• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand's Mitchell Johnson?

thundaboult

International Debutant
In my opinion, the closest bowler we've got to Johnson is Mcclenaghan. I've always found a lot of similarity between the two. OK OK CALM DOWN I know that you're screaming at your screen right now reading this yelling at me askin me just what the **** I'm smokin but hear me out on this one aiiiiight?

I'm simply gonna list some differences and most importantly similarities between them to let you know where I'm going with this one.

Similarities - Lefty (duh), aggressive and hostile bowling, not known to be swing bowlers, big built physiques, similar attitudes (intimidate...or try to at least), try to bowl as fast as they can as that's their role within the team. Both don't mind short pitched bowling at all either and will keep running in all day and more often than not, will step up and get you that breakthrough wicket.

Differences: Johnson is just plain faster. He legitimately is QUICK unlike Mcclenaghan who sure tries his best but can't match MJ's pace. But I should also point out, from what I've generally heard from people, Johnson was pretty damn slow compared to what people usually hyped him to be. And on the contrary, Mcclenagan at some stages has been faster than what people usually expect him to be. I've watched most of his matches and at his best he can notch 145+ and even hit 150.

Now here's the deal, I ain't no technical cricket expert but I remember reading that before the 13-14 ashes, Johnson met Dennis Lillee and worked on improving his point of release and lengthening his run-up, which surprised him at how accurate he became and how much quicker he was. Before his

Mcclenaghan might never play test matches but do y'all think that with some intervention and tinkering/tweaking of his own... (like re-instating bond as the bowling coach like I've been calling for fuh weeks now)...can he at least become a prolific Mitchell Johnson like bowler in the limited overs arena for NZ? Sounds unbelievable but hey a man can hope can't he? ....After all he does have a lot in common with Johnson and it ain't just that same first name.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In my opinion, the closest bowler we've got to Johnson is Mcclenaghan. I've always found a lot of similarity between the two. OK OK CALM DOWN I know that you're screaming at your screen right now reading this yelling at me askin me just what the **** I'm smokin but hear me out on this one aiiiiight?

I'm simply gonna list some differences and most importantly similarities between them to let you know where I'm going with this one.

Similarities - Lefty (duh), aggressive and hostile bowling, not known to be swing bowlers, big built physiques, similar attitudes (intimidate...or try to at least), try to bowl as fast as they can as that's their role within the team. Both don't mind short pitched bowling at all either and will keep running in all day and more often than not, will step up and get you that breakthrough wicket.

Differences: Johnson is just plain faster. He legitimately is QUICK unlike Mcclenaghan who sure tries his best but can't match MJ's pace. But I should also point out, from what I've generally heard from people, Johnson was pretty damn slow compared to what people usually hyped him to be. And on the contrary, Mcclenagan at some stages has been faster than what people usually expect him to be. I've watched most of his matches and at his best he can notch 145+ and even hit 150.

Now here's the deal, I ain't no technical cricket expert but I remember reading that before the 13-14 ashes, Johnson met Dennis Lillee and worked on improving his point of release and lengthening his run-up, which surprised him at how accurate he became and how much quicker he was. Before his

Mcclenaghan might never play test matches but do y'all think that with some intervention and tinkering/tweaking of his own... (like re-instating bond as the bowling coach like I've been calling for fuh weeks now)...can he at least become a prolific Mitchell Johnson like bowler in the limited overs arena for NZ? Sounds unbelievable but hey a man can hope can't he? ....After all he does have a lot in common with Johnson and it ain't just that same first name.
Setting aside for a moment everything else wrong with this post, just thought I'd comment on this. NZC didn't fire Bond. They didn't willingly replace him because they wanted someone different or wanted to move the coaching team in a new direction. Bond quit. He quit because he didn't fancy being away from his family for half the year - and because he can get better remuneration for a month's work in India. The NZC can't reinstate him, because Bond doesn't want to be reinstated. End of.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I reckon McClenaghan is unfairly maligned by many. I reckon he could hit 150 often if he practiced more and wasn't so lumbering and muscle-bound.

Also, unlike Milne, Boult, Anderson et al., McClenaghan has a good frame for getting through Test match bowling.

I don't expect it to happen as there are just too many guys who have proven Test match credentials when McClenaghan does not. But I think the guy has a lot of unrealised potential.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Setting aside for a moment everything else wrong with this post, just thought I'd comment on this. NZC didn't fire Bond. They didn't willingly replace him because they wanted someone different or wanted to move the coaching team in a new direction. Bond quit. He quit because he didn't fancy being away from his family for half the year - and because he can get better remuneration for a month's work in India. The NZC can't reinstate him, because Bond doesn't want to be reinstated. End of.
I never said anything about a firing.... Simply want Bond to come back or hell, any better option than dimitri mascarenhas.

thundaboult

International Debutant
I reckon McClenaghan is unfairly maligned by many. I reckon he could hit 150 often if he practiced more and wasn't so lumbering and muscle-bound.

Also, unlike Milne, Boult, Anderson et al., McClenaghan has a good frame for getting through Test match bowling.

I don't expect it to happen as there are just too many guys who have proven Test match credentials when McClenaghan does not. But I think the guy has a lot of unrealised potential.
Yeah, I've always had a gut feeling about Mclenaghan that he can reach much further. Mitch Johnson at many stages was ridiculed as well and rose above it. That's how I'm looking at it in regards to Mitch Mcc, maybe there's just something he needs to tweak to break that glass barrier and get on the next level.

thundaboult

International Debutant
And btw I never meant to say that Mcclenghan is someone who is on the level or close to the level of Johnson. I'm not comparing the two. Simply stating some obvious similarities and wondering that if there is something still to be done with Mcclenaghan that can be improved to produce a better bowler.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I've always had a gut feeling about Mclenaghan that he can reach much further. Mitch Johnson at many stages was ridiculed as well and rose above it. That's how I'm looking at it in regards to Mitch Mcc, maybe there's just something he needs to tweak to break that glass barrier and get on the next level.
Glass barriers are usually mentioned for disadvantaged groups such as women seeking promotions

thundaboult

International Debutant
Glass barriers are usually mentioned for disadvantaged groups such as women seeking promotions
Politcal science exam all-nighters are getting to my head :laugh: ....along with other things making me hope Mcclenaghan can be the next Mitch johnson lol

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I legit thought this was going to be about Wagner For some reason
Haha, my thoughts too when I saw the thread title, especially coming hot on the heels of Wagner employing a Mitch-esque line of attack against Sri Lanka over the weekend.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I never said anything about a firing.... Simply want Bond to come back or hell, any better option than dimitri mascarenhas.
Yeah well - wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which fills up first.

Anyway, I don't think people should go crazy yet with saying that Mascarenhas is responsible for all our problems. Southee is probably bowling better now than he did at any point during the last 6 months of Bond's tenure, and Boult's issues are clearly injury related. The prep work leading into this summer was obviously poor but the bowling attack has noticeably improved over the last month and operated pretty well together in the last test (Boult excepted).