• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides another one, the greatest All-Rounder ever. 32 players, Nomination thread!

cnerd123

likes this
Are wicket-keepers considered allrounders too? If so...

Gilchrist
Sangakarra
L Constantine
Solkar
Flintoff
John Reid
M Noble
WG Grace
Wilfred Rhodes
Mike Proctor
Mushtaq Mohammed
Tony Grieg

Last edited:

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Jack gregory
Trevor goddard
Wilfred rhodes
Shakib al hasan
Lance klusener
Mike procter
Daniel vettori
Vinoo mankad
Shane watson
Richie benaud

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To hell with including wicket keepers
yeah im of this opinion. it kinda just muddles things up. how do we compare gilchrist to imran? people were complaining about comparing spinners to quicks last time ha

mr_mister

Qualified:

Imran
Hadlee
Sobers
Botham
Miller
Kallis
Procter
Mankad
Flintoff
Grace(after my nom)
Kapil(after my nom)

my second batch of noms... taking it a bit more seriously this time

Wilfred Rhodes
Kapil
Klusener
S Pollock
Hammond
C Cairns
C Harris
Wasim
Heath Streak
Shakib

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be curious to know whether old Wilfred is getting so many votes due to him being such a FC colossus, or because a lot of people haven't accounted for the Rhodes Paradox (TM The Sean) at Test level.

Camo999

State 12th Man
W Armstrong
D Vettori
C Cairns
R Benaud
A Davidson
C Rice
S Jayasuriya
A Faulkner
L Constantine
B D'Oliveira

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i would be interested to know why, his career averages don't seem to support that rating but on the other hand, i have seen a lot of shaun and never seen peter perform whereas you have seen both...

mr_mister

I'd be curious to know whether old Wilfred is getting so many votes due to him being such a FC colossus, or because a lot of people haven't accounted for the Rhodes Paradox (TM The Sean) at Test level.

even at Test level his stats are pretty decent, but yeah FC is included in the voting so it makes sense. Also I love the ol timey players, their cricinfo pages are always a good read. Whats the Rhodes Paradox?

JTemperance

Cricket Spectator
Garfield Sobers
Imran Khan
Jacques Kallis
Ian Botham
Chris Cairns
Kapil Dev
Shaun Pollock
Andrew Flintoff
Daniel Vettori

Howe_zat

Audio File
even at Test level his stats are pretty decent, but yeah FC is included in the voting so it makes sense. Also I love the ol timey players, their cricinfo pages are always a good read. Whats the Rhodes Paradox?
At Test level, Rhodes was a left arm spinner who batted in the tail. He later had a second run in the side predominantly as an opening batsman. The Rhodes Paradox is that an even though an allrounder is someone who bats and bowls, someone who bats and bowls is not necessarily an allrounder.

Ftr I don't quite agree with the notion that Rhodes never had a genuine allround role. It is true that his batting came into the equation much later than his bowling, though.

cnerd123

likes this
I vote for Rhodes precisely because of the Rhodes paradox. Opening batsman, leading spinner, part time spinner, tail-ender, middle order stalwart, vice captain, captain, selector, then captain again. If he went through a mid-career crisis and took up wicketkeeping and slogging from number 7 then he'd be the GOAT.