• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2016 Under 19 Cricket World Cup

Burner

International Regular
Good for Windies Cricket. I gave them no chance of beating India but they've done it. Hopefully some of them gets to the senior teams.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Apart from the seam bowling, I thought this was going to be our weakest Under 19 lineup for sometime and that they had no chance in these conditions. Boy did they prove me wrong.

They started off terribly but those 3 matyches against Bangladesh were our first Under 19 international matches whereas literally all the other teams had experience under their belt. As soon as they got matches under their belt they improved enormously.

The real boost from watching these guys has been the seam bowling. Alzarri Joseph is just class and must be sent to the senior team pronto. He is too good and too fast for this level. Chemar Holder bowling at 140kph aged 17 is pretty impressive too so hopefully he will develop over the next few years and follow in Josephs footsteps. Corey Collymore did an outstanding job as bowling coach, I could see them all improving game by game and they all had the basics of line and length and decent enough seam positions. Can we please have Corey with the senior team? he knows his stuff.

As for the batting, that was less impressive but the all-rounders Pope, Paul and Springer look handy and can really smack the ball (the conveyor belt of big hitters rolls on) and Hetmeyer can definitely bat. What I like about him is he moves his feet, a rare trait for a modern West Indian batsman.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Bangladeshi batsmen unable to handle good pace bowling, completely unsurprising from that team of hacks really.
???

India did far worse against West Indies then what Bangladesh did. Bangladesh destroy their quick bowlers prior to the tournament, so they are not hacks. Also, Bangladesh toured South Africa last year where they won the series 5-2, so that proves they can play good pace bowling. But with your theory, I guess we can say teams such as New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are hacks since they are unable to handle good quality spin bowling. Invalid comment I must say.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
So, Bangladesh have done far better than what India have done against this West Indies side. They couldn't even score 150. What did Bangladesh score against their pace bowlers? thank-you. So, losing to them wasn't really a big deal. At least Bangladesh won against Sri Lanka to prove that they did not achieve a 3rd place due to any easy route by only facing South Africa as a major force (other teams were Namibia, Scotland and Nepal). Can't say much about either New Zealand or South Africa who couldn't even make it to the plate finals :laugh:

It's good to see though West Indies win it since I don't think anyone predicted they would win it before the tournament started. However, I still think they are shouldn't have made the 1/8 in the first place because of their controversial win over Zimbabwe. Everyone predicted India will win it. Shame.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Apart from the seam bowling, I thought this was going to be our weakest Under 19 lineup for sometime and that they had no chance in these conditions. Boy did they prove me wrong.

They started off terribly but those 3 matyches against Bangladesh were our first Under 19 international matches whereas literally all the other teams had experience under their belt. As soon as they got matches under their belt they improved enormously.

The real boost from watching these guys has been the seam bowling. Alzarri Joseph is just class and must be sent to the senior team pronto. He is too good and too fast for this level. Chemar Holder bowling at 140kph aged 17 is pretty impressive too so hopefully he will develop over the next few years and follow in Josephs footsteps. Corey Collymore did an outstanding job as bowling coach, I could see them all improving game by game and they all had the basics of line and length and decent enough seam positions. Can we please have Corey with the senior team? he knows his stuff.

As for the batting, that was less impressive but the all-rounders Pope, Paul and Springer look handy and can really smack the ball (the conveyor belt of big hitters rolls on) and Hetmeyer can definitely bat. What I like about him is he moves his feet, a rare trait for a modern West Indian batsman.

Who do you think can make it in the senior team in the next few years? Joseph, holder, hetmyer and Imlach looked good to me

Last edited: