• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kusal Perera tests positive for banned substance, out of NZ tour

slippy888

International Captain
Sri Lanka wicketkeeper-batsman Kusal Perera has tested positive for a banned substance and has been recalled from the New Zealand tour, Sri Lanka Cricket said in a release on Monday. Perera's sample was provided for a random test by the ICC in the recent home series against Pakistan. Kaushal Silva will replace Perera in the squad for the New Zealand tour. The first Test starts on December 10.

In its release, SLC said that it would take all steps required by the ICC to have a further sample tested and "make every endeavor" to enable Perera to resume playing cricket at the earliest opportunity in compliance with the ICC's regulations. Perera had been picked in all three squads for the tour.

Are you guys shocked that more players not getting caught these days considering all the power hitters batsman in world cricket, i am not saying Kusal is guilty or anything. But steroids really do help batsman to get more power on shots like the baseball hitters.

Kusal Perera tests positive for banned substance, out of NZ tour | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Are you guys shocked that more players not getting caught these days considering all the power hitters batsman in world cricket, i am not saying Kusal is guilty or anything. But steroids really do help batsman to get more power on shots like the baseball hitters.
no because of better bats and smaller boundaries

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always good to wait for results and an explanation for these sort of things. Had a friend who took some traditional malay medicine for headaches and was banned from representing Singapore in Silat. She had no idea. **** happens sometimes.

indiaholic

International Captain
Pretty much what Daemon said. He is guilty of stupidity but the malice charge can wait.. As an international cricketer it is your duty to ensure that your meds and supplements don't flout any rules.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No ten years ago that was an acceptable excuse. If tim southee let this happen to him I would be livid with him. The athlete needs to be smart in the year 2015 if you are unsure then ask.
Don't mean to diminish your friend's story or how genuine her mistake was.

Following the rules is hard but it is part of their job to read labels and ask questions for clarification.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well yeah but this is SLC we're talking about. Anyways, I completely agree that it's their responsibility and the punishment should probably disregard any claims of ignorance, but until we know the full story it wouldn't be fair to malign him.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I was responding to daemon and have no comment about what punishment he should get, other than being sent home sounds fair

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly as if on queue they intereviewed Tim Southee on the biggest media giant of our times, ONE Network news, for his views on the matter. Why they went to him I don't know but he is the sort of person you do go to for these questions it appears.

Tim: "Yeah - whenever you are unsure be it a medication or a treatment product just ask the physio or the trainer. It isn't worth the risk."

ITSTL that the trainer and physio are expected to know everything but perhaps the NZ team set up has made it part of their job description.

The SL coach sounded a bit clueless about the whole thing and didn't reference a breakdown in process. His response was honest but slipshod and it won't be long before there is a recurrence.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
No ten years ago that was an acceptable excuse. If tim southee let this happen to him I would be livid with him. The athlete needs to be smart in the year 2015 if you are unsure then ask.
Don't mean to diminish your friend's story or how genuine her mistake was.

Following the rules is hard but it is part of their job to read labels and ask questions for clarification.
Unfortunately in the supplements world the label often bears a mere passing resemblance to the actual content of the box

Doesn't help that one isotope of a compound is often banned while the other is permitted, either

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
they really do need to give up on this bull**** war on doping imo. Just make it free for all then everyone's on the same page.

Burner

International Regular
Is there any point in doping in cricket anyway? the **** is it going to do? give you a better technique?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any point in doping in cricket anyway? the **** is it going to do? give you a better technique?
i) more muscle = better athletic performance (fielding), better power hitting. Also obvious benefits for fastbowlers.

but that's not all they do:
ii) faster recovery time, which also means you can train longer and harder.

iii) enhanced cardiovascular ability. Benefits for batsmen and bowlers.

iv) other PEDs promote long term concentration e.g. those used in shooting sports.

etc etc.

All of this at the expense of long term health. If you allow PEDs to prevail in a sport what you're essentially saying to a young athlete is that they must sacrifice their long term health to have a viable career in sport.