• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the greatest All-Rounder ever, 64 man knockout tournament: Voting Thread

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I will suggest that before the qfs, we have a wildcard round with losers having high votes in it and the top two gets into the qfs

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dan Vettori vs Frank Foster - I read the Foster story from Fertang today, seems like a really promising and interesting player. But Vettori managed results, and had a case of being his country's best batsman and bowler for a while.
Trevor Bailey vs Tony Greig - Bailey doesn't seem to really stand out in one area, Greig averaged over 40 with the bat which is pretty rare amongst all-rounders.
Wasim Akram vs Shane Watson - I was thinking of voting Watson as I find it hard to consider Wasim an all-rounder, but it turns he's scored more centuries than Hadlee who most people would consider one. So yeah. Plus Mister's logic here makes sense.
George Giffen vs Monty Noble - Giffen looks one of the more important cricketers of the 1800's, but his stats aren't anything special given the standards of the era. Noble while probably under-achieving with the bat at Tests is Australia's best pre-World War I cricketer IMO.

Ravi Ashwin vs Abdul Razzaq - Razzaq's is pretty meh on the whole, at least at Tests. Ashwin has a couple of Test centuries and is a very good bowler.
Chris Harris vs Neil Johnson - neither are really anything special but Harris was a very important player in ODI's for a number of years.
Gilbert Jessop vs Lance Klusener - in ODI's Klusener has a case of being the best all-rounders of all time. Though imagine if Jessop was born today....
Jacques Kallis vs Aubrey Faulkner - given some of the guys that qualified for this Faulkner can feel really hard done by, both are amongst the best all-rounders of all-time.

Andrew Flintoff vs Warwick Armstrong - harsh on The Big Ship but Flintoff has a better WPM and could be a very good batsman. Plus his ODI stats stack up with the best.
Kapil Dev vs Maurice Tate
Shaun Pollock vs WG Grace - logic would say Grace, but he didn't bowl at lot at Tests so it makes me wonder whether he would've been an all-rounder in the modern era. Pollock was a very valuable and underappreciated bowling all-rounder for a long time.
Imran Khan vs Frank Woolley

Dwayne Bravo vs Keith Miller - biggest mismatch of the first round? Miller is one of the ATG all-rounders, Bravo really was a bit of a no-rounder.
Sanath Jayasuriya vs Gubby Allen
Ravi Bopara vs Richie Benaud - who nominated Bopara :laugh:
Wally Hammond vs Shahid Afridi - tricky one. But given I voted for Akram over Watson, I should use the same logic here.

Mushtaq Mohammad vs Andrew Symonds
Chris Gayle vs Angelo Matthews
Jacob Oram vs Shakib Al-Hasan
Chris Cairns vs Ravi Jadeja - yes I know he's a cheat, but he was still a gun all-rounder, something I can't say about Jadeja.

Wilfred Rhodes vs John Reid - AFAIK Rhodes never truly had an all-round role in the side. Reid on the other could do it all.
Vinoo Mankad vs Richard Hadlee - going against my original vibe here, as Reid was to New Zealand Mankad was to India. And while Hadlee gets compared to Kapil/Imran/Botham, he wasn't in the same class of a batsman as those guys IMO.
Ian Botham vs Ray Illingworth
Mitch Johnson vs Mike Procter

Mohammad Hafeez vs Ryan ten Doeschate - mostly because Hafeez is a chucker.
Azhar Mahmood vs Garry Sobers
Alan Davidson vs Steve Waugh - mostly because of ODI form, in Tests at least when Waugh was good he wasn't much of an all-rounder.
Clive Rice vs Trevor Goddard - Rice was probably better, but he never played Tests whereas Goddard did and was actually rather good.

Steve Tikolo vs Heath Streak
Jack Gregory vs Stuart Broad
Learie Constantine vs Carl Hooper
Chaminda Vaas vs Brian McMillan

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, doesn't make sense. English FC records of that time had strike rates way lower than 44.
Yeah, for the record I agree with you - I just think people might look at his tally of wickets and average and think it is enough, when combined with his batting dominance, to elevate him to that level.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I definitely nommed Barlow as well.

