe it's not got any bars or anything outside the ground worth visiting.

Old Trafford - always plenty of good natured banter between the 2 sets of supporters here. Shall miss not going over to the " Darkside " this season.

Grace Road, Leicester - nice little ground although a little frayed around the edges.

The County Ground, Northampton - another nice little ground, a little difficult to find.

New Road - Worcester - the setting for this ground is stunning always a great place to visit.

This coming season I'll be adding Guildford, Canterbury & Chelmsford to my list as well as a much welcome to York CC where YCCC will be playing Warwickshire. The last time we played a competitive game there was over 100 years ago.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Sorry for digging up a old thread but didn't want to duplicate anything. Here's a list of grounds I have visited.

Headingley - love going here, obviously it's going be superb now the new stand nears completion. I always sit in the East Stand ( members area ) and there's always a good atmosphere in there.

Scarbrough - for anyone that hasn't been here it's an absolute must. You always see plenty of Notts, Essex, Kent etc tops & hats as fans who visited once tend to return.

The 3aaa's Derby - at first I wasn't keen the more I've gone back I've kinda warmed to the place.

Queens Park, Chesterfield - beautiful place to watch cricket. I've been the last 3 seasons for our t20 games. Always a sell out & does get a bit rowdy but a great place to go.

Trent Bridge - love the place it's easy to get to & the members are a great bunch of people. My only gripe is the members bar is small & there isn't a great deal of choice food wise but there's plenty of alternatives just outside the ground.

Welbeck Colliery - Notts out ground, highly recommend it's a great day out. The last time I went there was in excess of 5000 inside giving plenty of vocal support.

Lords - a proper cricketing experience. On my bucket list to do a ground tour at some point.

Ageas Bowl - I personally find it a bit soulless, I attended the Royal London there last year & given it was a semi final was suprised how few spectators there were.

The County Ground, Taunton - love visiting here over the years we have made several friends ( Somerset fans ) here. Always a good turn out from the Yorkies for this game.

The Oval - lovely ground with fabulous facilities in their members area. Enjoy my trips to this venue.

Edgbaston - again it's grown on me. My biggest gripe it's not got any bars or anything outside the ground worth visiting.

Old Trafford - always plenty of good natured banter between the 2 sets of supporters here. Shall miss not going over to the " Darkside " this season.

Grace Road, Leicester - nice little ground although a little frayed around the edges.

The County Ground, Northampton - another nice little ground, a little difficult to find.

New Road - Worcester - the setting for this ground is stunning always a great place to visit.

This coming season I'll be adding Guildford, Canterbury & Chelmsford to my list as well as a much welcome to York CC where YCCC will be playing Warwickshire. The last time we played a competitive game there was over 100 years ago.
I second Chesterfield. I went to a county game there (Derby v Durham) in 2017 and it was idyllic. I have heard good things about Arundel and Southport. If Durham ever play an one-dayer against Yorkshire at a place called Gosforth (South Northumberland) make sure you go there. It is a lovely little ground, easy to get to and well situated. We usually play our lone outground fixture there, an one-dayer (Lancs this year), although there have been rumours of a county championship game.

There is one pub near Edgbaston. I think it is called The Edgbaston Tap or something, among that group of buildings which includes a chip shop across that busy road. I wouldn't really recommend it; bit ''old manish''! Did you have a look at the museum? It has the ball Harmison bowled that took Kasprowicz's wicket.

andmark

International Captain
I've not been, but New Road looks incredibly idyllic. I'd like to think the scorers there still use notches on wood and the players are shepherds on a day off.

YCCCfan

Cricket Spectator
I second Chesterfield. I went to a county game there (Derby v Durham) in 2017 and it was idyllic. I have heard good things about Arundel and Southport. If Durham ever play an one-dayer against Yorkshire at a place called Gosforth (South Northumberland) make sure you go there. It is a lovely little ground, easy to get to and well situated. We usually play our lone outground fixture there, an one-dayer (Lancs this year), although there have been rumours of a county championship game.

There is one pub near Edgbaston. I think it is called The Edgbaston Tap or something, among that group of buildings which includes a chip shop across that busy road. I wouldn't really recommend it; bit ''old manish''! Did you have a look at the museum? It has the ball Harmison bowled that took Kasprowicz's wicket.
I'm embarrassed to say I've not yet done The Emirates it's one of the grounds I've intended to go to but something's stopped me. I've a mate ( a Durham fan ) & he raves about Gosforth. Yes everyone I've met says Arundel is a lovely ground as is Southport allegedly. Reference the Edgbaston Tap I actually have been in it's the last pub I wiped my feet when I came out of it.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'm embarrassed to say I've not yet done The Emirates it's one of the grounds I've intended to go to but something's stopped me. I've a mate ( a Durham fan ) & he raves about Gosforth. Yes everyone I've met says Arundel is a lovely ground as is Southport allegedly. Reference the Edgbaston Tap I actually have been in it's the last pub I wiped my feet when I came out of it.
Durham's Riverside is pretty good. The view of Lumley with a full cricket field laid out is very picturesque - that is its biggest selling point. The main Pavilion is ironically more old fashioned than a lot of far older grounds because they have all refurnished. The main problem is the location. It is in the middle of nowhere. It is a 15 mins walk from Chester-le-Street itself (it is a stretch to even say that the venue is in Chester-le-Street to be honest). The trains to CLS are infrequent and often delayed. I think it is reasonably easy to drive to as it is off the A1. Whichever way you come, make sure you bring everything you'll need on the day because there are no shops around or anything.

Trains from Yorkshire/Leeds actually stop (I think) direct at CLS on the way to Newcastle. It is the Transpennine Service. A lot of Yorkies come up for the Twenty20. Those evenings are very lively. Last year the Durham fans were singing ''Jimmy Saville he's one of your own''!

YCCCfan

Cricket Spectator
I've not been, but New Road looks incredibly idyllic. I'd like to think the scorers there still use notches on wood and the players are shepherds on a day off.
We stay at a hotel hotel called The Diglis hotel which is on the banks of the Severn. I think it was John Arlott who once said " the walk from the hotel to the ground is the best I ever do, with boats coming past & its bevy of swans on the river " if it was good enough for the great man it's good enough for me ;)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
New Road definitely gets the thumbs up. Lovely ground

Couple of others

Horsham, Sussex - Beautiful festival ground. Not sure if Sussex still play there, but well worth the trip

Grange, Edinburgh - A real 'village-feel' to this ground. Funnily enough it is situated in a quaint, tranquil area of Edinburgh. Just walking round the boundary during play is glorious

Kirkut

International Regular
On tv it would be Adelaide Oval before the renovation. Particularly due to very long boundaries the classic shots which went for fours would look even more awesome than on regular sized grounds.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adelaide is better now than it was before. New stands are amazing and they kept the cathedral views too. Is very well done.