• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting vs Sangakkara

Select the better Test batsman

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Monty Panesar

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would say even. Ponting's best was probably better and he was probably more damaging though.

Sanga was more consistent over the length of his career.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga was a flat track bully who feasted on flat pitches against third rate bowling attacks and went AWOL every time he faced real attacks on real test pitches of England, Australia and South Africa. Ponting > Sanga.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting never had to face McGrath and Warne at their peak, also had the advantage of playing in an All Time XI where he would come into to bat at 150/1 after 30 overs, and declined as soon as the All Time XI era ended, not to mention that he was a Fast track bully, having failed against spin. Sanga > Ponting.

cnerd123

likes this
Booo you cant argue both sides, what are you doing. You pick a side, and argue for it to your grave. Thats what CW is about. Have you only just joined???

Gob

International Coach
This thread has been a disappointment so far. Needs that CWball guy and Ikki to get going

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting by a clear but definable distance. Sitting a bit above with Lara and Tendulkar; just ahead of the liks of Sanga, Kallis and Dravid.

This thread has been a disappointment so far. Needs that CWball guy and Ikki to get going

The hero CW doesn't want, but needs :ph34r:

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Has Dawood ever written a poem about Sangakkara?

Both have abilities so if you hate them, you know the rest...

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pretty hard to separate them cricket wise. But Sanga humble and an allround great guy, so Sanga's better character gets him the win

Stefan9

International Debutant
Punter for me. Both great players but ponting seized the moment more often and took the game away.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I went for Ponting...Some players are touted to be great from the time they start their career and Ponting was one of them. Also , except India he was great and consistent in most of the countries he played . Sanga never gave the impression of being a great during the initial stages of his career and was mostly absent in England and SA and also most importantly for a supposed great never looked comfortable in these 2 places until his last series which ended up giving him a respectful average . (btw India as well). Tough one . My selection was not based on statistics i think it is more of a perception

Slifer

International Captain
When Ricky Ponting debuted, the likes of Amby, Walsh, Wasim, Donald and co.were still very much around. Ricky did very good against them all. Post 2000, Ponting for a time went into god and there was a realistic chance tear he'd finish with more centuries than srt (not to mention a 60+ average).

Alas Ricky slumped towards the tail end of his career and I think this is what everyone remembered. But for me, Ricky any day of the week.

Ps lol @ all those who have already forecast that kw>ricky

smash84

The Tiger King
When Ricky Ponting debuted, the likes of Amby, Walsh, Wasim, Donald and co.were still very much around. Ricky did very good against them all. Post 2000, Ponting for a time went into god and there was a realistic chance tear he'd finish with more centuries than srt (not to mention a 60+ average).

Alas Ricky slumped towards the tail end of his career and I think this is what everyone remembered. But for me, Ricky any day of the week.

Ps lol @ all those who have already forecast that kw>ricky
I think you didn't see Sangakkara play pace bowling if you think Sangakkara wouldn't have as well against these bowlers as Ponting had. Sangakkara wasn't a typical SC batsman. He didn't have problems against express pace or bounce. It was the swinging ball that could get him but he was exceptional against pace.

Slifer

International Captain
Oh no no no. Sanga is a gun player and one of the best ever, just that there was this very extended period time where a century was pretty much inevitable whenever Ricky came out to bat. I've seen this from very few players + what Ricky already did against the atg bowlers prior...ricky>sanga...imho

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you didn't see Sangakkara play pace bowling if you think Sangakkara wouldn't have as well against these bowlers as Ponting had. Sangakkara wasn't a typical SC batsman. He didn't have problems against express pace or bounce. It was the swinging ball that could get him but he was exceptional against pace.
Shoaib Akthar, at his blistering best was handled exceptionally by Sanga. And he had absolutely no issues against Steyn. It was players line Anderson, Philander, Junaid Khan or Zaheer Khan he had issues against, not express, not slow, and swung it a bit.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Played Bond superbly too. Pure pace was never a problem for Sanga. As said above, he struggled a bit vs slower bowlers who wobbled it around.

Mostly sucked balls against off spin too, I thought.

Last edited: