• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Broad v Mitchell Johnson

Who is the better player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
Broad: 2514 runs at 23.57, 1 hundred; 315 wickets at 29.12, 14 five-fors.
Johnson: 2065 runs at 22.2, 1 hundred; 313 wickets at 28.4, 12 five-fors.

Broad is kind of a less extreme version of Johnson IMO. When he's on song he's irresistible - decent enough pace, gets bounce and moves it around. When he's below his best he's not that threatening but lacks the massive brain implosions Johnson suffered from. I think he's a very good bowler, one of those blokes you can watch for one over and tell whether it's going to be his day.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They are both devastating when on song. Probably take Johnson because of his ability to take the pitch out of the equation (thinking of his first innings spell at Adelaide in 2013), then again, Broad is much better at exploiting overcast conditions, so it's pretty even.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You'd probably rather Broad. When he's not on it he at least tends to avoid getting flogged round the park.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They are both devastating when on song. Probably take Johnson because of his ability to take the pitch out of the equation (thinking of his first innings spell at Adelaide in 2013), then again, Broad is much better at exploiting overcast conditions, so it's pretty even.
Whoa when did vcs come back

Athlai

Not Terrible
Depends, Broad would be better for a mediocre attack, Johnson better for a strong one. Same with the batting arguably.

Broad has that look about him that tells you immediately that he would be comfortable opening the bowling in Sydney on Mardi Gras night. But then Johnson more than holds his own with his handlebar moustache that would be suited perfectly to a stint as the police officer in The Village People. Tough to split. Perhaps Broad by a head.

Last edited:

Daemon

Reckon Broad's destructive spells aren't that far off from Mitch's. '13 v Eng and SA were clearly superior to anything Broad's done but beyond that Broad has the edge.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reckon Broad's destructive spells aren't that far off from Mitch's. '13 v Eng and SA were clearly superior to anything Broad's done but beyond that Broad has the edge.
Johnson's were terrifying, raw pace etc, which gives off a more destructive vibe than a spell like Broad's 8-15, I guess

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mitch's '13 Ashes and Broad '11 series vs. India are both some of the best all-round performances I can remember.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You definitely tend to think of Johnson as having a greater top level, but I don't think it's actually reflected in figures.

He had a couple of really good short periods and a few periods where he bowled complete dross. But I think him being a major hot or cold guy from game to game is a bit overstated. Only really happened in 2010/11 Ashes and arguably the 2009 series.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Pass - I would have to go look up their records intimately to really put a firm foot forward as to who was better.

The only thing I wanted to contribute is that Broad was the more skilled bowler out of the two. I have been wanting to post this for ages but haven't found the right thread. ATM Broad is the only bowler in the world who can seam it both ways at will.

In terms of pure bowling smarts Johnson became quite wiley about 3 years ago. He gets a glint in his eye and you know what ball is coming next. He sizes batsman up quickly and picks the right ball for them. Broad seems better at sizing up pitches and conditions however which can lead to him cracking the code that day and getting 6fer.

91Jmay

International Coach
Echo what basically everyone else has said, but I'd pick Johnson purely on an aesthetic level. I've never seen more enthralling cricket than him charging in, at his best on a quick pitch.

flibbertyjibber

Johnson has the higher peak and lower trough so it depends what you really want to go for. Think any side would have taken either but you couldn't carry both given their long periods of nothingness. I just go for Broad simply because he rarely went round the park at a stupid rate or bowled at 2nd slip regularly. Also the Aussies hate him so that counts for a lot.