• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Spark

Global Moderator
I rate Marsh highly as a bowler, just don't think he has these skills. He is more consistent than Stokes though, and bowls way less filth.
Yeah but as noted above, he'd really, really enjoy the seam movement and bounce on offer. Basically think of him as a poor man's Hazlewood.

Don't think anyone other than Anderson can move the ball both ways like Stokes can though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Changing my opinion on Stokes vs Marsh as a bowler to agree with Dan. Forgot just how dangerous Stoke's best is. Really not sure Marsh can do this.
IMO, Marsh will end up being the better bat

He has the ability to bowl quicker but will regress like Watto due to body issues

If he had anything remotely resembling a brain, the big show would be the one as he is technically sound and a brilliant fieldsman

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah Stokes can hit the deck though as well, and bowled a 94 MPH delivery in first innings. Marsh could be a genuine 3rd seamer with work (but obviously he has far more value to Aus as a batting all rounder if he can develop as that, you have heaps of fast bowlers).

fredfertang

I rate Marsh highly as a bowler, just don't think he has these skills. He is more consistent than Stokes though, and bowls way less filth.
The best all-rounders always bowl plenty of rubbish - Sir Beefy the classic example, hugely effective for him too - ask Hilditch

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Stokes can hit the deck though as well, and bowled a 94 MPH delivery in first innings. Marsh could be a genuine 3rd seamer with work (but obviously he has far more value to Aus as a batting all rounder if he can develop as that, you have heaps of fast bowlers).
Stokes has never really looked good when hitting the deck though, all his really good spells have been as a swing bowler rather than a hit-the-deck bowler, where he tends to send down half-trackers and get belted.

91Jmay

International Coach

He has the ability to bowl quicker but will regress like Watto due to body issues
Marsh may end up averaging more (not convinced at all by that though) but no way he is playing the destructive innings Stokes has/will.

Spark

Global Moderator
Marsh may end up averaging more (not convinced at all by that though) but no way he is playing the destructive innings Stokes has/will.
Yeah you'd say Stokes is in the running to be the better batsman all up but definitely don't agree with the second bit. Don't think I've seen too many players hit the ball as cleanly with as little effort as Mitch Marsh. Have seen him block balls through cover for four.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

If he had anything remotely resembling a brain, the big show would be the one as he is technically sound and a brilliant fieldsman
Having trouble seeing this happening. If Stokes can get better at restricting the runs in unhelpful conditions he could be scary.

Pothas

Have just not seen much of Marsh yet, does not get to bat in Australia and obviously struggled in England.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Changing my opinion on Stokes vs Marsh as a bowler to agree with Dan. Forgot just how dangerous Stoke's best is. Really not sure Marsh can do this.
Like I said, Stokes when there's movement, Marsh to stick it in back of a length and keep things tight.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah you'd say Stokes is in the running to be the better batsman all up but definitely don't agree with the second bit. Don't think I've seen too many players hit the ball as cleanly with as little effort as Mitch Marsh. Have seen him block balls through cover for four.
I'm not doubting he is a destructive player, and is a massive talent (like England did with Stokes for a while you just keep picking him until he gets it right imo) but 120 off 195 at Perth, 193 off 248 (both innings) against New Zealand, 87 off 128 against Australia at Lords and 258 off 198 balls last Test.

Until Marsh produces you can't put him on Stokes' level as a destroyer.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to be so happy with the fielding here. Couldn't really have asked for much more of an improvement on the last Test, even if it's largely from one guy.

social

Having trouble seeing this happening. If Stokes can get better at restricting the runs in unhelpful conditions he could be scary.
Hasn't got the technique

Marsh is struggling atm but could be a monster as he has ridiculous power and the basics

In any event, the guy to watch is Lynn as he hits it further than all of them, more often and is a seriously good player

Spark

Global Moderator
Hasn't got the technique

Marsh is struggling atm but could be a monster as he has ridiculous power and the basics

In any event, the guy to watch is Lynn as he hits it further than all of them, more often and is a seriously good player
Didn't know Chris Lynn had an inswinger :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not doubting he is a destructive player, and is a massive talent (like England did with Stokes for a while you just keep picking him until he gets it right imo) but 120 off 195 at Perth, 193 off 248 (both innings) against New Zealand, 87 off 128 against Australia at Lords and 258 off 198 balls last Test.

Until Marsh produces you can't put him on Stokes' level as a destroyer.
The last is an ATG innings obviously but the others aren't that out of the ordinary from an aggressive player.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe I'm overrated Stokes in my head because he's always performed when I've been watching. Didn't realise his Test/FC/One Day batting averages were all below 35.