• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ playing 7 home tests next year??

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If this is to be believed:

"White insists day-night tests aren't going to take over in New Zealand. He was cautious about scheduling more than one of their seven home tests against Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa next season as day-nighters."

Full article here:
NZ Cricket look to profit after playing guinea pig for successful day-nighter | Stuff.co.nz

That must be an all-time record if correct, although I expect a couple of tests will dropped for ODIs and T20s. We usually play 4 or 5 tests in a good season (2 last year pre-WC). I actually wouldn't mind 4 day tests if it meant longer series

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, 3 against Bangladesh and 2 against Pakistan and South Africa. Still ****. It's time 2 Test series came to an end.

HeathDavisSpeed

I'd rather 2 sets of 3 or 1 set of 5 against a drawcard team (England, India, Australia, South Africa)

5 Tests is completely unrealistic though - but series should be 3 Test minimum and I'd be happier with 2 sets of 3 instead of a total of 7 Tests across three opponents.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Fair enough. I think 3 tests is pretty much ideal for most series, but I think 2 match series get more stick than they deserve.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Two tests for the return against Australia is pathetic. Doesn't even constitute a 'series' imo.

Gnske

Meanwhile England and Aus are guaranteed twice that amount of Tests and surplus to boot.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
bangladesh will get mauled down here. surely nz can't be playing 3 against them?
The same article says three against South Africa and two against Bangladesh which leaves two for Pakistan unless my maths is even worse than I thought.

From stuff article:

White insists day-night tests aren't going to take over in New Zealand. He was cautious about scheduling more than one of their seven home tests against Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa next season as day-nighters. Bangladesh is the likely starting point purely due to scheduling, as their two tests will be in December when the weather is the most stable for cricket under lights. "I would imagine it would be pretty brave for us to do both [tests at night]," White said.

Maybe they should push the boat out further. South Africa, who play three tests in February-March 2017 would be ideal opponents to sell to the world, but the time of year is tricky. Moving into March in New Zealand's fickle climate means chilly nights and dew will be a factor, potentially making it harder for the bowlers when it's meant to be their time to shine under lights with the ball swinging. But that may be a risk worth taking in Auckland (Eden Park), Hamilton (Seddon Park) or Napier (McLean Park) which are the three earmarked venues.

Three tests against South Africa could be something special - we are still yet to beat them in a test series.