• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do Williamson/Root/Smith compare to Tendulkar/Ponting/Lara?

Who will history remember as the 3 greatest? [Pick 3]

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
I see all 3 of those blokes as those rare talents that despite what stats may show, are just head and shoulders above any of their contemporaries (aside from AB). I feel in a way it parallels the great 3 from the late 90s to 2000s. Can they potentially become that good?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They are getting there and it does have a feel of the middle 90's watching these guys. Not just for the way that they do it as well as it not like they are like a Cook who does it in a more boring way. You could say that Williamson and Root are the Ponting and Tendulkar and Smith is a Lara in the fact that you haven't seen a player like him before.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I see all 3 of those blokes as those rare talents that despite what stats may show, are just head and shoulders above any of their contemporaries (aside from AB). I feel in a way it parallels the great 3 from the late 90s to 2000s. Can they potentially become that good?
AB isn't their contemporary.

Burgey

Be interesting to see which bowlers will test these blokes as they continue through their careers. Steyn is getting on a bit, as are Broad and Anderson. You never know from ne week to the next who'll play for Pakistan and Australia's attack is in transition. Boult and Southee are medium to long term locks fro NZ at least. India and SL at home will always be a challenge for anyone I suppose, but in general I'm not sure there's a bunch of stand out young bowlers coming through atm to match the excitement of the three blokes who are the subject of the thread.

smash84

The Tiger King
Be interesting to see which bowlers will test these blokes as they continue through their careers. Steyn is getting on a bit, as are Broad and Anderson. You never know from ne week to the next who'll play for Pakistan and Australia's attack is in transition. Boult and Southee are medium to long term locks fro NZ at least. India and SL at home will always be a challenge for anyone I suppose, but in general I'm not sure there's a bunch of stand out young bowlers coming through atm to match the excitement of the three blokes who are the subject of the thread.
Amir and asif are coming back :ph34r:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon is potentially an exceptionally good attack.

Not sure who else is coming through the ranks around the world though.

flibbertyjibber

Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon is potentially an exceptionally good attack.

Not sure who else is coming through the ranks around the world though.
Getting Pattinson and Starc to stay on the field for long periods together may be a problem though. No doubting their potential but their fitness records are dubious to say the least.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I don't doubt that these guys are as good as the best batsmen from the past (Bradman aside obvs). The difference is that we've seen full careers of Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara so we know how good they are. With Williamson, Root and Smith there's always the chance that they're in a purple patch of some kind and won't be able to maintain that sort of form over a career.

I think Williamson and Root will. Not sold on Smith yet.

cnerd123

likes this
Sachin, Ponting and Lara all have claims to be the second best batsman of all time. While it would be tremendous to see the likes of Root, Wiliamson, Kohli, Smith and Mathews acheive that, there is a long way to go.

ABDV, on the other hand, is starting to compile a compelling case to be bracketed next to those three names.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I rate Smith very highly. He can end up even better than Tendulkar for me and at par with Lara if not better. He is a special player like Lara any ways, the likes of which I have not seen before. Williamson is very similar to Tendulkar in style and is also a future great. Like Tendulkar, his technique is excellent. He can make truckloads of runs as well. I hope New Zealand play enough tests. He can surpass Tendulkar as well in greatness but I am not sure if he will get the rightful recognition for that, even if he does. These are very special players. If either of them are on tv, I try to watch it as far as I can. I have not seen enough of Root. So I reserve my take on him for now.

flibbertyjibber

I rate Smith very highly. He can end up even better than Tendulkar for me and at par with Lara if not better. He is a special player like Lara any ways, the likes of which I have not seen before. Williamson is very similar to Tendulkar in style and is also a future great. Like Tendulkar, his technique is excellent. He can make truckloads of runs as well. I hope New Zealand play enough tests. He can surpass Tendulkar as well in greatness but I am not sure if he will get the rightful recognition for that, even if he does. These are very special players. If either of them are on tv, I try to watch it as far as I can. I have not seen enough of Root. So I reserve my take on him for now.
I'll call this now but Root is the most complete English player I have seen. May be wrong but so far he looks a notch above any other England player of the last 30 years.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will try to watch him properly next time. I have heard lots of excellent praises of him which I am sure, are justified. :)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i swear it was definitely lara/tendulkar/waugh that people talked about in this way til at least 2000

Burgey

I'll call this now but Root is the most complete English player I have seen. May be wrong but so far he looks a notch above any other England player of the last 30 years.
Pietersen is/ was a better player IMO. That's not a sledge at Root.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
i swear it was definitely lara/tendulkar/waugh that people talked about in this way til at least 2000
yeah it definitely was - I remember MRF signing all 3 as their sponsor and it was like "they've just got the 3 best batsmen in the world"

Ponting just replaced Waugh in that trio, which shows you how incredible Lara and particularly Tendulkar's longevity was.

viriya

International Captain
Are these three head and shoulders above Angelo right now? They are younger but I don't think they are clearly better than him.