• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pressure Players

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Mills did get carted but you can't fault him for bowling a brilliant leg stump yorker when the pressure was at its highest point.
But who's fault is it for the pressure being created?

Mills is the only one who can take that, so does he really deserve the credit in all honesty?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If people performed when their team needed them no-one would ever lose a match.:P
The fact is any performance is needed by the team, and very rarely are what are normally good performances counter-productive.

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
who the hell are u talking about???the same guy who failed in every single match against india???(including on the indian tour!)
the only time he has come under any sort of pressure in 4 years and look at him choke!the adam gilchrist i know is the one that comes in with australia at 400/5 trying to accelerate the innings against a worn out and demoralised attack. sure u can bring up his innings against pak but that was 6 years ago and he was very fortunate.
i guess it depends on what you call pressure...to a lot of people coming in at 400/5 maybe a pressure situation(maybe the new ball is due at this pont as well, another type of pressure in its self) where by you are in at a time when batting has been made to look easy,and you dont want to let the good position you are in slip away...400/5 can become 400/6 easily and then all out 450, which these days doesnt always seem to be a winning first innings score.

To other people, some people might suggest that Gilchist was under pressure in the second test vs Pakistan in Hobart a few years back.....Gilly had just taken over from Healy,and needed to prove himself to the public. He comes in at 120 odd for 5 chasing getting on 370 vs Akram,Waqar,Saqlain and Shoaib...i would say that is pressure big time...he went on to score 149 in 160 odd balls to win the game.

Then again some may say that there was no pressure coz he had nothing to lose, no-one expected Australia to win from that position anyway.

I personally thing Gilchrist plays the way he does what ever the situation, and that is what is expected of him, i dont think he is a choker .

In India i think he had a bad run of form and was up against a pretty hot India team as well

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
In tests, if you look at all-time lists of pressure batsmen(this is limited to people I have seen in action):

For India: Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, Mohinder Amarnath, Ravi Shastri, Sachin Tendulkar....

For Australia: Allan Border, Steve Waugh, Ian Chappell.....

For West Indies: Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Larry Gomes, Des Haynes, Brian Lara, Shiv Chanderpaul....

For Sri Lanka: Arjuna Ranatunga, Aravinda DeSilva, Hashan Thillakaratne.....

For Pakistan: Javed Miandad, Imran Khan, Saeed Anwar, Asif Iqbal, Yousuf Yohanna, Inzi Ul Haq.....

For England: Mike Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Graham Gooch, Graeme Thorpe.....

For New Zealand: Martin Crowe, Stephen Fleming, Chris Cairns....

For South Africa: Gary Kirsten, Keppler Wessels, Jacques Kallis.....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist has played and succeeded under pressure heaps of times. if you base your opinion of gilchrist on 2 series out of the dozens that he has played in it gives you an obviously untrue picture.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
He made all the right impressions when he toured SA... but surely you cant judge him on one over, or is he very good domestically at finishing things off???
I wasn't being completely serious. He hasn't played much domestic cricket to date.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
who the hell are u talking about???the same guy who failed in every single match against india???(including on the indian tour!)
the only time he has come under any sort of pressure in 4 years and look at him choke!the adam gilchrist i know is the one that comes in with australia at 400/5 trying to accelerate the innings against a worn out and demoralised attack. sure u can bring up his innings against pak but that was 6 years ago and he was very fortunate.
OMG! you really are an idiot!!

I knew some halfwit would bring up this last tour of India without caring to look at some actual facts.

Gilly usualy fails to capitalize on situations like 5/400 most of the time despite popular opinion. He get's out becuse he has to much of a licence to throw the bat.

Sorry to be rude but if you are going to make a statment like that without actualy looking at his performances against other countrys then thats what will happen.

Craig

World Traveller
Chaminda Vaas bowled brilliantly under pressure and Atapattu's captaincy under pressure last night was brilliant.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tendulkar a choker? The guy has more pressure on him than any other batsman every game he goes out there, whether it be a final, a match against Pakistan or a simple ODI. Sure he doesn't perform in the finals but not many of the Indians do either.

For me great pressure players are Dravid, Steve Waugh and Laxman. Hell I'll add Chaminda Vaas for yesterday's performance 8D

For India its R Dravid with bat, mostly do good in tight matches. Ajit Agarkar is good in crunch situation with the ball.

For Australia , its Steven Waugh and Warne.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Eclipse said:
Gilly usualy fails to capitalize on situations like 5/400 most of the time despite popular opinion. He get's out becuse he has to much of a licence to throw the bat.
Ok let's examine this...

81 [88] on debut - 342/5
149* [163] v Pak - 126/5
78 [119] v Ind - 197/5
89 [126] v NZ - 29/5
87 [124] v WI - 289/5
122 [112] v Aus - 99/5
152 [143] v Eng - 336/5
90 [121] v Eng - 230/5
118 [158] v NZ - 260/5
83* [99] v NZ - 244/5
204* [213] v SA - 293/5
138* [108] v SA - 176/5
91 [107] v SA - 182/5
133 [121] v Eng - 150/5
77 [81] v WI - 349/4
101* [104] v WI - 371/3
113* [94] v Zim - 502/5

Eclipse has a point, but the general score that he enters at a glance would be around 250.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Upon actually doing the calculations, the average score that Gilchrist enters at and goes on to make a significant score (ie 75+) is 245.58.

That's not far off from my mental estimate. :D

Furthermore, the batsmen ahead of him in these matches average 50.91.

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Upon actually doing the calculations, the average score that Gilchrist enters at and goes on to make a significant score (ie 75+) is 245.58.

That's not far off from my mental estimate. :D

Furthermore, the batsmen ahead of him in these matches average 50.91.
well 245/5 isnt a brilliant score...now if we say Australia go at about 3.5 or 4 an over, Gilly is coming in when the new ball will be due to be taken within an hour...he needs to make sure he is there at that time...of course if he has batted for an hour, he is well on his way to taking the game from the opposition, whereas at 245 for 5, the opposition would be confident of getting Australia out for less than 350.

To me Gilchrist is the pivotal batsman, which is a position with a lot of pressure...to say he cant take the pressure is just stupid

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
To me Gilchrist is the pivotal batsman, which is a position with a lot of pressure...to say he cant take the pressure is just stupid
Well, true to an extent. But I still consider Gilchrist to be over-rated by many. He's not the greatest batsman-keeper ever IMO and not even the best keeper-batsman now.

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well, true to an extent. But I still consider Gilchrist to be over-rated by many. He's not the greatest batsman-keeper ever IMO and not even the best keeper-batsman now.

ooooh a tad harsh i think...but youu might be right.

But I dont think it is any coincidence that Gilchrist being in the test team was the time when really the Aussies turned it on and left the other teams behind.

he might not be the best keeper batsman in the world of all time, but he has changed the course of more games with his batting than any keeper in history..and when he is in form , there isnt one single batsman in the world who is more dangerous