• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Come up with my XI for the 1st test:

Cook*
Hales
Compton
Root
Taylor
Stokes
Bairstow+
Ali
Broad
Footitt
Anderson

Really can't see how Woakes can play whilst Stokes is in the side. Footitt also brings a different angle with his left armers.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Also I've never actually seen Footitt. What's he like and is he most likely to be the 3rd seamer?
Bit of a scattergun left-armer with natural inswing to the right-hander but he had a pretty good season this year, I think, so may have improved his accuracy since I last saw him in the 2014 season.

Has actual pace in contrast to someone like Jordan who people said has actual pace but appears pedestrian. Decent short ball but looks better pitching it up. Reckon he's in as a bit of a wildcard if one of Broad or Anderson get injured.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just when you thought Compton's career was buried... Nobody better than Jordan available? And if you're not going to have Rashid, then might as well get rid of Samit as well. Never change, English selectors.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Just when you thought Compton's career was buried... Nobody better than Jordan available? And if you're not going to have Rashid, then might as well get rid of Samit as well. Never change, English selectors.
If only we had the chance to select Stuart Binny. Alas, we'll never have that opportunity.

theegyptian

There was a very subtle dig at Compton a few days ago imo by Vic Marks in the guardian.

'Hales remains the favourite for that opening slot alongside Cook and if he was campaigning for his inclusion (which is not really his style) he might invite the selectors to take note of a modern pathway to Test success.'

theegyptian

So an Egyptian could never criticize the selection policy of Les Blues?
My point was more that every team makes **** selections from time to time that the majority of knowledgeable fans disagree with. It isn't just an English phenomenon.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My point was more that every team makes **** selections from time to time that the majority of knowledgeable fans disagree with. It isn't just an English phenomenon.
Mr Mayanti's selection had nothing to do with his ability as a cricketer though. Will cop to the Nohit blunders over Che all day.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't think Woakes will play as 1st change, he is probably there to cover for Stokes who might not be fit.

Excited by Footitt. This post has made me realise his name is really hard to spell though, so that's a black mark against him.

Samit over Rashid gives the game plan away - they aren't planning on bowling much spin.

Re: Bell - I agree with KP. *Goes for a wash*

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah I'm a bit iffy about Woakes at 1st change but I'd rather him than Jordan. At least it's two injuries that mean we're back to a rubbish 3rd seamer though. Progress from a year ago.

A 7-9 of Bairstow, Moeen and Woakes would make the Kiwi's really jealous though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So personally, would go:

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. Compton
4. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes/Woakes
7. Bairstow
8. Moeen
9. Footitt/Woakes
10. Broad
11. Anderson

Howe_zat

Audio File
So personally, would go:

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. Compton
4. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes/Woakes
7. Bairstow
8. Moeen
9. Footitt/Woakes
10. Broad
11. Anderson
Yeah probably. Rather not play Woakes at #9 or we'll have days where we're crying out for variety in the attack.

They will probably play both Taylor and Ballance and leave out one of Compton/Hales.

In fact I pretty much interpreted Compton's selection as a 'maybe, but we're really not convinced' on Hales.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Compton is surely going to be in the xi. Can't see them taking a 32 year old who they'd already binned once to kick his heels in the dressing room.