• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Position of snicko mics

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Does anyone know where the snicko mics are placed? Are they placed close to the stumps or at various positions along the pitch? I ask because I feel nicks don't register as much when a player is playing a shot further down the pitch e.g. a sweep shot. Perhaps this is why Lyon's nick didn't register?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As I understand it, RTS uses the stump microphone to pick up sound, and yes apparently it doesn't work as well when the batsman is a long way down the wicket or where his body is in between the sound and the mic. It's worth noting that for the Lyon decision, not only did RTS not pick anything up when the ball passed the bat, it also didn't register anything when the ball hit his arm.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
didn't they have the audio file from the wrong ball or something?
No, when Llong asked for an lbw review, the C9 team (who were all in a state of 'wtf why is he taking so long when its obviously out?') gave him footage from the wrong ball.