• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes given the scoring rates and over rates I think 400 lead soon after lunch would be the declaration if things pan out that way.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Probably a fair point about the technical issues - I just think Buttler has a ridiculous amount of natural ability that we need to make use of
We are getting the best out of Jos and that is in ODI's, unfortunately at the moment he's not up to Test standard yet.

Would say we already have enough tbh. Think we'll put the hammer down tomorrow morning with Root and Taylor at the crease and Stokes, Bairstow, Moeen, Broad & Woakes to come
Root and Taylor don't need to put the hammer down at all in the morning, if they play naturally they will score at a good enough rate until the new ball comes (16 overs away), then once they are set and have a nice hard new ball i'm sure they will score at a good rate.

With the 2nd Test coming so soon lets wear down Morkel and Abbott. 4 sessions on this pitch should be enough, gives us 2 new balls. That's unless we get bowled out first and unless something drastic happens we will have a 300+ lead which should be enough considering SA haven't scored 250 in a Test innings for a long time (famous last words).

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The two day break between tests is an important fact in this. Means SA probably have more incentive than ever to block and block. Could be tough for England to bowl 140 overs then be bowling first in CT. Moeen will be bowling a lot but he isn't exactly the most consistent of performers so can't see Cook declaring too early and leave a carrot dangling for De Villiers to destroy Moeen which in turn could bowl the seamers into the ground.

Quote from today.
Moeen said: "I've worked a lot harder since I've been here on my bowling and it's paying off slowly."

If only he and England had concentrated on that for the last tour in the UAE. ffs England played reasonably well on that tour but some of the selections and tactics by the management really ****ed over the team.

grecian

Buttler had his chance but didn't perform now its Bairstow's opportunity.
21st opportunity now isn't it?

Hey in the end it's not a big deal, Jos was underperforming, but it's not something that's clear-cut who should be playing.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
21st opportunity now isn't it?

Hey in the end it's not a big deal, Jos was underperforming, but it's not something that's clear-cut who should be playing.
Yeah, its basically a form thing -- which of these guys is more likely to jam out some runs tomorrow, despite neither of them being Test-class wicketkeeper batsmen. If Bairstow wasn't averaging 100 in the CC and Jos was, we'd likely see the roles reversed. Alas, Bairstow is in better form so he gets the gig for a while.

Pothas

Sort of yeah. They are very different though, Bairstow has always scored a lot of runs in first class cricket but never convinced at international level, Buttler has never really scored heavily in the first class game, but has obviously done some pretty special things in ODIs. Buttler also the better keeper. I think most people really want it to be Buttler I do think Bairstow deserves a run in this role.

grecian

Sort of yeah. They are very different though, Bairstow has always scored a lot of runs in first class cricket but never convinced at international level, Buttler has never really scored heavily in the first class game, but has obviously done some pretty special things in ODIs. Buttler also the better keeper. I think most people really want it to be Buttler I do think Bairstow deserves a run in this role.
Well it's the ongoing discussion with how many 7 and 8s we have, you could put Rashid and even Broad in there. Oh and Bresnan, I'll just post that to keep Howe Zat happy.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Quote from today.
Moeen said: "I've worked a lot harder since I've been here on my bowling and it's paying off slowly."

If only he and England had concentrated on that for the last tour in the UAE. ffs England played reasonably well on that tour but some of the selections and tactics by the management really ****ed over the team.
Think it was Cribb talking about how him opening the batting could mean he might view himself as less of a bowler. Seems true sadly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think it was Cribb talking about how him opening the batting could mean he might view himself as less of a bowler. Seems true sadly.
Yeah as I said at the time, I think Moeen would rather crack at as a batsman than a bowler. He'll take what he can get obviously but I think he'd rather be a batsman if he had the choice, so if you dangle that sort of carrot he'll naturally devote more of his time to it. As much as it was always probably going to be a short-term thing, if he'd averaged 85 for the series he might still be opening here, and I'm sure he knew that regardless of whether he was told to focus on his bowling or not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
this cricket match has literally been the only good cricket contest for like a week or something. BBL has been ****house for a few days now and Sri Lanka and West Indies don't deserve to play cricket.

Thank you Sturat Board and the rest of the English team for producing quality stuff.