• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What makes a good test pitch?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
That is kind of literally what I said...
Nah, favourable wickets don't really narrow the gap anymore so than standard pitches, it comes down to how well you actually bowl, if lesser bowlers are getting assistance and picking up a few wickets, than the strike bowlers should be getting that much more assistance and more wickets. You can be getting as much assistance off the pitch as you want, but if you are not bowling in the areas that would trouble the batsmen then the advantage for ANY BOWLER is entirely useless.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Spinners that dragged it down got thrashed. See JP Duminy's 2nd innings figures.

I don't see an issue with the odd ball bouncing inconsistently on day 3.
I wasn't criticizing any pitches from recent games. The thread title is "what makes a good test pitch". I was expressing my opinion of one property a good test pitch shouldn't have in general.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah, favourable wickets don't really narrow the gap anymore so than standard pitches, it comes down to how well you actually bowl, if lesser bowlers are getting assistance and picking up a few wickets, than the strike bowlers should be getting that much more assistance and more wickets. You can be getting as much assistance off the pitch as you want, but if you are not bowling in the areas that would trouble the batsmen then the advantage for ANY BOWLER is entirely useless.
when a "good area" becomes too large then the accuracy possessed by a superior bowler becomes significantly less valuable.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
really? I mean I can understand that lesser bowler has to still bowl well but this is really absurd

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
god imagine ***** and TumTum discussing spin bowling. I'd have to cut off my ears and pull out my eyes before I bled to death.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
Isn't one of the problems with pitches that spin from day 1 that the pitch will never benefit pacers? Whereas pitches that benefit the quicks from day 1 still have potential to benefit spinners at some stage of the test (if the game lasts long enough).

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
when a "good area" becomes too large then the accuracy possessed by a superior bowler becomes significantly less valuable.
And yet we still see countless examples of bowlers not bowling well enough to take advantage of such areas, not to mention the fact that its not simply just areas, but how much effort you put into bowling the ball in order to maximize the advantage offered from the pitch. Despite what many people seem to think, simply just bowling the ball won't do the trick as frequently as one would expect, you have to do it ball after ball after ball, and bowlers with less discipline, and who bowl irregularly do not have that capability in most cases.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
And yet we still see countless examples of bowlers not bowling well enough to take advantage of such areas, not to mention the fact that its not simply just areas, but how much effort you put into bowling the ball in order to maximize the advantage offered from the pitch. Despite what many people seem to think, simply just bowling the ball won't do the trick as frequently as one would expect, you have to do it ball after ball after ball, and bowlers with less discipline, and who bowl irregularly do not have that capability in most cases.
I'm referring to michael clarke taking 6/9 pitches stop jumping to conclusions ffs

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm referring to michael clarke taking 6/9 pitches stop jumping to conclusions ffs
I'm not jumping to anything, there is no such thing as michael clarke taking 6/9 pitches, Michael Clarke took out mostly tail enders, and he actually pitched the ball up, it was also the very first time the batsmen ever faced him, or saw him bowl. Some of the shots played against Clarke were terrible too, especially Kaif and Murali Karthik. The fact remains that you still ultimately have to bowl well regardless of whether the pitch helps or not.

Spark

Global Moderator
Except the clear and consistent evidence is that they do? I mean weak arguments only get weaker when compared to many matches' worth of actual cricket.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Except the clear and consistent evidence is that they do? I mean weak arguments only get weaker when compared to many matches' worth of actual cricket.
Yep. You can clearly see the results in various stretches of Div 2 County Cricket, Sheffield Shield and Ranji Trophy where green decks are/were rolled out.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. You can clearly see the results in various stretches of Div 2 County Cricket, Sheffield Shield and Ranji Trophy where green decks are/were rolled out.
Can add the Windies Regional tournament to that list for turning tracks as well.

Jeet

Cricket Spectator
Conditions: I guess a good pitch would be one which doesn't disintegrate into dust. It should hold and has mostly same pace and bounce through the 5 days, I know this is not possible so most of the days is what can substitute.

Strategy: After that, the captains should put in interesting strategies to try get the batsman out and Batsman able to counter-strategize and this to and fro things makes Any cricket interesting. There should be attacks and counter attacks both by Bowlers and Bastmen alike.

Now that is what I call a good game of cricket.