Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressure Players

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    Arvinda Desilva
    Waqar Younis
    Javed Miandad
    Definitley Brian Lara
    ;
    Dont really agree on Inzimam being apressure player,

How about players who underperform when playing in pressure situations.

i think we have a winner
    Ganguly.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Originally posted by Bouncer
    Arvinda Desilva
    Waqar Younis
    Javed Miandad
    Definitley Brian Lara
    ;

i think we have a winner
    Ganguly.
    this would require a seperate thread but anyways entire indian team will qualify for this. specially gangly,tendulkar,dravid(only in ODI format becoz he is natural test player).

shcewag,laxman,yuvraj can be exceptions only if they do not have chokers on other end.
    Yuvraj+Schewag future of Indian cricket

Official Sponsor of AGC (Anti Ganguly Club)

I TOLD U GUYS INDIA 151 ALL OUT IN BEGINING.

HARRY THE NOSTRADAMUS

State Regular
    Originally posted by Bouncer

i think we have a winner
    Ganguly.

Why Ganguly? It can be Indian team as a whole ,( even Pak team whenever they play against Aus).

I don't think Sachin chokes, howeve i do think Indian pacers do underperform in tight situation
    ------------------------------------

Steve Waugh, Brian Lara
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Originally posted by Eclipse
    I would say Gilchrist he performes under pressure extreamly well.

He does not let the pressure effect his natrual game and soon enough the pressure that was on him is on the bowlers and he take's full advantage.
    who the hell are u talking about???the same guy who failed in every single match against india???(including on the indian tour!)
    the only time he has come under any sort of pressure in 4 years and look at him choke!the adam gilchrist i know is the one that comes in with australia at 400/5 trying to accelerate the innings against a worn out and demoralised attack. sure u can bring up his innings against pak but that was 6 years ago and he was very fortunate.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Michael bevan
    Not today!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tim
    Mills did get carted but you can't fault him for bowling a brilliant leg stump yorker when the pressure was at its highest point.
    But who's fault is it for the pressure being created?

Mills is the only one who can take that, so does he really deserve the credit in all honesty?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    If people performed when their team needed them no-one would ever lose a match.:P
    The fact is any performance is needed by the team, and very rarely are what are normally good performances counter-productive.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Debutant AUST_HiTMaN's Avatar
    I know some may not agree.... but Darren Lehmann
    eep.

Gary Kirsten with his fantastic innings with Monde Zondeki against England.
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Originally posted by tooextracool
    who the hell are u talking about???the same guy who failed in every single match against india???(including on the indian tour!)
    the only time he has come under any sort of pressure in 4 years and look at him choke!the adam gilchrist i know is the one that comes in with australia at 400/5 trying to accelerate the innings against a worn out and demoralised attack. sure u can bring up his innings against pak but that was 6 years ago and he was very fortunate.
    i guess it depends on what you call pressure...to a lot of people coming in at 400/5 maybe a pressure situation(maybe the new ball is due at this pont as well, another type of pressure in its self) where by you are in at a time when batting has been made to look easy,and you dont want to let the good position you are in slip away...400/5 can become 400/6 easily and then all out 450, which these days doesnt always seem to be a winning first innings score.

To other people, some people might suggest that Gilchist was under pressure in the second test vs Pakistan in Hobart a few years back.....Gilly had just taken over from Healy,and needed to prove himself to the public. He comes in at 120 odd for 5 chasing getting on 370 vs Akram,Waqar,Saqlain and Shoaib...i would say that is pressure big time...he went on to score 149 in 160 odd balls to win the game.

Then again some may say that there was no pressure coz he had nothing to lose, no-one expected Australia to win from that position anyway.

I personally thing Gilchrist plays the way he does what ever the situation, and that is what is expected of him, i dont think he is a choker .

In India i think he had a bad run of form and was up against a pretty hot India team as well
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

In tests, if you look at all-time lists of pressure batsmen(this is limited to people I have seen in action):

For India: Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, Mohinder Amarnath, Ravi Shastri, Sachin Tendulkar....

For Australia: Allan Border, Steve Waugh, Ian Chappell.....

For West Indies: Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Larry Gomes, Des Haynes, Brian Lara, Shiv Chanderpaul....

For Sri Lanka: Arjuna Ranatunga, Aravinda DeSilva, Hashan Thillakaratne.....

For Pakistan: Javed Miandad, Imran Khan, Saeed Anwar, Asif Iqbal, Yousuf Yohanna, Inzi Ul Haq.....

For England: Mike Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Graham Gooch, Graeme Thorpe.....

For New Zealand: Martin Crowe, Stephen Fleming, Chris Cairns....

For South Africa: Gary Kirsten, Keppler Wessels, Jacques Kallis.....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Gilchrist has played and succeeded under pressure heaps of times. if you base your opinion of gilchrist on 2 series out of the dozens that he has played in it gives you an obviously untrue picture.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    He made all the right impressions when he toured SA... but surely you cant judge him on one over, or is he very good domestically at finishing things off???
    I wasn't being completely serious. He hasn't played much domestic cricket to date.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Debutant
    Originally posted by tooextracool
    OMG! you really are an idiot!!

I knew some halfwit would bring up this last tour of India without caring to look at some actual facts.

Gilly usualy fails to capitalize on situations like 5/400 most of the time despite popular opinion. He get's out becuse he has to much of a licence to throw the bat.

Sorry to be rude but if you are going to make a statment like that without actualy looking at his performances against other countrys then thats what will happen.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information