• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question: Draw

llalundo

Cricket Spectator
Hello

I'm new to cricket but start to understand basic concepts, scoring and stuff. But there's still a lot to learn. E.g.:

Assam 143/8 (84.0 ov, Wasiqur Rahman 13*, AK Das 0*, AA Gani 5/62) - Match over | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Why is the game between Assam and Bengal a draw when Bengal is so far ahead that Assam (probably) will never catch up. It end's after 8 overs in Assam's second innings. Bengal never gets to play their second innings.

And: When it's a draw, why do Bengal get 3 points and Assam 1?

Thanks for any hints.

Llalundo

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Basically a draw happens when the game has finished before a result has been reached, regardless of which team is ahead and by how much.

As for question 2, I believe it has to do with first-innings/bonus points, which are common occurances as a tie-breaker for draws in domestic FC competitions.

llalundo

Cricket Spectator
Basically a draw happens when the game has finished before a result has been reached, regardless of which team is ahead and by how much.

As for question 2, I believe it has to do with first-innings/bonus points, which are common occurances as a tie-breaker for draws in domestic FC competitions.
Aye, I see. Thanks a lot.

I guess I still have to get used to the concept of playing for four days and then the match turns out to be a draw because time ran out. :-)

cnerd123

likes this
Aye, I see. Thanks a lot.

I guess I still have to get used to the concept of playing for four days and then the match turns out to be a draw because time ran out. :-)
It's one the best parts of the game IMO. Watching one side doggedly clinging on for the draw after having been battered all match, while the opposition tries their hardest to force the victory. Simply being the better side isn't enough to win a game, you actually have to win it. It forces teams to be more aggressive once they have taken the lead in a game, since just sitting on the advantage could see it drift off into a draw.

Draws also let the losing team to claw back some respectability if they start the game off badly. It also gives something for sides that are significantly weaker to aim for; so even a mismatch is interesting as you're watching the stronger side attempt to force victory against a team that is intent on playing out all 5 days. Admittedly that's not very common, but does happen every now and then.

Also, over the course of a series or a season, being able to salvage a draw out of a losing cause -or failing to finish off a game after having dominated it- can have lasting morale impacts on a side. Several times we've seen a side that has managed to barely save a game go on to win the next match.

Cricket wouldn't be the same if not for Draws.