• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

will Murali's 'most wickets' records ever be beaten?

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Muttiah Muralitharan is one of the all time greats. And he has the most wickets in ODIs and test matches

ODIs: 534 wickets from 350 games
tests 800 wickets from 133 games.

Will these records ever be beaten? It's hard to see him losing his test record. Sure some players may get to a comparable amount of test matches, but they don't take enough wickets to challenge his record. I think it's similar in ODIs.

Will these records ever be beaten?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seems hard to picture but since the time limit you've given is the rest of eternity you have to say yes.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Seems hard to picture but since the time limit you've given is the rest of eternity you have to say yes.
That was my logic. Obviously someone will come along. I don't hold that opinion for 99.94 though. That is unbreakable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's difficult to break it and probably won't be broken (the test record). However, it isn't as difficult as the Hobbs record of most FC runs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That was my logic. Obviously someone will come along. I don't hold that opinion for 99.94 though. That is unbreakable.

Voges needs 182* across the second dig here and the first innings of the Sydney Test to hit a 100 average after 20 innings. Then he can comfortably retire as #BetterThanBradman

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is a test cricketer who finished his career averaging higher than 100. Player 1 or 2 tests.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Voges needs 182* across the second dig here and the first innings of the Sydney Test to hit a 100 average after 20 innings. Then he can comfortably retire as #BetterThanBradman
Because he has played nearly 20 games, when his inevitable slump comes it will take a while for his average to decline. He may well end up being dropped after 40 tests with an average in the 60s which will be the second best ever and young kids will ask why he isn't more legendary.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because he has played nearly 20 games, when his inevitable slump comes it will take a while for his average to decline. He may well end up being dropped after 40 tests with an average in the 60s which will be the second best ever and young kids will ask why he isn't more legendary.
who says he won't be

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Steve Smith realises that Voges can bowl he'll drop Lyon and Voges will take 7-8 wickets a game for the next 20 years.

Record demolished.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Pretty much a perfect storm of things had to all happen for Murali to get to 800. Another guy who picks up 2 wickets per innings regularly would still have to play 200 Tests to get there.