• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Advice

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Hi guys, I need some advice from some top order batters.

Im a all rounder, and bat around 7. This season im only averaging 11 though. First game of season i scored a 28, however then i broke my hand and since then my batting has been extremely poor (0, 1, 12, 1, 20) *waits for the laughter :P* I am just wondering if this may have something to do with lack of confidence? Or it might just be my technique that is up the river without a paddle. My dismisals for the season have been: Runout (by partner :!( ) - 1. Played on 3 times, Bowled 1ce, and LBW 1ce.

I know you may think my technique is really poor to of played on 3 times, but only 1 of those was a inside edge onto the stumps, others involved smashing a ball into foot and hitting stumps, amusing yes, even more frustrating though.

My main troubles are with swing. I just cant seem to time it when the ball is swinging alot. (which is how i got bowled and my lbw, stuck on the crease with a swinging ball). I just want to make a few 30's for my team instead of being stuck in the 20's, or not even getting to the 20's. :rolleyes:

I know its not much to go on, but i can answer any further questions if needed. I just need to improve my batting for the last game of season vs the top side.

Thanks
Dave

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well what are you thinking when you go out to bat?

Are you thinking about your hand? previous scores?

As for swing bowling...sometimes you will get beaten, but as long as you play with a straight bat & look to play in the 'V' then you can narrow the chances of at least being caught behind.
The important thing is to keep bat & pad close together & to not reach for the ball.

Craig

World Traveller
AUST_HiTMaN said:
My main troubles are with swing. I just cant seem to time it when the ball is swinging alot. (which is how i got bowled and my lbw, stuck on the crease with a swinging ball). I just want to make a few 30's for my team instead of being stuck in the 20's, or not even getting to the 20's. :rolleyes:
Simple keep your eye on the bll the same time and keep your head straight.

Sounds basic it is because it is.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
When i go out to bat i am mainly thinking about 3 things.

1. What the ball is doing in the air and off the pitch.
2. Try to think about making a decent score.
3. How i will go about my innings (all out attack, or defence)

Im not getting caught behind from the swing, its just got me all inside out, as ive been bowled from it, lbw, and i inside edged it on.

Bat and pad was a problem for me and i found it was a problem with my backlift. I wasnt brining the bat back straight, and consequently i was coming across the ball slightly.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well your modes of dismissal suggest to me you are getting caught on the crease a bit by the swinging ball.
Now one way of getting your feet moving early on is to have a bit of an initial movement just before the bowler releases the ball , not a huge walk but just a slight step into line & then continue the foot movement.

Most top level players do this , Michael Slater walked across his stumps at the point of delivery (not so advisable) , while Steve Waugh's initial movement was back & across , Rahul Dravid's is a positive step onto the front foot.

Another problem with alot of batsman our age is they dont really watch the ball closely enough , almost all should be keeping a closer eye on it.
As the bowler is running in you should be watching the ball in his hand , be thinking about the ball & nothing else , I used to mutter to myself as he ran in "watch the ball".

You seem to have a bit in common with me ..... Im also 15 & an allrounder who bats at 7 :D.....my names David aswell

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
just gotta put the failures out of your head. im in a similar boat to you. im an all rounder, more of a batter though, i bat at 3-5. this years weather has been a disgrace, thus damp wet soft pitches. i also had my appendix out after three weeks. this year i have scored 11 12 37 injury 5 4 0 28. this has been very frustrating for me after my past season. i was in the clubs second team - and was the top run scorer for the year. i started the season in the top grade, but obviously been dropped. i have been working hard with a coach and also an older member who just plays social cricket now but once was not bad. my last bat although only 28 gave me alot of confidence - 23 wickets were lost for only 198 runs in the day - it was they only ball to cause me any trouble, in a day when all bar one other batsmen were completly ****ed up. hahaha terriable i know but im sure uve all seen on the news the storms that have hit the lower norht island. worst in 100 yearsthey reckon. amazing effert by the groundsman to get a game. anyway my advice, which im still trying to follow haha, is just to work hard at practise - remeber how, why u failed - then at the game put the failures out of your head, worry bout this game not the past games

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Seems like there are a few of us in similar situations. . .

My last game where i got 20 felt good too, as i was seeing it like a beach ball, untill my partner ran me out. :rolleyes:

But i just find its hard to put previous failures out of your head, as your always trying to make up for the failures. Next week is the last game of the season, unless we make the finals... which is becoming increasingly unlikely. So ideally i would love to make a 30+ to end the season.