• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Spark

Global Moderator
I really hope that Joe Root doesn't end up as England's VVS Laxman who got 17 centuries and a whopping 56 50-99 scores...

The similarities between the to are already quite scary: both have stints as openers who moved to the middle order, score quickly and both have terrible conversion rates.
I dunno about you but if anyone offered me a batsman who would become my team's version of VVS Laxman I'd take that every single time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really hope that Joe Root doesn't end up as England's VVS Laxman who got 17 centuries and a whopping 56 50-99 scores...

The similarities between the to are already quite scary: both have stints as openers who moved to the middle order, score quickly and both have terrible conversion rates.
But he'd win you loads of matches from dire situations and regularly beat Australia in the Ashes virtually on his own.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
I dunno about you but if anyone offered me a batsman who would become my team's version of VVS Laxman I'd take that every single time.
We've already had Ian Bell! The thing about Root is that he looks like the only England batsman since the late 80's that could join the 13000 @ 50 club. We've had plenty of good batsmen but we haven't had any great batsman since Barrington.

Spark

Global Moderator
We've already had Ian Bell! The thing about Root is that he looks like the only England batsman since the late 80's that could join the 13000 @ 50 club. We've had plenty of good batsmen but we haven't had any great batsman since Barrington.
Did you... just compare VVS Laxman to Ian Bell

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugh commentary - "You're only going to use two bowlers with the new ball. Use the other one now. Missing a trick here." - No, they will use Morkel in a short burst and get Rabada on quickly. Get with the program.

OverratedSanity

I get where you're coming from. I think if at the beginning of Root's career, if someone had said he'd be as good as VVS, you'd have said yes please. But the fact that he's shown such incredible ATG potential in his first few seasons has obviously raised expectations.

But don't you ever ****ing dare compare IAN BELL TO VVS

91Jmay

International Coach
Roots conversion rate is starting to become a 'thing'. Agree with earlier consensus he tries to move through the gears too quickly.

**** effort given the start we had. Frustrated by today's play.

OverratedSanity

One of the few positives SA can take from their last 2-3 matches is that they finally have a spinner who looks as though he can go a full over without gifting a rubbish 4 ball.