Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By The Sean
  • 1 Post By Lillian Thomson
  • 1 Post By Lillian Thomson
  • 1 Post By HeathDavisSpeed

Thread: Packer WSC stats finally being recognised

International Regular aussie tragic's Avatar

Packer WSC stats finally being recognised

World Series Cricket's revered place in the history of the game and dressing room lore of its combatants is belatedly going to be backed up by official recognition of the players' achievements in the Super Tests and One Day Cup matches.

To coincide with the day-night Test to be played in Adelaide from Friday, Cricket Australia's board of directors have approved the inclusion of WSC statistics in the official playing records of Australian participants, including Ian and Greg Chappell, Dennis Lillee, Rod Marsh and Len Pascoe. CA is also in discussions with other member boards to do likewise for the players signed from the West Indies, England, South Africa, Pakistan and New Zealand.

CA to recognise World Series Cricket records | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Stats don't appear to be on cricinfo records yet but the best are here: A true measure of quality: World Series Cricket | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

will they count as FC or test records? Be cool if it bumped Lillee up to the 400 club

It would also cement Barry Richards as the number 2 bat behind Bradman haha #controversial
    Last edited by mr_mister; 27-11-2015 at 03:38 AM.

also holy **** len pascoe looks ancient. crazy how young he looked in the early '80s ODIs they used to show on Fox Sports recently

I know time gets us all but damn he's only 3 years older than my dad but looks 20 years older

From what I've read, the WSC numbers aren't going to be added on to players' Test records, but rather will be listed separately so as to at least acknowledge it as official cricket.

While they're at it (and I realise it's a different decision making body and process), they need to get some consistency around the RoW games - it's crazy that the two great series in the early '70s don't count but the one-off match in 2005 does. Either they all should be official Tests, or none of them should.
    Last edited by The Sean; 27-11-2015 at 03:50 AM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

i think they should count as test for the simple fact they were matches of the highest standard. if we complain about Zim and Bangas stat padding surely this might help right a few wrongs

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    also holy **** len pascoe looks ancient. crazy how young he looked in the early '80s ODIs they used to show on Fox Sports recently

I know time gets us all but damn he's only 3 years older than my dad but looks 20 years older
    Yeah I thought that as well. He went to school with Thommo but looks much older

Cricketer Of The Year
    Ridiculous, though it doesn't surprise me at all when it comes to the cricket authorities. Even the match regarded retrospectively as the first ever Test Match in 1877 was clearly nothing of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Ridiculous, though it doesn't surprise me at all when it comes to the cricket authorities. Even the match regarded retrospectively as the first ever Test Match in 1877 was clearly nothing of the sort.
    The two best teams of the era playing a one off, winner takes all match? Do you think a World XI from 2015 could take on a team from 2153?
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    The two best teams of the era playing a one off, winner takes all match? Do you think a World XI from 2015 could take on a team from 2153?
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but it has nothing to do with my post that you've quoted. I don't believe that a cricket match should be made into something it wasn't at the time it was played based on the administration at the time. The 1877 match was not played by cricketers thinking they were representing their country, and neither was the "England" team selected from all the best cricketers in the Country.
    zorax likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but it has nothing to do with my post that you've quoted. I don't believe that a cricket match should be made into something it wasn't at the time it was played based on the administration at the time. The 1877 match was not played by cricketers thinking they were representing their country, and neither was the "England" team selected from all the best cricketers in the Country.
    Yeah but there's nothing wrong with giving them fc status surely. I agree test status is a different matter entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Yeah but there's nothing wrong with giving them fc status surely. I agree test status is a different matter entirely.
    There's no right or wrong. It's just my opinion that any match shouldn't be given status that wasn't bestowed upon it by the authorities at the time they were played. It's not about the quality of the cricket.
    zorax likes this.

I thought it was, my mistake.

If 1977-78 are included in records (which are separate so I have no problem with), I don't see why the 1971-72 World XI vs Australia aren't also included with them as this was the 'official' Aussie team .

World XI in Australia, 1971-72: 'Test' Statistics

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    World Series Cricket's revered place in the history of the game and dressing room lore of its combatants is belatedly going to be backed up by official recognition of the players' achievements in the Super Tests and One Day Cup matches.

To coincide with the day-night Test to be played in Adelaide from Friday, Cricket Australia's board of directors have approved the inclusion of WSC statistics in the official playing records of Australian participants, including Ian and Greg Chappell, Dennis Lillee, Rod Marsh and Len Pascoe. CA is also in discussions with other member boards to do likewise for the players signed from the West Indies, England, South Africa, Pakistan and New Zealand.

CA to recognise World Series Cricket records | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Stats don't appear to be on cricinfo records yet but the best are here: A true measure of quality: World Series Cricket | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
    Imran and Garth le Roux tearing it up as they would later on at Hove as well
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    What? When do the international Cricket Max games get recognised in the IT20 stats, that's the big question here.
    indiaholic likes this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Thread Information