• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith contemplating SA comeback

slippy888

International Captain
Really don't know what to make of this, for sure Smith is one of south Africas best batsman of all time but he fell out of love for the game cricket a year ago and now he suddenly wants to come back, is Smith broke or cricket commentating not paying enough to live the lifestyle he wants.

Graeme Smith, the former South Africa captain who retired in March 2014, is considering a comeback to international cricket. He is getting ready for the Masters Champions League and reports suggest he might end up training with his old team-mates again, as they prepare for full series against England in December.

"For me, I'm at the cusp of whether I should play international cricket again or not," he told the National. "I'm 34 now, retired at 33, there's always that question mark of whether I can play for another three-four years. I know I can. But, it's just about ... I'm at the cusp. I'm looking forward to the MCL and take it from there."

Graeme Smith contemplating SA comeback | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Athlai

Not Terrible
If he was mentally shot then it's a lot fairer to the fans and arguably himself to say "I'm finished, I'm retiring" than to say "I'm taking a break, maybe I'll be back."

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ever since Andrew Jones I've generally been against the idea of comebacks.
Yeah this. It's very hard for those who've properly retired (and not just taken a year long sabbatical) to return) to get both their mental and physical state right for a return to the game. Most likely all he'll do is stain his legacy by ****ting the bed for a couple of months before quiting for realsies.

smash84

The Tiger King
I wanted to mention tarnishing his legacy but Bahnz put it very nicely. ****ting the bed

Yeah this. It's very hard for those who've properly retired (and not just taken a year long sabbatical) to return) to get both their mental and physical state right for a return to the game. Most likely all he'll do is stain his legacy by ****ting the bed for a couple of months before quiting for realsies.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maybe he just realised he has a couple of years left potentially and wants to give it a shot. Good on him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What I'm most worried about is this:
Graeme Smith will not return to Surrey | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

He retired from international cricket and decided to play on in domestic cricket for another couple of seasons.. and then couldn't even manage that because of a bad injury. I actually held out hope of him doing exactly this and having second thoughts before this happened, but I think he's done, and I suspect that if he tries to return he'll just do his knee again.

cnerd123

likes this
How many cricketers have made succesful comebacks from proper retirements?

Inb4 Howe_zat essay on Wifred Rhodes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How many cricketers have made succesful comebacks from proper retirements?

Inb4 Howe_zat essay on Wifred Rhodes.
Imran Khan, Carl Hooper and Bob Simpson spring to mind. They weren't at their absolute best but their teams were definitely better off for them coming back.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran Khan, Carl Hooper and Bob Simpson spring to mind. They weren't at their absolute best but their teams were definitely better off for them coming back.
Apart from Simpson those blokes were still playing FC cricket AFAIK. Smith isn't, despite being young enough to do so and make a semi-successful comeback.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I was thinking along the lines of those who had been out of cricket for quite a while.

Smith is fairly old IMO. He'll need a year or two of decent level cricket before he can return to the SA side; that means being selected at 35/36. Not impossible, but certainly unlikely.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its his right, see no issue with it. It is the choice of selectors to determine whether they pick him or not.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if he comes back via the CSA Three Day comp and the Sunfoil Series and performs well enough, why not pick him?

I doubt his knee will hold up for extended periods, but if he wants to play cricket he should play cricket.