18 52.94%
  • Root

2 5.88%
  • Smith

3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: How do Williamson/Root/Smith compare to Tendulkar/Ponting/Lara?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

How do Williamson/Root/Smith compare to Tendulkar/Ponting/Lara?

I see all 3 of those blokes as those rare talents that despite what stats may show, are just head and shoulders above any of their contemporaries (aside from AB). I feel in a way it parallels the great 3 from the late 90s to 2000s. Can they potentially become that good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    They are getting there and it does have a feel of the middle 90's watching these guys. Not just for the way that they do it as well as it not like they are like a Cook who does it in a more boring way. You could say that Williamson and Root are the Ponting and Tendulkar and Smith is a Lara in the fact that you haven't seen a player like him before.

Very much potentially on.

I know comparisons to Tendulkar are made with caution but the "little young guy just kicking ass" vibe of Kane is so similar to Sachin in the 90s.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I see all 3 of those blokes as those rare talents that despite what stats may show, are just head and shoulders above any of their contemporaries (aside from AB). I feel in a way it parallels the great 3 from the late 90s to 2000s. Can they potentially become that good?
    AB isn't their contemporary.
    indiaholic likes this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Be interesting to see which bowlers will test these blokes as they continue through their careers. Steyn is getting on a bit, as are Broad and Anderson. You never know from ne week to the next who'll play for Pakistan and Australia's attack is in transition. Boult and Southee are medium to long term locks fro NZ at least. India and SL at home will always be a challenge for anyone I suppose, but in general I'm not sure there's a bunch of stand out young bowlers coming through atm to match the excitement of the three blokes who are the subject of the thread.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Be interesting to see which bowlers will test these blokes as they continue through their careers. Steyn is getting on a bit, as are Broad and Anderson. You never know from ne week to the next who'll play for Pakistan and Australia's attack is in transition. Boult and Southee are medium to long term locks fro NZ at least. India and SL at home will always be a challenge for anyone I suppose, but in general I'm not sure there's a bunch of stand out young bowlers coming through atm to match the excitement of the three blokes who are the subject of the thread.
    Amir and asif are coming back
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon is potentially an exceptionally good attack.

Not sure who else is coming through the ranks around the world though.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon is potentially an exceptionally good attack.

Not sure who else is coming through the ranks around the world though.
    Getting Pattinson and Starc to stay on the field for long periods together may be a problem though. No doubting their potential but their fitness records are dubious to say the least.

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    I don't doubt that these guys are as good as the best batsmen from the past (Bradman aside obvs). The difference is that we've seen full careers of Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara so we know how good they are. With Williamson, Root and Smith there's always the chance that they're in a purple patch of some kind and won't be able to maintain that sort of form over a career.

I think Williamson and Root will. Not sold on Smith yet.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Sachin, Ponting and Lara all have claims to be the second best batsman of all time. While it would be tremendous to see the likes of Root, Wiliamson, Kohli, Smith and Mathews acheive that, there is a long way to go.

ABDV, on the other hand, is starting to compile a compelling case to be bracketed next to those three names.
    honestbharani likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I rate Smith very highly. He can end up even better than Tendulkar for me and at par with Lara if not better. He is a special player like Lara any ways, the likes of which I have not seen before. Williamson is very similar to Tendulkar in style and is also a future great. Like Tendulkar, his technique is excellent. He can make truckloads of runs as well. I hope New Zealand play enough tests. He can surpass Tendulkar as well in greatness but I am not sure if he will get the rightful recognition for that, even if he does. These are very special players. If either of them are on tv, I try to watch it as far as I can. I have not seen enough of Root. So I reserve my take on him for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    I rate Smith very highly. He can end up even better than Tendulkar for me and at par with Lara if not better. He is a special player like Lara any ways, the likes of which I have not seen before. Williamson is very similar to Tendulkar in style and is also a future great. Like Tendulkar, his technique is excellent. He can make truckloads of runs as well. I hope New Zealand play enough tests. He can surpass Tendulkar as well in greatness but I am not sure if he will get the rightful recognition for that, even if he does. These are very special players. If either of them are on tv, I try to watch it as far as I can. I have not seen enough of Root. So I reserve my take on him for now.
    I'll call this now but Root is the most complete English player I have seen. May be wrong but so far he looks a notch above any other England player of the last 30 years.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    I will try to watch him properly next time. I have heard lots of excellent praises of him which I am sure, are justified.

i swear it was definitely lara/tendulkar/waugh that people talked about in this way til at least 2000
    CricAddict likes this.
    cricket rules brah

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I'll call this now but Root is the most complete English player I have seen. May be wrong but so far he looks a notch above any other England player of the last 30 years.
    Agree with this. He's a clear class above all the others.
    flibbertyjibber likes this.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information