cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Zealand's Mitchell Johnson?

  1. #1
    U19 12th Man thundaboult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    284

    New Zealand's Mitchell Johnson?

    In my opinion, the closest bowler we've got to Johnson is Mcclenaghan. I've always found a lot of similarity between the two. OK OK CALM DOWN I know that you're screaming at your screen right now reading this yelling at me askin me just what the **** I'm smokin but hear me out on this one aiiiiight?

    I'm simply gonna list some differences and most importantly similarities between them to let you know where I'm going with this one.

    Similarities - Lefty (duh), aggressive and hostile bowling, not known to be swing bowlers, big built physiques, similar attitudes (intimidate...or try to at least), try to bowl as fast as they can as that's their role within the team. Both don't mind short pitched bowling at all either and will keep running in all day and more often than not, will step up and get you that breakthrough wicket.

    Differences: Johnson is just plain faster. He legitimately is QUICK unlike Mcclenaghan who sure tries his best but can't match MJ's pace. But I should also point out, from what I've generally heard from people, Johnson was pretty damn slow compared to what people usually hyped him to be. And on the contrary, Mcclenagan at some stages has been faster than what people usually expect him to be. I've watched most of his matches and at his best he can notch 145+ and even hit 150.

    Now here's the deal, I ain't no technical cricket expert but I remember reading that before the 13-14 ashes, Johnson met Dennis Lillee and worked on improving his point of release and lengthening his run-up, which surprised him at how accurate he became and how much quicker he was. Before his

    Mcclenaghan might never play test matches but do y'all think that with some intervention and tinkering/tweaking of his own... (like re-instating bond as the bowling coach like I've been calling for fuh weeks now)...can he at least become a prolific Mitchell Johnson like bowler in the limited overs arena for NZ? Sounds unbelievable but hey a man can hope can't he? ....After all he does have a lot in common with Johnson and it ain't just that same first name.
    Last edited by thundaboult; 15-12-2015 at 07:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    41,588
    Uh no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    55,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Uh no.
    Rekt.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    If you want to get caught up in definitional problems, then don't have laws at all. About anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babar Hayat
    Chinese guy comes in

  4. #4
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    13,491
    Quote Originally Posted by thundaboult View Post
    In my opinion, the closest bowler we've got to Johnson is Mcclenaghan. I've always found a lot of similarity between the two. OK OK CALM DOWN I know that you're screaming at your screen right now reading this yelling at me askin me just what the **** I'm smokin but hear me out on this one aiiiiight?

    I'm simply gonna list some differences and most importantly similarities between them to let you know where I'm going with this one.

    Similarities - Lefty (duh), aggressive and hostile bowling, not known to be swing bowlers, big built physiques, similar attitudes (intimidate...or try to at least), try to bowl as fast as they can as that's their role within the team. Both don't mind short pitched bowling at all either and will keep running in all day and more often than not, will step up and get you that breakthrough wicket.

    Differences: Johnson is just plain faster. He legitimately is QUICK unlike Mcclenaghan who sure tries his best but can't match MJ's pace. But I should also point out, from what I've generally heard from people, Johnson was pretty damn slow compared to what people usually hyped him to be. And on the contrary, Mcclenagan at some stages has been faster than what people usually expect him to be. I've watched most of his matches and at his best he can notch 145+ and even hit 150.

    Now here's the deal, I ain't no technical cricket expert but I remember reading that before the 13-14 ashes, Johnson met Dennis Lillee and worked on improving his point of release and lengthening his run-up, which surprised him at how accurate he became and how much quicker he was. Before his

    Mcclenaghan might never play test matches but do y'all think that with some intervention and tinkering/tweaking of his own... (like re-instating bond as the bowling coach like I've been calling for fuh weeks now)...can he at least become a prolific Mitchell Johnson like bowler in the limited overs arena for NZ? Sounds unbelievable but hey a man can hope can't he? ....After all he does have a lot in common with Johnson and it ain't just that same first name.
    Setting aside for a moment everything else wrong with this post, just thought I'd comment on this. NZC didn't fire Bond. They didn't willingly replace him because they wanted someone different or wanted to move the coaching team in a new direction. Bond quit. He quit because he didn't fancy being away from his family for half the year - and because he can get better remuneration for a month's work in India. The NZC can't reinstate him, because Bond doesn't want to be reinstated. End of.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    9,910
    Parody thread that way ---------------->
    zorax likes this.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Shanto, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Afif, Saifuddin, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    I legit thought this was going to be about Wagner For some reason
    NZTailender and Bahnz like this.

  7. #7
    International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,362
    I reckon McClenaghan is unfairly maligned by many. I reckon he could hit 150 often if he practiced more and wasn't so lumbering and muscle-bound.

    Also, unlike Milne, Boult, Anderson et al., McClenaghan has a good frame for getting through Test match bowling.

    I don't expect it to happen as there are just too many guys who have proven Test match credentials when McClenaghan does not. But I think the guy has a lot of unrealised potential.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Marsden Bay, NZ
    Posts
    23,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I legit thought this was going to be about Wagner For some reason
    NZ's Peter Siddle.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    Who's Tim southee and doug bracewell and Trent bout then?

  10. #10
    U19 12th Man thundaboult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Setting aside for a moment everything else wrong with this post, just thought I'd comment on this. NZC didn't fire Bond. They didn't willingly replace him because they wanted someone different or wanted to move the coaching team in a new direction. Bond quit. He quit because he didn't fancy being away from his family for half the year - and because he can get better remuneration for a month's work in India. The NZC can't reinstate him, because Bond doesn't want to be reinstated. End of.
    I never said anything about a firing.... Simply want Bond to come back or hell, any better option than dimitri mascarenhas.

  11. #11
    U19 12th Man thundaboult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by athlai View Post
    uh no.
    lol

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    Thundaboult....is Trent boult better than Richard hadlee?

  13. #13
    U19 12th Man thundaboult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    I reckon McClenaghan is unfairly maligned by many. I reckon he could hit 150 often if he practiced more and wasn't so lumbering and muscle-bound.

    Also, unlike Milne, Boult, Anderson et al., McClenaghan has a good frame for getting through Test match bowling.

    I don't expect it to happen as there are just too many guys who have proven Test match credentials when McClenaghan does not. But I think the guy has a lot of unrealised potential.
    Yeah, I've always had a gut feeling about Mclenaghan that he can reach much further. Mitch Johnson at many stages was ridiculed as well and rose above it. That's how I'm looking at it in regards to Mitch Mcc, maybe there's just something he needs to tweak to break that glass barrier and get on the next level.

  14. #14
    U19 12th Man thundaboult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Thundaboult....is Trent boult better than Richard hadlee?
    Lmao
    Last edited by thundaboult; 15-12-2015 at 09:29 PM.

  15. #15
    U19 12th Man thundaboult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    284
    And btw I never meant to say that Mcclenghan is someone who is on the level or close to the level of Johnson. I'm not comparing the two. Simply stating some obvious similarities and wondering that if there is something still to be done with Mcclenaghan that can be improved to produce a better bowler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mitchell Johnson
    By Red Hill in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-11-2013, 02:38 AM
  2. What should we do with Mitchell Johnson?
    By Gamblor in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 22-08-2009, 01:29 PM
  3. My take on Mitchell Johnson
    By Jakester1288 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 09:18 PM
  4. Mitchell Johnson
    By andyc in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •