• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne and MacGill playing together

Craig

World Traveller
Even though I dont think much of MacGill I still dont see why they cant play together.

I dont know if this "all out" pace bowling and bowling short will work, and I hope the Sri Lankans are working on the hooks and pull shots. If you cant handle short bowling, I sometimes wonder whether you should be playing Test cricket.

Anyway, do people here believe they may not bowl as well together because they are similar bowlers ie big turners, get lots of spin, flight, loop plenty of variations. I guess the only difference if that MacGill is more round arm then Warne and gets more turn?

Thoughts please. Are they different bowlers or similar?

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:

Anyway, do people here believe they may not bowl as well together because they are similar bowlers ie big turners, get lots of spin, flight, loop plenty of variations. I guess the only difference if that MacGill is more round arm then Warne and gets more turn?

Thoughts please. Are they different bowlers or similar?
NOBODY IS SIMILAR TO WARNE!!HE IS THE BEST SPINNER TO EVER GRACE TEST CRICKET SO DONT GO ON COMPARING SOME PIECE OF GARBAGE TO HIM!!!
when will the aussies learn???what more does brad hogg need to do to get into the test team(5 wickets not enough???)macgill bowls the same ball for 4 balls in an over...the other two being full tosses outside the off stump

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Re: Re: Warne and MacGill playing together

tooextracool said:
NOBODY IS SIMILAR TO WARNE!!HE IS THE BEST SPINNER TO EVER GRACE TEST CRICKET SO DONT GO ON COMPARING SOME PIECE OF GARBAGE TO HIM!!!
when will the aussies learn???what more does brad hogg need to do to get into the test team(5 wickets not enough???)macgill bowls the same ball for 4 balls in an over...the other two being full tosses outside the off stump
MacGill is much better than Hogg. By your logic, Clarke should make the test team on his bowling alone.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Re: Warne and MacGill playing together

tooextracool said:
First of all, Warne isnt the greatest spinner ever. One of the greatest, but I dont think he is as it hard to compare the eras.

tooextracool said:
when will the aussies learn???
I am not Australian. Its like calling a Scot a Pom.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well on the issue of them both playing together Im not really sure , the selector have alot more faith in Katich's bowling than it deserves & with Lehmann there aswell I get the feeling they might just play Warne with those two as backup.

As for MacGill & Warne being similar bowlers , well yes they are both leg-spinners & they both turn the ball lots , but similarities stop there & there is an awful lot more to it than that.

MacGill's control , as has been proclaimed time & again , is rubbish.
Any pressure he manages to build through his big turning leg breaks is quickly released by the array of full tosses / long hops he delivers with alarming frequency.
This is one reason I dont reckon he & Warne would bowl well in partnership , Warne relies on frustrating the batsman by stoping the runflow for long periods of time , thats why he has done so well when bowling in tandem with accurate trundlers (ie McGrath & Tim May).

MacGill's action being a bit round arm also means he really struggles to get any sort of drift or drop , crucial ingredients for any slow bowler.
Warne on the other hand is one of the greatest exponents of flight the world has ever seen.

Then there is the variety , MacGill has very few variations to compliment his stock leg break , and the one's he does have are poorly disguised & rather predictable.

Warne however has a legendary array of deliveries , which combined with his guile & knack of employing them at the perfect moment make him one hell of a bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
Re: Re: Re: Warne and MacGill playing together

Prince EWS said:
MacGill is much better than Hogg. By your logic, Clarke should make the test team on his bowling alone.
hogg has better control,more variety and is a good complement to warne. but really i dont think either of them are world class and the aussie selectors need to be looking for someone to replace warne.

Craig said:
First of all, Warne isnt the greatest spinner ever. One of the greatest, but I dont think he is as it hard to compare the eras.

I am not Australian. Its like calling a Scot a Pom.
when i said aussies i wasnt referring to you but the aussie selectors who refused to play hogg against indian even though macgill averaged at around 400 per wicket.
i guess your right about the fact that warne might not be the greatest as u cant compare him with spinners from the 50s and 60s like jim laker but from the last 3 decades i dont think there is any doubt that he is the best(its all about opinion though:) )

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I don't think there's any significant difference between him and Muralitharan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Warne and MacGill playing together

tooextracool said:
i guess your right about the fact that warne might not be the greatest as u cant compare him with spinners from the 50s and 60s like jim laker but from the last 3 decades i dont think there is any doubt that he is the best(its all about opinion though:) )
Believe me, there is no question Warne is a better bowler than Laker was!
A fingerspinner and a wristspinner. Simple as.
IMO the only bowlers to rival Warne are Muralitharan, Benaud, O'Reilly and esp. Grimmett. Grimmett, from what everyone said about him and the little I've seen, seemed like the best but of course it's impossible for anyone to say for certain, even if they somehow managed to watch both.
In the last 3 decades apart from Murali the only ones who come close are the Pakistanis Qadir and Ahmed.

Swervy

International Captain
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Warne and MacGill playing together

Richard said:
Believe me, there is no question Warne is a better bowler than Laker was!
A fingerspinner and a wristspinner. Simple as.
IMO the only bowlers to rival Warne are Muralitharan, Benaud, O'Reilly and esp. Grimmett. Grimmett, from what everyone said about him and the little I've seen, seemed like the best but of course it's impossible for anyone to say for certain, even if they somehow managed to watch both.
In the last 3 decades apart from Murali the only ones who come close are the Pakistanis Qadir and Ahmed.
I dont think you can really compare laker and warne..two completely different arts.Leg spinners have always been about attacking, whereas off spinning is a lot to do with control, hence offspinners have a tendancy to be more economical but dont have strike rates as low as leggies.

There is no doubt Warne has probably been the most influential bowler in the world for at least the last 40 years, before Warne, wrist spinners (and in general spin bowling) were dying out.

Qadir when he was at his peak was a frighteningly good bowler, but for me (again this is just my opinion) Mushtaq Ahmed doesnt really rate anywhere near Qadir

the thing with wrist spinning is that there are rarely any in betweens....you have to be damned good at what you do to have success with wrist spinning, if you arent damned good, you will get murdered, finger spinners can get away with not being exceptional at what they do, because it is a more defensive mode of bowling.

Macgill for me,when he gets it right, is right up there, but the obligitory full toss every over (well thats what it sems like anyway) that gets smashed to the boundary is what separates him from Warne.

for overall consistancy, I would go for Hogg over Macgill

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
macgill shouldn't play as long as warnes form is still fine, i would rather see Hogg play in the test side than macgill.

Andre

International Regular
Warne bowls with more overspin, MacGill bowls with more sidespin - thus the differance in type of leg-spinner.

Gut feeling tells me that if Hogg continues to bowl the way he is he will be retained for the Tests.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i would go the following lineup for the 1st test

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Katich
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
Gillespie
Kaspa

but the selectors will probably go for macgill instead of kaspa

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
Warne bowls with more overspin, MacGill bowls with more sidespin - thus the differance in type of leg-spinner.

Gut feeling tells me that if Hogg continues to bowl the way he is he will be retained for the Tests.
That would surprise me - having 3 spinners in an Australian squad. Well we havent seen that since Australia's tour of Zimbabwe in 1999.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
MacGill seems to lost all his confidence in his bowling at international level. How well the Indians played him and Warne's impending return seems to have undermined it. He'll play in one, maybe two tests with Warne. If he gets smashed, he'll be dropped and Australians will go for pace and the part time spinners & Warne.

it would surprise me that for at least one test the Australians will play 5 bowlers with Gilchrist at 6. Symonds is the wild card though.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
this is the topic of the current baggygreen poll

both 42.0% (922 votes)
neither 4.8% (105 votes)
only MacGill 7.5% (165 votes)
only Warne 45.7% (1002 votes)

thats the tally thus far

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
macgill shouldn't play as long as warnes form is still fine, i would rather see Hogg play in the test side than macgill.
Remind me of Hogg's Test career and First-Class 2003\04 averages again?
MacGill's bad, but he's not quite that bad! :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
You may be right but I would hope that the Australian selectors might have learned from their recent errors in basing Test selection on ODI form.