cricket betting betway blog banner small
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zorax
  • 1 Post By llalundo

Thread: Question: Draw

Cricket Spectator

Icon5 Question: Draw

Hello

I'm new to cricket but start to understand basic concepts, scoring and stuff. But there's still a lot to learn. E.g.:

Assam 143/8 (84.0 ov, Wasiqur Rahman 13*, AK Das 0*, AA Gani 5/62) - Match over | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Why is the game between Assam and Bengal a draw when Bengal is so far ahead that Assam (probably) will never catch up. It end's after 8 overs in Assam's second innings. Bengal never gets to play their second innings.

And: When it's a draw, why do Bengal get 3 points and Assam 1?

Thanks for any hints.

Llalundo

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Basically a draw happens when the game has finished before a result has been reached, regardless of which team is ahead and by how much.

As for question 2, I believe it has to do with first-innings/bonus points, which are common occurances as a tie-breaker for draws in domestic FC competitions.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Basically a draw happens when the game has finished before a result has been reached, regardless of which team is ahead and by how much.

As for question 2, I believe it has to do with first-innings/bonus points, which are common occurances as a tie-breaker for draws in domestic FC competitions.
    Aye, I see. Thanks a lot.

I guess I still have to get used to the concept of playing for four days and then the match turns out to be a draw because time ran out. :-)

Cricket Spectator
    Yepp, must be something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E...#Points_system

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by llalundo View Post
    Aye, I see. Thanks a lot.

I guess I still have to get used to the concept of playing for four days and then the match turns out to be a draw because time ran out. :-)
    It's one the best parts of the game IMO. Watching one side doggedly clinging on for the draw after having been battered all match, while the opposition tries their hardest to force the victory. Simply being the better side isn't enough to win a game, you actually have to win it. It forces teams to be more aggressive once they have taken the lead in a game, since just sitting on the advantage could see it drift off into a draw.

Draws also let the losing team to claw back some respectability if they start the game off badly. It also gives something for sides that are significantly weaker to aim for; so even a mismatch is interesting as you're watching the stronger side attempt to force victory against a team that is intent on playing out all 5 days. Admittedly that's not very common, but does happen every now and then.

Also, over the course of a series or a season, being able to salvage a draw out of a losing cause -or failing to finish off a game after having dominated it- can have lasting morale impacts on a side. Several times we've seen a side that has managed to barely save a game go on to win the next match.

Cricket wouldn't be the same if not for Draws.
    AndyZaltzHair likes this.

Cricket Spectator
    Thanks a lot for this insight into the game. It helps me to better understand.
    zorax likes this.

Thread Information