• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir Shah tests positive for banned substance

slippy888

International Captain
Pakistan legspinner Yasir Shah has been provisionally suspended under the ICC's anti-doping code for testing positive for a banned substance. A sample taken from Yasir on November 13, when Pakistan played an ODI against England in Abu Dhabi, was found to contain chlortalidone, which is on WADA's prohibited list of diuretics and masking agents.

While he is provisionally suspended, Yasir cannot play - or be involved in any capacity in - international matches, and games organised by any national cricket board or its affiliated members. He can request for his B sample to be tested, and if that test does not confirm a positive result then the entire test will be considered negative and the suspension will be lifted with immediate effect.

Yasir can also request for a hearing before an anti-doping tribunal through a written application that must be received by the anti-doping manager within 14 days. Should he want a hearing, Yasir must state in his application how he responds to the charge and his explanation for the same.

Yasir, 29, has become a key member of the Pakistan team since debuting in Test cricket in October 2014. Currently ranked No. 4 in the Test bowlers rankings, he has 76 wickets from 12 Tests at 24.17. Forty-nine of those wickets have come in 2015, making him the fourth-highest Test wicket-taker overall this year till date.

Pakistan's next international assignment is a limited-overs tour of New Zealand in January.

A shame for cricket this he was bringing the art of leg spin bowling back into cricket.

Yasir Shah tests positive for banned substance | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So you can't be an international cricketer if you suffer from high blood pressure?

That's the final nail in the coffin of my aspirations

Howe_zat

Audio File
Done a bit of googling around and I can't find anything that contains chlortalidone that isn't just the drug itself. Don't think this could reasonably considered accidental.

Bit like the Shane Warne 2003 scenario where we can expect a cricketer to publicly announce total stupidity rather than culpability

slippy888

International Captain
First sunil narine he had the perfect bowling action but icc don't want him to play cause they know he a threat to the bigger teams, the icc make excuses saying he is a thrower whatever.

Niall

International Coach
Rehan Ulhaq ‏@Rehan_ulhaq 2h2 hours ago
No it isn't ICC's conspiracy against Pakistan, plz stop with these theories & wait for the eventual outcome.
Rehan Ulhaq ‏@Rehan_ulhaq 2h2 hours ago
Not like ICC made it a banned substance today, it was already listed as banned, read their press release.
Spot on from a Pakistani cricket journo shooting down talk about conspiracy, I love the dude, but if guilty, he deserves to be banned.

Yasir wasn't going to win the series in England, but imagine Babar bowling in England? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Bloody Hell

Yasir you ****ing prick. First the spot fixers and now this idiot. Pakistanis really are stupid ****s. I hope the ICC just bans the whole team. It's not worth supporting them.

smash84

The Tiger King
Done a bit of googling around and I can't find anything that contains chlortalidone that isn't just the drug itself. Don't think this could reasonably considered accidental.

Bit like the Shane Warne 2003 scenario where we can expect a cricketer to publicly announce total stupidity rather than culpability
How long a ban are we looking at?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
First sunil narine he had the perfect bowling action but icc don't want him to play cause they know he a threat to the bigger teams, the icc make excuses saying he is a thrower whatever.
sunil '6 tests' narine? the only person stopping narine from a test career was narine himself.

Howe_zat

Audio File
How long a ban are we looking at?
Warne had a year. I'd guess similar.

Incidentally looking for that incident digs up this wonderful quote, not only for its relevancy but also for the name

Dick Pound, the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, was also unimpressed. "The source [of the substance] is not relevant," he said. "You cannot have an IQ over room temperature and be unaware of this as an international athlete."

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Warne had a year. I'd guess similar.

Incidentally looking for that incident digs up this wonderful quote, not only for its relevancy but also for the name
this so much.

****ing hate "HE A GOOD BOY!" "HE IS JUST A SIMPLY COUNTRY BOY, HE DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER!" mentality. the absolute pits.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is just sad. Love how he bowls. However, drugs have to be discouraged. No two ways about it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Such a shame. Really hope his B sample test comes negative, simply because I am a fan of his bowling. Obviously, if culpable, will have to do the time. :(