cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: NZ's future pace attack, the players, the coaches...

NZ's future pace attack, the players, the coaches...

2015 is almost at an end. And what a year it was....

But I made this thread regarding the future of the New Zealand pace attack.....it seems that at the end of 2015, we now believe in things we would'n't have thought too possible in early 2015. Some things have changed...for example, Boult is now an accomplished ODI bowler, something we did not see coming in early 2015, we knew he had potential, but it was uncharted territory. Matt Henry on the other hand, has fallen off, he is now a mere shell of what he was in early 2015. Mcclenaghan is out of juice. One could argue that the absence of Bond himself has got a correlation in the direct downfall of henry and mcclenaghan, both have lost the promise they had in early 2015. Mcclenaghan the wickets, and with Henry the potential.

And now that brings me to the final subject, Adam Milne. He had a good comeback in the African tour, but is the absence of Bond going to hurt his development as well? Lets hope not because we knew what a weapon bondy has proven to be for our bowlers in the last 3 years. Dimitri Masakreahiafbufbweub has not shown anything worthy of keeping his spot and NZ must find a new bowling coach unless they want to stick to the results their bowlers have gotten post WC2015.

Thoughts on where to go from here?

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by thundaboult View Post
    2015 is almost at an end. And what a year it was....

But I made this thread regarding the future of the New Zealand pace attack.....it seems that at the end of 2015, we now believe in things we would'n't have thought too possible in early 2015. Some things have changed...for example, Boult is now an accomplished ODI bowler, something we did not see coming in early 2015, we knew he had potential, but it was uncharted territory. Matt Henry on the other hand, has fallen off, he is now a mere shell of what he was in early 2015. Mcclenaghan is out of juice. One could argue that the absence of Bond himself has got a correlation in the direct downfall of henry and mcclenaghan, both have lost the promise they had in early 2015. Mcclenaghan the wickets, and with Henry the potential.

And now that brings me to the final subject, Adam Milne. He had a good comeback in the African tour, but is the absence of Bond going to hurt his development as well? Lets hope not because we knew what a weapon bondy has proven to be for our bowlers in the last 3 years. Dimitri Masakreahiafbufbweub has not shown anything worthy of keeping his spot and NZ must find a new bowling coach unless they want to stick to the results their bowlers have gotten post WC2015.

Thoughts on where to go from here?
    Don't do anything. Just hope that

a) someone else comes along
    b) Bracewell gets his swing back
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Quote Originally Posted by thundaboult View Post
    One could argue that the absence of Bond himself has got a correlation in the direct downfall of henry and mcclenaghan, both have lost the promise they had in early 2015. Mcclenaghan the wickets, and with Henry the potential.
    It's hard to speculate on these things as mere plebs tbh, but there's the guy Bond would be the closest to calling his protege in 2015/16, if you want to follow the Canterbury scorecards. Ed Nuttall -

Last edited by Kippax; 02-12-2015 at 03:05 AM.
    zorax likes this.
    Don't squander the gold of your days making a shrine of cricket videos, trying to improve the hopeless failure, giving your life away to the Blockys, the Devciches and the Weerasundaras! Surrender your devout little cricketing heart to the inured agribusinessman.

NEW ZEALAND RAIN RADAR . AUSTRALIAN RAIN RADAR . U.K. RAIN RADAR

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    New Zealand's success over the last few years has been built on skilled and consistently good seam/swing bowling rather than 150k+ MJ clones blowing away teams. I have seen this sort of sentiment expressed in the NZ-Aus thread and I think it's kinda missing how the success was achieved.

I think Bracewell and Wagner can be decent support bowlers and should be persisted with. For the upcoming home series, NZ should just focus on their strengths and they used so well in this series Results | Global | ESPN Cricinfo rather than trying to look for the next Starc or Johnson.

Yes Milne has potential but he should have a good injury free FC season under his belt before he can be trusted as a test bowler.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Gob
    Boult,Southee,Henry,Anderson
    NZTailender likes this.
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

We get one or two 150kph guys with every generation. Milne is likely to be a star. Easy to forget he's only in his early 20s and has been in international cricket since 17. Ferguson has speed and is fun to watch highlights reels of but hasn't blown away FC. Howsie's boi Zak Gibson is rapid and 17-18.

At the lower levels our pitches and conditions don't have the same needs Australia has, so we don't produce the really fast bowlers as often. Swing and good areas get the job done and the best at those get to FC and looking around, there are enough under 25 with a lot going for them, bowling at least 135 and often enough 140+ and doing well in the Shield. Granted most of these bowlers are from Northern Districts, Central Districts and Canterbury, but NZ manage.

