• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir Shah tests positive for banned substance

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is there even any advantage to doping in cricket? Very strange to hear about this case and the Kusal Perera one lately.
The amount of modern gym work in cricket is pretty extensive, but even for someone who doesn't rely on power at all doping can be huge in fast tracking injury recovery.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok. Bear in mind I've never seen the inside of a gym or done any strength training whatsoever so forgive my ignorance. :laugh:

smash84

The Tiger King
wow, 3 months, that's ridiculous. Maybe it was a case of genuine prescription issues perhaps? I don't understand how you could get away so lightly otherwise?

Niall

International Coach
I am sure their is some on Pak passion saying it is to long and an Indian conspiracy to ruin Pakistan cricket:laugh:

Won't be missed for the world cup as plenty of young spinners, but good to have him for the England series.

morgieb

Is there even any advantage to doping in cricket? Very strange to hear about this case and the Kusal Perera one lately.
Power and injury recovery. It's probably the sport that requires doping the least that isn't something like golf or snooker, but let's not pretend that there isn't an advantage here.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Power and injury recovery. It's probably the sport that requires doping the least that isn't something like golf or snooker, but let's not pretend that there isn't an advantage here.
Stamina.

If you're artificially boosting your powers of endurance then that gives you the ability to bat longer or bowl longer spells at closer to optimum performance.

OverratedSanity

I don't even think he'll miss any games beyond what he already has. Pakistan don't have any int'l matches before the end of March, right?

EDIT: Apart from the WT20, of course. Never mind.
He won't even be missed in the t20wc with Afridi handling the spin role. Yasir hasn't exactly set the world on fire in LoIs. Basically he'll miss virtually no meaningful cricket. Kinda ridiculous, really.

Nothing too salty though, can't wait to see him bowl overseas and tear it up. Amir and Yasir will both be back for the England and Australia tour, holy ****. Going to be so much fun.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yasir Shah suspended for three months for breach of anti-doping code | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
"While making the decision, the ICC accepted that Mr Shah had inadvertently ingested the 'Specified Substance' for therapeutic reasons, specifically to treat his blood pressure," the ICC said. "He was able to satisfy the ICC through evidence and submissions prepared on his behalf by the Pakistan Cricket Board that he had no intention to enhance his sporting performance or to mask the use of another performance enhancing substance and had, instead, mistakenly taken his wife's blood pressure medication that was identical in appearance to his own but which contained the prohibited substance chlortalidone.
fmd, i thought nobody was going to buy this

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, don't buy it for a second. He's a lucky, lucky boy.
He may well be blagging it, but there are a huge variety of BP medications about, so without accusing him of being a liar they didn't have much choice but accept his account

Daemon

It is possible I suppose. Not buying it but if he was able to show that his own medication looked identical to his wifes then it's hard to charge him.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, but he should have known what he was taking, and that it was on the banned list.
If it was his wife's and he didn't know what it was then it asks the question of why he was popping random medicine in his mouth!
It seems like a poor excuse, you would have to be quite silly.

Daemon

Yes, but he should have known what he was taking, and that it was on the banned list.
If it was his wife's and he didn't know what it was then it asks the question of why he was popping random medicine in his mouth!
It seems like a poor excuse, you would have to be quite silly.
What?

He (well, allegedly) thought he knew what he was taking, which was his own perfectly legal medication.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
"I'm an idiot who picked up the wrong bottle" isn't a defence that should be considered for more than 3 seconds before being thrown out. He is responsible for what he puts in his body.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm really, really disappointed that the PCB itself has been involved in preparing Yasir's defense.

Quite disgusting.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
While stating that it had independent evidence corroborating Yasir's account, the ICC cited that the player had informed Pakistan physiotherapist Bradley Robinson and the Doping Control Officer in attendance at the time that he had taken the medicine. In its detailed report on the matter, the ICC said: "It has confirmed that during the doping control process YS [Yasir Shah] informed Pakistan team physiotherapist Bradley Robinson that he had taken a single blood pressure tablet some 4 days previously, which had been given to him by his wife with both (1) the Doping Control Officer who was in attendance at the time; and (2) with the ICC's AntiDoping and Medical Officer, to whom Mr Robinson relayed his conversation with YS regarding the blood pressure medication whilst YS and the Doping Control Officer were completing the Doping Control Form."

So not only did he "inadvertently" take his wife's BP medication - which reportedly looks identical to his - but he was also aware that he took it, and aware of the exact time frame that he took it.

This is absolute garbage.