cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Brendon McCullum to retire after upcoming Australia series

Brendon McCullum to retire after upcoming Australia series

To the surprise of absolutely no-one, Brendon McCullum is about to announce that the upcoming test series against Australia will be his last. He also won't be going to the world T20 later in the year.

Brendon McCullum to quit Black Caps, last match will be in February - Sport - NZ Herald News

Pity, his absence will definitely leave a big hole (even if his form and method this season haven't been fantastic). But his skill and experience against quality pace bowling will definitely be missed when we tour SA next year. And we'll obviously miss his T20 batting enormously - consistently one of the top 5 best T20 bats throughout his career imo.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 21-12-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Hoping we send him off in a big way by beating the Australians. Will be a cracker of a series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Also raises an interesting question as to who should take over the captaincy. Do you appoint Taylor as a caretaker captain for a couple of years (unlikely I know given how his last stint turned out), or do you throw Williamson in the deep-end?

International Regular
    Still not going to forgive him for dropping that catch against India in the World Cup.
    Jezroy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Also raises an interesting question as to who should take over the captaincy. Do you appoint Taylor as a caretaker captain for a couple of years (unlikely I know given how his last stint turned out), or do you throw Williamson in the deep-end?
    Might as well, right now batting is just a pitiful chore that needs to be brushed aside.

Pity about McCullum too, don't want him to leave. He's made cricket so interesting of late with his meme-tier play and his lose-to-win mantra coupled with his theses on earning the right to be aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    i like many come to cw to briefly escape the pain of mediocre and obscure existence by being mediocre and obscure on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitycreeper View Post
    been speakin to this lass for a while finally got her round muy house. whakcd on netflix and told her to pick a film. big mistake cos she picked ****in footlose. 2 hours of torture and she dint even blow me. shambles. safe to say we arent talkin no more

Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Still not going to forgive him for dropping that catch against India in the World Cup.
    Uh when was this? lol.

Surprised he's skipping World T20, thought he'd want to have a crack at winning it, especially consider T20 is his best format.

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Uh when was this? lol.

Around the 2:25 mark. Take note watson, RTB holds a grudge.

Yeah, not playing the World T20 is weird.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Knew it was coming, but still sad. I'll have to make sure I go to one of the Eden Park games this summer to see him bat one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Yeah, not playing the World T20 is weird.
    Agreed. Nobody has close to the experience he has in India when it comes to T20 due to the IPL. Very odd he is not hanging around for that. What hitter are they planning to replace him with at the top?

U19 Cricketer
    He's a good, cool and talented cricketer, but nothing great. He underachieved for sure. His captaincy is world-class, and likely to affect New Zealand hard. Good captaincy makes a big difference in this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    To the surprise of absolutely no-one.
    I mustn't have kept up with the rumours and his comments, because this caught be by surprise. Thought he had another few years left in him. In fact his sixes record was discussed on "Inside Cricket" here in Aus and Mark Waugh said that he's likely to go on for another 2 years at least and so will significantly widen the gap between him and Gilly.

Evidently not.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Classic Aussie media making up their own opinions and telling all as fact without actually doing some research.. As an NRL/Warriors supporter it drives me insane!

Real shame he's not going to the T20 World Cup, seemed like the ideal swansong? I'm interested to know why not. No.5 is going to have some big shoes to fill! (I'm not thinking Anderson, Santner or Neesham BTW... they are all good 6/7 options IMO, Anderson probably the only one who has the potential to move up, but needs to produce more runs)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Had such a love/hate fan relationship with McCullum over the years. Frustration at his continual waste of talent early on, but at the same time acknowledging he was a gun keeper. And then later on, elation at his mature batting only for brain dead shot selection to keep coming to the fore. He's certainly been entertaining though, in more ways than one. The Black Caps and cricket in general will miss him.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

He's earned the right to retire.
    Bahnz, _Ed_, honestbharani and 9 others like this.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information