• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have batting standards massively declined in recent years?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
In a few years time, our debates will be 'should runs against the pink ball count as much as runs against the red ball back when Adam was a boy'?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh good it's this thread again

Pick a number from 1880 to 2015. Call it 'x'.

In x, someone wrote an article on why standards are lower than in x-10
I think discussion will move to "why are so many teams getting out for such **** totals these days" eventually

cnerd123

likes this
I think discussion will move to "why are so many teams getting out for such **** totals these days" eventually
Omg

I can see it now

"why were so many teams being dismissed for **** totals after 2014?"
"Maybe its because thats when all the ATG bowlers emerged"

Damn.

Howe_zat

Audio File
We are just, luckily, starting to get into a time when people are nostalgic for a time that has every reaction recorded. Most England and Australia fans will tell you (completely fairly) that the 2005 Ashes was the best series they've seen - but if you go back and read the **** people said about it at the time, it's not pretty. It's the same 'poor technique', 'lol at the team losing wickets to this guy' and of course 'we've been so ****ed by **** decisions' that you get in every series. It's only players from the 90s and earlier who are fortunate enough to let everyone forget what people thought of them at the time.

I don't know if hindsight is a better or worse measure than initial reaction, but it's a damn sight more positive

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My early years on CW saw many (not just Richard though as was his way he took it further than most) claim that batting in the 21st century was not as good as averages suggested, but rather pitches were flat and bowlers were ****

Anyway, I agree with TC/LT mainly but just wanted to throw it out there that we've seen fewer flat decks and better bowlers - seam anyway - since around 08/09. And as LT I think alluded to, T20 plays a huge part as well.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah this only comes up in comparison topics usually..

Oh 30% of his runs were against BD and Zim..would he have these runs if he faced Lillee and Thompson at their prime?

My player is better :ph34r:
If he handled Lillee okay, I don't think there is any Thompson in the history of Test Cricket that would trouble him.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
a few outlying poor batting performances from recent years which are still fresh in my mind don't compare favourably with the selective memories I have for games which happened 20 years ago. Clearly there's no tinted specs here but everything nowadays sucks.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
My early years on CW saw many (not just Richard though as was his way he took it further than most) claim that batting in the 21st century was not as good as averages suggested, but rather pitches were flat and bowlers were ****

Anyway, I agree with TC/LT mainly but just wanted to throw it out there that we've seen fewer flat decks and better bowlers - seam anyway - since around 08/09. And as LT I think alluded to, T20 plays a huge part as well.
Ok I do believe that batting in an era when you are facing WI quartet, Lillee and Thompson, Botham, Hadlee and Khan, was generally more difficult than in an era when you are facing Steyn, Ishant, Taylor, Boult, Johnson, Anderson. The problem is when it is used against a player in a comparison topic to dismiss his performances. The only factors that should be considered when comparing players are those that are under their control. Time travel is not one of them.

It's not Kane Williamson's fault that he was born in this era and not in the 70s. His only obligation is to face the best bowlers of his time and try to score as many runs as possible. Simple. This bit about batting never changes. Going and facing Johnson and Starc when you are 550 runs behind in the game is still ****ing difficult. Scoring test hundreds against these guys is still ****ing difficult and there is no reason that he should be celebrated any less.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
I am probably wrong about this but here goes: we have a system wherein there is a shift towards many batsmen getting into test cricket via there performances in limited over cricket. The skill set involved in ODIs are designed to optimize batting in true conditions which tbf are similar to conditions in most test matches. In those rare situations where conditions dictate a different game plan, these weaknesses become prominent. Factors such as the need to feel bat on ball, defending into the covers or onto the on side, using the step down the track only as an attacking option and a compulsion to drive on the up can be strengths or weaknesses depending on the situation.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Fair points. That also to an extent makes a case for the test success of Cook and YK. Neither are particularly good ODI batsmen, they did not emerge as ODI batsmen, but you give them these pitches, they will score an ugly hundred at least once in 3 test matches.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Batsmen score lots of runs in the 00s - "batsmen are ****, have it easy"
Batsmen score less runs in the '10s - "batsmen are ****, aren't scoring runs"

ok then

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Batting standards are clearly rubbish, bowlers apart from Steyn are mediocre, pitches are substandard as are most of the balls, and the commentators are mostly buffoons. I think we should all stop playing and following the game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batting standards are clearly rubbish, bowlers apart from Steyn are mediocre, pitches are substandard as are most of the balls, and the commentators are mostly buffoons. I think we should all stop playing and following the game.
don't forget boundary sizes and bats

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm of the opinion that batting now is stronger than usual, perhaps stronger than ever. It could be an NZ bias because the BCs have 2 of our best 3 bats in history in the side right now. But I can't remember seeing a lot of guys like ABDV, Root, Amla and Smith in my time watching cricket either.

indiaholic

International Captain
I'm of the opinion that batting now is stronger than usual, perhaps stronger than ever. It could be an NZ bias because the BCs have 2 of our best 3 bats in history in the side right now. But I can't remember seeing a lot of guys like ABDV, Root, Amla and Smith in my time watching cricket either.
This is a NZ bias.