• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC makes pay cuts to Associates,to shore up the big 3 .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Growing poorer in the Big Three era | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
This is after it was announced the other 7 test nations would take a large pay cut.
I see the writing on the wall except for the big 3.
I love a Big Three conpsiracy as much as the next guy, but:

more than 50 of the 95 non-Full Members of the ICC face, in real terms, a funding reduction in 2015-16 as compared to the previous year
Given that a chunk of Associate funding is being diverted to develop the two leading Associate nations, Ireland and Afghanistan, a number of countries believe that the two should receive their revenue from a different funding pot and thus prevent any future increase in funding for the two countries taking place at the expense of other Associates. Cricket Ireland is in agreement with the idea.
It seems as if, rather than cutting to the associate program overall as your thread title suggests, they've simply decided to focus more of the funds dedicated to associate development to the teams closest to Test status. Now I don't really think this is a particularly good idea given it would've been a different couple of teams ten years ago and the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan might not have developed to the place they're at now if the ICC had done this back then, but I don't really think it's accurate to say it's been done to "shore up the big 3".

brockley

International Captain
Their have been mass cuts to the other 7 test nations as well.
World division 6 cut,and European under 15 champs cut.
Their is definitely a downgrading.
They got rid of the under 19 qualifier a couple of years back,and teams had 2 qualify through their area,so their been cuts.
And its no good.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
The link does not seem to be working; and I cannot find the article with a cricinfo search. Tried google, it showed the article, but same result. Seem like cricinfo has removed the article. Strange.

And more like rule and divide, since they rule already. :(

brockley

International Captain
Looks like they have taken off the page from Cricinfo,not even in the news section now.
ICC action against Cricinfo?
As Ews said the increase in Irelands and Afghanistan budget has come from the Associate budget.
From memory Cricket Scotland has taken a $250,000 cut.
Rob Peter to pay Paul.
Icc gives with 1 hand and takes away with another.

cnerd123

likes this
There is a Reddit thread about the article and this removal, and it has the article reprinted in full in it for those interested.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
At the press meet an ICC official said media doesn't know about cricket finances and comments. Media person asked if he can know about the finances. ICC official responded with a straight 'No'. Heh.