• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there ANY hope of a West Indian test cricket resurgence?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
history shows us in sports that teams go from good to bad to good to bad to good etc
Yeah, I think this is a bit different when you're talking about representative regional/national teams though. Sports can become stronger/weaker in some areas long-term. I don't think we can expect Zimbabwe Cricket to look forward to the cyclical nature of sport in the same way the Penrith Panthers can.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
why would it?
In spite of everything, they only need to produce a couple of really good batsmen and 2 good bowlers in one generation who want to play tests and they'll be competitive again. The issue is getting kids wanting to play tests.

I'd have no idea what happens on the ground in the WIs, but some of the responsibility has to fall on guys like Viv, Holding, Ambrose, Walsh etc etc to promote the game among the juniors. And maybe take over the board of control.

smash84

The Tiger King
In spite of everything, they only need to produce a couple of really good batsmen and 2 good bowlers in one generation who want to play tests and they'll be competitive again. The issue is getting kids wanting to play tests.

I'd have no idea what happens on the ground in the WIs, but some of the responsibility has to fall on guys like Viv, Holding, Ambrose, Walsh etc etc to promote the game among the juniors. And maybe take over the board of control.
Yes but they just seem to be getting worse and worse. Seems like interest in test cricket is dying with all the T20 leagues springing up which makes it unlikely for a "couple" of world class bowlers and batsmen to crop up.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i find all the well wishers so weird. were there similar well wishers for australia in the mid 80s? england in the 90s?

turnstyle

State 12th Man
i find all the well wishers so weird. were there similar well wishers for australia in the mid 80s? england in the 90s?
Four letters. WICB. At least the TCCB implemented central contracts which went some way to professionalising English cricket.

Interesting thought though. If the IPL was around in the early 90's, would we have seen players like Haydos, Langer, Martyn etc playing test cricket in the 2000's.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
guys remember when Australia sucked in the '80s and England sucked in the '90s?

Granted the Windie's **** patch has been a fair bit longer, it's not that dire. I don't see them getting relegated from test status or something due to the history. Just need a few good players to fire at the same time.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When Australia were pants they put a structure in place to attempt to improve things. Not sure what the Windies are doing other than hoping things go in cycles.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
guys remember when Australia sucked in the '80s and England sucked in the '90s?

Granted the Windie's **** patch has been a fair bit longer, it's not that dire. I don't see them getting relegated from test status or something due to the history. Just need a few good players to fire at the same time.
There's a difference between the Australia and England "sucking" and how completely useless WI have been for so long.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Disband them, and at least Guyana and T & T will become decent and at least Ireland level.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
People who talk about cycles seem to ignore that the decline of the West Indies has coincided with the rest of the game properly embracing professionalism.