I get it, people nommed Barlow. It was a mistake on my half. Let's let it go

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Dan Vettori vs Frank Foster
Trevor Bailey vs Tony Greig
Wasim Akram vs Shane Watson
George Giffen vs Monty Noble

Ravi Ashwin vs Abdul Razzaq
Chris Harris vs Neil Johnson
Gilbert Jessop vs Lance Klusener
Jacques Kallis vs Aubrey Faulkner

Andrew Flintoff vs Warwick Armstrong
Shaun Pollock vs WG Grace

Dwayne Bravo vs Keith Miller
Ravi Bopara vs Richie Benaud
Wally Hammond vs Shahid Afridi

Chris Cairns vs Ravi Jadeja

Wilfred Rhodes vs John Reid
Vinoo Mankad vs Richard Hadlee

Mohammad Hafeez vs Ryan ten Doeschate
Alan Davidson vs Steve Waugh
Clive Rice vs Trevor Goddard

In actuality I think Kallis shades Faulkner, but Kallis will win this comfortably by the looks of it, and if there does happen to be a wildcard round I want Faulkner to have enough votes to qualify. He deserves that.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Pollock and Faulkner shouldn't really be going out this early. The poll won't make sense at all if that happens. Since we all know the winner and runner up already.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

How the **** is Barlow not here.

mr_mister

im bestowing the role of 'official counter of the vote' to the next person who complains about barlow

cnerd123

likes this
im bestowing the role of 'official counter of the vote' to the next person who complains about barlow
Ignore the haters man. You took the initiative to run this. You put the effort of starting up a nomms thread, trying to get people to contribute, and you're tallying all the votes and generating the pairings.

In the end we know Sobers will win. This is just a fun mental exercise to compare players whom we may never have compared before, and to learn more about cricketers we may not have noticed before.

If people have such a big problem with it they can go and run their own next time. You're doing a good job. Keep it up!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ignore the haters man. You took the initiative to run this. You put the effort of starting up a nomms thread, trying to get people to contribute, and you're tallying all the votes and generating the pairings.

In the end we know Sobers will win. This is just a fun mental exercise to compare players whom we may never have compared before, and to learn more about cricketers we may not have noticed before.

If people have such a big problem with it they can go and run their own next time. You're doing a good job. Keep it up!
Yes Mr Mr. You are doing a great job. Just please have a wildcard round. Will give a lot of credibility to the final rounds to have stronger groups of three instead of any weak round of two getting in.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Barlow should be in this and mr_mister should feel bad and should cry.

Also, MacCartney.

mr_mister

thankyou *****, means a lot

there's really nothing i can do about barlow now, adding him into a triple threat next round disadvantages the 2 guys in the match i'm adding him into. the wildcard stuff sounds okay? get down to 8, add 4 lucky losers(though if they lost once, surely they can't win the whole thing unless people change their minds for the sake of it) and then split the final 12 into 4 groups of 3? it would **** with the tried and true structure however for very little gain

G.I.Joe

International Coach

mr_mister

how about this crackpot idea

*at the end of round 1, add one more group of 4 more guys(macartney, barlow, the 2 most unfortunate runner-ups in round 1)
* from 36 it'l go down to 18, then 9.
*from 9 we split it up into three triple threats, and the winner of each verses in one last triple threat in the final

This will make the competition one round shorter btw

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Trevor Bailey V Tony Greig was the most difficult choice for me.

Greig was more attacking and more talented with the bat than Bailey, but Bailey was the better bowler I think. For example, during the final Test against the West Indies in 1954 he took 7 for 34 as Stollmeyer's team collapsed in their first innings to be all-out for 134. Len Hutton then played his last great innings to score 205 and help win the Test by 9 wickets on the 5th day. And so the hard-fought series was drawn 2-2 on the back of one the best bowling performances of all time.

Greig was one of England's best players during the 1970s, but Bailey was pivotal to England's greatest era. First under Hutton, and then under May during the 1950s. His tenacity as a batsman, and as a first change bowler transformed a good side into a great one.

Last edited: