• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What makes you love the sport of cricket so much ?

KL70

Cricket Spectator
What is it that you (seriously or humorously) think makes men like
yourself and others, love the sport of cricket so much ?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
tactics, stats, the joy of taking catches, knocking stumps out or hitting 6's. the challenge to keep improving.

Swervy

International Captain
coz its a strange game really when you think about it.No game that i can think of combines physical ability, mental toughness and the environment that its played in in such a manner.Its one of the reasons why it is so unpredictable and for me, so exciting to play and watch

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love the tactics bit, I understand that all sports have it but the fact that you can plan 2 days ahead in a test match is amazing. Also the fact that for 2 days a team can dominate, and then the match can turn on its head. Brilliant.

I also love the stats of it all, every single thing can be analysed. Just a beautiful sport.

Prof_Lupin

Cricket Spectator
I love it b/c you cannot preditct but yet you can. atch my drift. who woulda thought that India would win the Adelaide test after Pontings' double ton? Yet you knew that India would loose the VB final after the 360, but you thought india would loose after eng put on a 325 in the natwest thing but they chased it.

that's what makes it fun. the adrelanie (sp?) rush.

now about playing-

about using your mind. anyone can succed or win, it all depends on your mind (so not really anyone). The thrill of getting a ton (or double) or a wicket is to relish. No other sport gives you that.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
its lot better than that crappy copy called
baseball. jeez to come think of it lot americans dont even know what cricket is,

had they grown up with fair chance of watching both games iam sure baseall would have been long dead....

maybe with another form of cricket like short version off ODI . ICC can kill baseball in us and other countries. god help americans who have to go thru crappy baseball.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1/ The satisfying "thwack" of ball against corrugated iron boundary after hitting a four... Our ground is like Sabina Park with its bobbly outfield, corrugated iron and green hills in the background, just being able to play there is enjoyable in itself...

2/ Lying down on the thick grass of Benoni or Centurion with the smell of braais in the heavy air, the sun beating down making the pitch shimmer, and spending a lazy day under a tree watching others toil in the heat... you havent seen cricket until you have watched it in SA...

3/ Watching Allan Donald as an impressionable youngster glide in like he was was walking on water was one of my fondest childhood memories... Cricket sometimes gives moments that are indelible in it's supporters minds, that was mine :)

4/ Watching Mark Waugh, Azharuddin or VVS Laxman too... Batting is one of the most expressive forms of art when its being done by these craftsmen....

5/ Above all, being able to chat on a friendly basis to the most seasoned professionals... it wouldnt happen in many sports these days... Shaking hands with a guy who has reached a personal landmark is the kind of stuff that we should battle hard to keep... Cricket should battle hard to keep its ideal balance of agression and friendliness....

Oh, harry... i am a baseball fan.. I value it because it is more readily digestible, more exciting maybe... But it doesnt touch cricket for sportsmanship, elegance or skill IMO....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I haven't the slightest clue.
IMO no-one really knows why they like what they do, it's just an inexplicable sense of attraction.
If you go down to "I like the tactics" etc. then you have to go to "what do you like about tactics".
In the end, no-one can explain why they like something, as I say.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
From action packed ODI's to the tactical battles of a test.
The statsitical side of the game.
The satisfaction of smashing a six or nocking someones stumps over.

I could go on and on, though simply the fact is that I love cricket :D