• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum to retire after upcoming Australia series

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's one thing to be famous for a sport in a country where it's almost a national religion, it's another to be known for that sport in a country who have never even seen or really heard of the sport at all.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'd say that with 1,200,000,000 people in India, anyone who has recently played either for or against the Indian national side or played IPL at any point would be better known than any rugby player ever.

NZTailender

I'd say that with 1,200,000,000 people in India, anyone who has recently played either for or against the Indian national side or played IPL at any point would be better known than any rugby player ever.
Quantitative not qualitative etc.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Baz also holds more meaningful records than Lomu. Lomu was a beast, sure, but he played as part of a killer team unit that was the world champs.

I'm sure had Baz batted 5 his entire career, never wicket kept and come in behind a batting line up that rated as highly as the forward pack that Lomu got to play with, he'd have been sensational.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Well played McCullum.

Going to miss one of the greatest modern 'original's of the game.

Averaged close to 45 since 2010 from over 50 test matches while captaining a bulk of them, instrumental in inducing the ***eh back into NZ cricket.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Probably more people know who Matt Henry is than either Dan Carter or Richie McCaw.
It's one of the weird western quirks that this feels intuitively wrong.

Like reading about any of the Chinese-Asian-Indian involvement in world war 2. Absolutely mindblowing.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Well done Baz, will miss your attacking cricket at international level. One of the best cricketers for your country in a very long time..good luck for the future

NZTailender

Got some heat on Facebook for suggesting BMac is not top 10 NZ ATG Bats in Tests. Apparently he's about #2 because "he revolutionised the way batsmen batted."

I mean, really? L/O maybe, but in Tests? Seems like an amplified version of Michael Slater and Adam Gilchrist.

Genuine question tho: did he?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Got some heat on Facebook for suggesting BMac is not top 10 NZ ATG Bats in Tests. Apparently he's about #2 because "he revolutionised the way batsmen batted."

I mean, really? L/O maybe, but in Tests? Seems like an amplified version of Michael Slater and Adam Gilchrist.

Genuine question tho: did he?
Nah no way. He barely even had a consistent "style" in Tests. It's hardly like he had great success guns blazing every time.

The top 10 question is a little more difficult for me.

Definitely better = Crowe, Turner, Taylor, Williamson
Arguably better = Wright, Fleming, Astle, Sutcliffe, Jones, Richardson, Coney

Reid, Howarth, Congdon probably have arguments too. If we were only looking at his career from 2010 when he really (do we say matured when referring to Baz?) "matured" as a batsman then I think he was certainly prolific enough to be considered top 10.

His 2014 was also probably one of the best we've ever seen from a Kiwi.

NZTailender

my ten tbh

1. Crowe
2. Williamson
3. Taylor
4. Turner
5. Dempster
6. Sutcliffe
7. Donnelly
8. Jones
9. Reid
10. Fleming

Athlai

Not Terrible
Have always found it hard to place Dempster and Donnelly with how little Tests we played back in the 30s/40s.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Have always found it hard to place Dempster and Donnelly with how little Tests we played back in the 30s/40s.
Dempster is especially difficult to place as a lot of his test appearances were against what was effectively an England A side. Having said that, on the 3 occasions that he went up against Jardine's England side he still did pretty well, scoring a 100 and 2 50's (though he never had to face up to Larwood).

NZTailender

Indeed but if you look at their professional/FC record and the accounts from their contemporaries, they are rated incredibly highly.