• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there ANY hope of a West Indian test cricket resurgence?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
People who talk about cycles seem to ignore that the decline of the West Indies has coincided with the rest of the game properly embracing professionalism.
This is what I said in my 2006 thread on this subject. While everyone else is now doing everything they can to improve standards, the Windies are still sitting around waiting for the next cycle (and blaming basketball).

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Migara, how does disbanding the WI help? The WI are the ****ty sum of ****tier parts. Nationalism is not a guarantee of professionalism and talent.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Well, at least NZ is trying to help the Windies by having an absolutely dire domestic T20 comp.

You others with your crowds, TV rights and overseas stars should try this as well.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems to me the answer is clearly to fire the WICB and get a new board that puts players first. If our (I speak as a fan, although a Yank) best players were on our test team, we still wouldn't be very good today, but we'd be a sight better than the joke we are now, alas.

And how to fire the WICB when they'll never resign, selfish, vain, *******s that they are? Simple really. CARICOM, instead of writing recommendations the WICB will never implement, should just create a new board, with members who care about the players and understand the economics of today's cricket, then apply to the ICC for recognition. Get the BCCI to support their application, which the BCCI would sure do, because they're never gonna get their money back from the WICB. While they're at it, CARICOM should set up rules of financial transparency for the new board, which would be a huge step forward as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, what's happening with the whole BCCI - WICB stoush? BCCI still threatening to sue?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In spite of everything, they only need to produce a couple of really good batsmen and 2 good bowlers in one generation who want to play tests and they'll be competitive again. The issue is getting kids wanting to play tests.

I'd have no idea what happens on the ground in the WIs, but some of the responsibility has to fall on guys like Viv, Holding, Ambrose, Walsh etc etc to promote the game among the juniors. And maybe take over the board of control.
Ummm, they kinda had that for a while (Chanders, Bravo, Taylor, Roach, not to mention Gayle when he could be arsed). The problem is that alongside their genuine top-class players there are some awful passengers and - as a few have noted - WI has always been less than the sum of it's parts.

There are a number of reasons why I'm skeptical about the potential for a WI revival

a) Administrative incompetence

b) Regional infighting

c) People and players don't care about test cricket

d) The domestic FC comp is a farce.

Until these issues are rectified I can't see things changing.

Redbacks

International Captain
No I don't think Windies will bounce back because none of the administrators of the other test teams actually care about anything but their own backyards.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No I don't think Windies will bounce back because none of the administrators of the other test teams actually care about anything but their own backyards.
Yeah, South Africa are good because BCCI gives a **** about them.

Flem274*

123/5
they still produce good talents, but they produce less who give a **** about fulfilling it for the team

The other 9 test nations have all had periods of suck but they still tried. That's the difference.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
they still produce good talents, but they produce less who give a **** about fulfilling it for the team

The other 9 test nations have all had periods of suck but they still tried. That's the difference.
Part of the problems is that as a team they're an artificial construct. Some of the guys from the region have had no problems giving a **** about representing T&T.

Redbacks

International Captain
Yeah, South Africa are good because BCCI gives a **** about them.
That's not quite what I meant to say. e.g. If we really cared about test cricket then surely Cricket Australia wouldn't be letting our big bash sides sign the best West Indian players for a mickey mouse T20 comp around a test series.

Secondly, given match payments are an issue for the smaller teams. The ICC should be taking fees from test matches and ensuring the a adequate level wage is given to all players at least, then the national boards can worry about the extras based on marketability etc.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Migara, how does disbanding the WI help? The WI are the ****ty sum of ****tier parts. Nationalism is not a guarantee of professionalism and talent.
At least the national pride will kick in. WICB is a mess because of regional politics. Country politics would be less complex. For an example a Guyanese team, under their flag almost would give 100% unlike Guyanese players in WI team.

watson

Banned
At least the national pride will kick in. WICB is a mess because of regional politics. Country politics would be less complex. For an example a Guyanese team, under their flag almost would give 100% unlike Guyanese players in WI team.
That seems weird to me. Surely there has to be an overiding "We're from the Caribbean" cultural identity?

No, there must be something more to it like "We hate the WI board because they are a bunch of incompetents who rip us off".

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That seems weird to me. Surely there has to be an overiding "We're from the Caribbean" cultural identity?

No, there must be something more to it like "We hate the WI board because they are a bunch of incompetents who rip us off".
no more than a "we're from Europe" cultural mentality.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

no more than a "we're from Europe" cultural mentality.
Would like to hear Beamer or Goughy on this. There probably is still some sort of pride in playing for the Windies because of their cricketing history and attempting to unite all the regions etc etc, I don't think we know just how much of it there is.