• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Massive win this for England. It's great how the batting weaknesses were sort of filled by the emergence of Compton, Taylor and the brilliant Stokes of course.

Another great knock in this game to form a partnership with Root at a crucial stage. Incredible how much he adds to the team, totally makes up for a sort of misfiring top order.

In the last 4 years, England have now won two massive away series, absolutely incredible stuff this.

Gotta feel bad for South Africa though. For a team that had such an incredible away record for almost 8 years at a time when everyone was getting hammered overseas, to lose the number 1 ranking after 2 series losses should hurt. They should have had more points separating them from the number 2.

This does look like a broken team though, and there seems to be a lot going on behind the scenes. AB's comments are worrying for a guy who always wore his passion on his sleeve and who never made a secret of how much losing hurt him. Yet now he talks about workload and burnout and retirement and all that. There is obviously a lot bothering him at his workplace, and that will always effect how much you enjoy your work
South Africa have lost their most recent series against England, India and Australia. It's probably right that they're no longer number 1.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry for posting well after events have happened!

Waking up this morning was a bit of a shock after last checking in when South Africa were ten for no loss.
Was not surprised that Broad was the main destroyer, makes me feel a little better about what happened in the ashes!
Looking at the recent results and the make up of the SA team I think it's pretty clear that they are no longer the indisputible best side, especially without Steyn.

The batting seems to lack application, and was thoroughly shown up last night. Without Kallis and Smith to provide steady guidance they don't have any steady accumulators who block or leave, and with only AB having consistent form over the past year or so there is too little to stand on batting wise. I'm not really surprised at such a total in india, but on their home turf, at Wanderer's no less?

I think that SA may continue putting together some performances, but I think it's pretty clear that their reign as the team to beat is over.

Compton

International Debutant
Finn out of final test; Footit, Woakes, or Jordan to replace.

Brings up the glaring question: how does Chris Jordan keep himself considered an option? He must have dirty pictures of Mrs Strauss or something.

grecian

Brings up the glaring question: how does Chris Jordan keep himself considered an option? He must have dirty pictures of Mrs Strauss or something.
Hope they go with Footit, he's getting on a bit now, if we don't give him a chance now it maybe too late. He's the quickest of the lot, not a like-for-like replacement, but none of them are. Plunkers would be, but we haven't picked him for some reason. Joverton would be cool if they flew him in, he said in an utterly unbiased way.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File

Jordan has just about enough pace to trouble at international level, particularly a lower order/tail, he provides variety when set against a new ball attack that is designed to get top order players out, he contributes with the bat and is an excellent fielder.

I don't want him to be a part of England's Test match plan A going forward but with a couple of injuries he can do a job.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Footit surely. Jordan shouldn't be bowling at international level until he can sort his run up out.

Footit goes for runs but its the best time to give him a try given its a dead rubber so slightly less pressure.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope they go with Footit, he's getting on a bit now, if we don't give him a chance now it maybe too late. He's the quickest of the lot, not a like-for-like replacement, but none of them are. Plunkers would be, but we haven't picked him for some reason. Joverton would be cool if they flew him in, he said in an utterly unbiased way.
This i'd love to see Footit get a go, if only because he is a left armer and would be a useful addition to the bowling ranks if he is good enough. Only way of finding that out is playing him and there aren't many better times to make a debut than against a battered batting line up on a decent bouncy track.

grecian

Footit getting a go has all the hallmarks of a 0/150 effort.

Woakes should play.
Woakes and Jimmeh are too similar. If the 0-150 happens, we'll know he's not up to it, and it'll free up a squad place for one of the Overtons or Lewis Gregory.

91Jmay

International Coach
Woakes played well in first test and is much quicker than Jimmy at the moment. Has been our consistently quickest bowler of all who have played this series.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Steyn out again. They may have done some real damage in allowing him to bowl another half an over after being injured at Durban.

Compton

International Debutant
Steyn out again. They may have done some real damage in allowing him to bowl another half an over after being injured at Durban.
Yeah Botham I think it was in commentary at the time took a break from talking ****e to spend 10 minutes explaining how stupid that was.

Saying that, I wonder if he's "not fit to play" or if he's "not fit to play a dead rubber"

Groundking

International Debutant
Yeah, with his recent injuries I'd be amazed if we ever saw him like how he was ever again, which is a massive shame, and I'm now doubtful he'll hit 500 wickets, but I do hope he does.

Shady Slim

International Coach
wonder what would happen if SA were fit and firing

they had to call on their sixth or seventh string pacers so it's hardly ideal

burr

State Vice-Captain
Bit disappointing from a neural perspective but, gosh, England are actually an exciting side to watch -- from a neutral perspective. I mean, we have known for a while Broad is capable of God spells. But combined with players like Root and Stokes, I'd pay to watch England. And I have - entering my 70 pounds odd in the Eng v Pak Lord's test. God, I love test cricket!