• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir Shah tests positive for banned substance

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
How long a ban are we looking at?
Warne had a year. I'd guess similar.

Incidentally looking for that incident digs up this wonderful quote, not only for its relevancy but also for the name
If the ICC follow the guidelines of WADA (which, I think, pretty well every sport does now) it would be a 4 year ban. Mitigating circumstances might (but only might) reduce that but ignorance from a player (or even a Doctor who gave him the item) would not count amongst these.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kusal got 4 too. It's quite harsh on the cricketers (compared to a more reasonable 2, say) but has to be done to protect cricket from drugs as much as possible. We do not want cricket turning into some of the other sports.

smash84

The Tiger King
If the ICC follow the guidelines of WADA (which, I think, pretty well every sport does now) it would be a 4 year ban. Mitigating circumstances might (but only might) reduce that but ignorance from a player (or even a Doctor who gave him the item) would not count amongst these.
Holy ****. 4 years is a long time.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
has the WADA ban rules changed from 1 year to 4 years? Warne was banned for 1 year for the same offence. Feel bad for Yasir S.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the punishment says "upto" 4 years, so its not a given it has to be 4. Guess it ranges from X months to 4 years and depends on the view taken by the governing body. Or am I missing something here and WADA gets to set out the type and duration of punishments too, instead of just the broader guideline?

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I think the punishment says "upto" 4 years, so its not a given it has to be 4. Guess it ranges from X months to 4 years and depends on the view taken by the governing body. Or am I missing something here and WADA gets to set out the type and duration of punishments too, instead of just the broader guideline?
I think for a steroid or similar PED the penalty is 4 years but may come down if there are extenuating circumstances. These would normally involve contamination by a third party outside the knowledge of the athlete (being given medication by a coach or doctor would not be covered by this). Track athletes from the USA have, a couple of times, got away with two years because the IAAF were cowards.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are other options for bp meds

Speaking of this. Are all diuretics banned?
and literally no one uses chlorthalidone anymore. At least not in the Western world . . . unless you're trying to mask steroid use I guess?

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Dieuretics are making agents aren't they. Hence them being banned as they're not really going to effect performance/recovery by themselves.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Kusal got 4 too. It's quite harsh on the cricketers (compared to a more reasonable 2, say) but has to be done to protect cricket from drugs as much as possible. We do not want cricket turning into some of the other sports.
Is Kusal's 4 year confirmed already? Or, is there any room for change?