The issues are injuries and rawness/wild fluctuations. I suspect what the test side wants from the third seamer is a really hard adjustment for these young new ball bowlers to make.

The bowling will be fine. The problems start with some FC sides being really really cynical with some of their top order batting selections. With only 6 FC teams NZ needs everyone to be trying to produce test players, not going full Kippax with their memes.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 02-12-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    Kippax likes this.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    It's hard to speculate on these things as mere plebs tbh, but there's the guy Bond would be the closest to calling his protege in 2015/16, if you want to follow the Canterbury scorecards. Ed Nuttall -

Mm correlating NZ's bowling success to Bond-exposure is almost reaching meme levels itself, even if it's reasonable to believe he's had a strong impact.

Boult #3 there looks less smooth than previous. Like he's forcing it through McCone style.

Does the high performance academy in CHCH have all season grass nets. If it is indoor concrete then say good bye to Zak's chances as that is where he is headed with his scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Does the high performance academy in CHCH have all season grass nets. If it is indoor concrete then say good bye to Zak's chances as that is where he is headed with his scholarship.
    They have a marquee over (some of?) the outdoor nets. No Palmerston North style indoor facility yet.

Should move some of the HPC stuff, winter camps etc, to PN until they do.
    Hurricane likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    We get one or two 150kph guys with every generation. Milne is likely to be a star. Easy to forget he's only in his early 20s and has been in international cricket since 17. Ferguson has speed and is fun to watch highlights reels of but hasn't blown away FC. Howsie's boi Zak Gibson is rapid and 17-18.

At the lower levels our pitches and conditions don't have the same needs Australia has, so we don't produce the really fast bowlers as often. Swing and good areas get the job done and the best at those get to FC and looking around, there are enough under 25 with a lot going for them, bowling at least 135 and often enough 140+ and doing well in the Shield. Granted most of these bowlers are from Northern Districts, Central Districts and Canterbury, but NZ manage.

The issues are injuries and rawness/wild fluctuations. I suspect what the test side wants from the third seamer is a really hard adjustment for these young new ball bowlers to make.

The bowling will be fine. The problems start with some FC sides being really really cynical with some of their top order batting selections. With only 6 FC teams NZ needs everyone to be trying to produce test players, not going full Kippax with their memes.
    Based on the fairly reliable metric that domestic speed guns read bowlers at approx 5kmh slower than international guns (for some reason), then both Kuggs and Ferguson are capable of 145 kmh consistently, and can nudge 150 when they go all out.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Any body remember Ed Nuttal's old man? I once watched him bowl something like 10 overs for 8 runs in a Shell Cup game at the Mount. Mark Priest at the other end.

Slow left armers: stinking out cricket since ages ago.

About 20 years ahead of his time. He'd coulda been a millionaire with his nude lefties in the T20 age.
    Last edited by Immenso; 06-12-2015 at 09:21 PM.

^^ here it is.

Was 3 for 13 off 10.
    G Hick and all. (Hick, Crocker and Barry Cooper), that's a pretty good haul back in 1989.

Crocker: 11 off 69, lol.

Players

Gah. Why don't URLs copied from the archive work?

Anyway. I see he did also bowl 10 overs for 8 runs v Wellington that same 88/89 season. I hate myself for knowing this pointless information ....,,
    Last edited by Immenso; 06-12-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    zorax likes this.

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    I've still never seen a bowler like Barry Cooper. All he did was lob it as slowly as possible towards the stumps with no drift or spin at all. And he was actually pretty effective.

Edit: my group of guys who played cricket banned bowling Barry Cooper style because it was considered against the spirit of cricket haha.
    Last edited by kiwiviktor81; 06-12-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    I've still never seen a bowler like Barry Cooper. All he did was lob it as slowly as possible towards the stumps with no drift or spin at all. And he was actually pretty effective.

Edit: my group of guys who played cricket banned bowling Barry Cooper style because it was considered against the spirit of cricket haha.
    Very effective bowling style on a concrete based artificial.

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Very effective bowling style on a concrete based artificial.
    The least effective bowling I have ever seen is underspinning the ball. The act of undercutting it actually gives it a nicer arc through the air and the ball doesn't drop on batsman. Have had two team mates who bowled it. Both were the captain of the team and were able to bowl themselves for numerous overs. Apparently in some game in their youths they got one to skid on and trapped the guy in front. I never saw. Needless to say both bowlers got tonked mercilessly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information