• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the cricket world call it stumps for West Indies cricket?

Should the cricket world call it stumps for West Indies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No.

New Zealand destroyed Zimbabwe in home conditions and no one said that curtains had to be called on Zimbos.

Australia are a dominant team at home and most teams struggle to do well.

I do question the decision to give the Windies the boxing day test however and a three test series but that is something for CA to think about for next time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No. They should be handled with care just like other other nations. Ireland and Afghanistan should be taken care of as well. We are just focussing on big 3. T20 cricket is affecting the cricket particularly of smaller nations tremendously. It's a serious issue. Today it's Windies. Tomorrow it will be Sri Lanka.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I also agree that it's harsh to judge them on performances in Australia. They were improving as a test nation last year or so. Australia can be a tough place to tour.

Flem274*

123/5
No. Cricket needs as many strong teams as possible. The romanticism of how sad it is the Windies have fallen is yuck but I like having good teams in cricket. Would love to see the West Indies back up on their feet.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
They're ****ing insipid. I was going to go tomorrow but why bother? It's like Australia are playing a grade team.

What standard is the highest level of cricket in the USA like? Because the only way I can see the WIs becoming a consistent force again is an association with some money and an administrative overhaul.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suspect the ICC would be more inclined to a two-tier Test Championship than killing off WI Test cricket.

If only they were inclined to give them better funding.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I also agree that it's harsh to judge them on performances in Australia. They were improving as a test nation last year or so. Australia can be a tough place to tour.
Nah, WI have definitely going down hill gor a while. They haven't really shown signs of improvement since Narine's emergence in 2012.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's seriously more active threads on them than wickets they've taken this series

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They're ****ing insipid. I was going to go tomorrow but why bother? It's like Australia are playing a grade team.

What standard is the highest level of cricket in the USA like? Because the only way I can see the WIs becoming a consistent force again is an association with some money and an administrative overhaul.
My information is some years old. There is no first class cricket in North America. One or two cities have a high calibre of club cricket that is played on astro turf. It is not particularly difficult to make team Canada or Team USA.

As of two years ago there was a massive dispute in USA adminstration as to who would run the game.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I suspect the ICC would be more inclined to a two-tier Test Championship than killing off WI Test cricket.

If only they were inclined to give them better funding.
I came in to mention this.

Perhaps it's time for a two-tier Test Championship. 6 or 7 teams in each tier, promotion/relegation matches or a series every year, teams only play other teams within their tier. These one-sided thrashings when NZ and Aussie are only playing 2 or 3 Test series is such a waste of potentially engaging matches.

Probably Tier 1

South Africa
Australia
England
India
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

Tier 2

Bangladesh
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Ireland
Afghanistan
Scotland
Kenya/Holland/UAE etc.

TheJediBrah

This sustained anti-West Indies ignorance from many fans is really getting tiresome. Obviously they're not as good as they used to be, and they're not a dominant side right now, but it seems that everyone is just ignoring how well Australia is playing right now, in home conditions. Their batting and bowling has been scarily good. The Windies performance is not as bad as it is being made to look (though it is bad).

They drew a series with England less than a year ago. It honestly just seems like some people are refusing to believe that Australia are playing as well as they are right now so it's all on the Windies.

cliffs: They are bad, but nowhere near as bad as people are making out

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah we should totally kick them out. We should've kicked them out when they were **** in the 30's too. Same as India and NZ. It should just be perma-Ashes.

flibbertyjibber

This sustained anti-West Indies ignorance from many fans is really getting tiresome. Obviously they're not as good as they used to be, and they're not a dominant side right now, but it seems that everyone is just ignoring how well Australia is playing right now, in home conditions. Their batting and bowling has been scarily good. The Windies performance is not as bad as it is being made to look (though it is bad).

They drew a series with England less than a year ago. It honestly just seems like some people are refusing to believe that Australia are playing as well as they are right now so it's all on the Windies.

cliffs: They are bad, but nowhere near as bad as people are making out
Agree with this, are people going to say the plug should be pulled on Australia/England/India when they go away from home and get gubbed? No.

WI are a shambles at present but virtually every nation is a shambles at some stage and nobody calls for them to be booted out. Maybe you look at not giving them 3 or 4 match series in future till they show signs of a revival but certainly no plug pulling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think anyone should be kicked out. I do like the idea of a two Tier test system with people moving up and down after each cycle or however they define it. BTW, I did watch the game yest and today and Australia are not playing "Scary" good. Their batting is nothing outstanding and apart from Pattinson (and to an extent, Lyon), I don't any of the bowlers stood out. Windies inability is painfully obvious for anyone watching, IMO.

adub

International Captain
Nah, they are ****ing insipid. I wish it wasn't so, but they are. Maybe the two tier thing is the way to go. Ireland or Afghanistan would put up a better fight than this current Windies side. But the big three will need to provide the coin to keep these teams going at test level.

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
I came in to mention this.

Perhaps it's time for a two-tier Test Championship. 6 or 7 teams in each tier, promotion/relegation matches or a series every year, teams only play other teams within their tier. These one-sided thrashings when NZ and Aussie are only playing 2 or 3 Test series is such a waste of potentially engaging matches.

Probably Tier 1

South Africa
Australia
England
India
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

Tier 2

Bangladesh
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Ireland
Afghanistan
Scotland
Kenya/Holland/UAE etc.
It would be terrible if teams can only play within their tier. How do you think New Zealand Cricket would fund their domestic competitions and youth development if they didn't have bumper tours against India and Australia? I think the best test cricket countries shouldn't have to play the worst teams much. A division structure which cuts the next tier off entirely just reinforces that separation.