• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Packer WSC stats finally being recognised

aussie tragic

International Captain
World Series Cricket's revered place in the history of the game and dressing room lore of its combatants is belatedly going to be backed up by official recognition of the players' achievements in the Super Tests and One Day Cup matches.

To coincide with the day-night Test to be played in Adelaide from Friday, Cricket Australia's board of directors have approved the inclusion of WSC statistics in the official playing records of Australian participants, including Ian and Greg Chappell, Dennis Lillee, Rod Marsh and Len Pascoe. CA is also in discussions with other member boards to do likewise for the players signed from the West Indies, England, South Africa, Pakistan and New Zealand.

CA to recognise World Series Cricket records | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Stats don't appear to be on cricinfo records yet but the best are here: A true measure of quality: World Series Cricket | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
will they count as FC or test records? Be cool if it bumped Lillee up to the 400 club

It would also cement Barry Richards as the number 2 bat behind Bradman haha #controversial

Last edited:

mr_mister

also holy **** len pascoe looks ancient. crazy how young he looked in the early '80s ODIs they used to show on Fox Sports recently

I know time gets us all but damn he's only 3 years older than my dad but looks 20 years older

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I've read, the WSC numbers aren't going to be added on to players' Test records, but rather will be listed separately so as to at least acknowledge it as official cricket.

While they're at it (and I realise it's a different decision making body and process), they need to get some consistency around the RoW games - it's crazy that the two great series in the early '70s don't count but the one-off match in 2005 does. Either they all should be official Tests, or none of them should.

Last edited:

mr_mister

i think they should count as test for the simple fact they were matches of the highest standard. if we complain about Zim and Bangas stat padding surely this might help right a few wrongs

aussie tragic

International Captain
also holy **** len pascoe looks ancient. crazy how young he looked in the early '80s ODIs they used to show on Fox Sports recently

I know time gets us all but damn he's only 3 years older than my dad but looks 20 years older
Yeah I thought that as well. He went to school with Thommo but looks much older

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ridiculous, though it doesn't surprise me at all when it comes to the cricket authorities. Even the match regarded retrospectively as the first ever Test Match in 1877 was clearly nothing of the sort.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Ridiculous, though it doesn't surprise me at all when it comes to the cricket authorities. Even the match regarded retrospectively as the first ever Test Match in 1877 was clearly nothing of the sort.
The two best teams of the era playing a one off, winner takes all match? Do you think a World XI from 2015 could take on a team from 2153?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The two best teams of the era playing a one off, winner takes all match? Do you think a World XI from 2015 could take on a team from 2153?
I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but it has nothing to do with my post that you've quoted. I don't believe that a cricket match should be made into something it wasn't at the time it was played based on the administration at the time. The 1877 match was not played by cricketers thinking they were representing their country, and neither was the "England" team selected from all the best cricketers in the Country.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but it has nothing to do with my post that you've quoted. I don't believe that a cricket match should be made into something it wasn't at the time it was played based on the administration at the time. The 1877 match was not played by cricketers thinking they were representing their country, and neither was the "England" team selected from all the best cricketers in the Country.
Yeah but there's nothing wrong with giving them fc status surely. I agree test status is a different matter entirely.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but there's nothing wrong with giving them fc status surely. I agree test status is a different matter entirely.
There's no right or wrong. It's just my opinion that any match shouldn't be given status that wasn't bestowed upon it by the authorities at the time they were played. It's not about the quality of the cricket.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought it was, my mistake.

smash84

The Tiger King
World Series Cricket's revered place in the history of the game and dressing room lore of its combatants is belatedly going to be backed up by official recognition of the players' achievements in the Super Tests and One Day Cup matches.

To coincide with the day-night Test to be played in Adelaide from Friday, Cricket Australia's board of directors have approved the inclusion of WSC statistics in the official playing records of Australian participants, including Ian and Greg Chappell, Dennis Lillee, Rod Marsh and Len Pascoe. CA is also in discussions with other member boards to do likewise for the players signed from the West Indies, England, South Africa, Pakistan and New Zealand.

CA to recognise World Series Cricket records | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Stats don't appear to be on cricinfo records yet but the best are here: A true measure of quality: World Series Cricket | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Imran and Garth le Roux tearing it up as they would later on at Hove as well :cool:

HeathDavisSpeed

What? When do the international Cricket Max games get recognised in the IT20 stats, that's the big question here.