• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson Retires

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm throwing it out there that Phil Hughes combined with Johnson smacking Kohli in the head at Adelaide not long after it took away the edge he'd built up over the previous year.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Mitchell Johnson's resurgence in 2013/2014 will undoubtedly remain a highlight of my time following cricket.

To go from the wildly inconsistent, often ridiculed and much maligned bowler of his earlier career to putting in the two greatest bowling performances of the modern era was simply remarkable.

Spark

Global Moderator
Any numbers on the Johnson/Harris bowling partnership? God they were incredible in tandem.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
17 Tests together.

Johnson - 96 wickets @ 20.71, 7 5w, 2 10w, SR 38.5
Harris - 73 wickets @ 22.06, 3 5w, SR 47.6

Spark

Global Moderator
That also includes 2 Tests in Sri Lanka back in 2011 where Johnson bowled like a spud.
Would also count the two Tests last year against India where we dropped like a dozen catches off Johnson, yes?

EDIT: Though IIRC a lot of that happened at Brisbane, where Harris didn't play.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
very good bowler and highly entertaining to watch when he is on form..good luck to him in whatever he does from here..

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hated watching Mitch bowl when he was spraying it everywhere, but after that last series against England out here where he tore them a new arsehole, I enjoyed watching him bowl regardless of what happened. Probably helped that he became a little more consistent, but all was forgiven after that Ashes effort.

Seems like a top bloke too, I hope retirement treats him well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm throwing it out there that Phil Hughes combined with Johnson smacking Kohli in the head at Adelaide not long after it took away the edge he'd built up over the previous year.
Yeah, there was something less menacing about him. Only time where I reckon I really saw him let go properly, for a sustained period, after that was around the wicket to Ballance in England.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
The first of many bowlers to be Kane Williamson'd into retirement.

Sad to see him go. Even past his best he still bounced out Neesham last game and our two openers this one. .One can only imagine that he would still be potent for another season or two.

Bossbabe909

Cricket Spectator
Mitch finest Left hand bowler I ever seen after Zaheer and Akram both left hand fast bowler.
All 3 are great servant for their respective countries for years.

Do you think IPL was major reason for their early exit from test cricket.?
IPL pay handsomely than their nation?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mitch finest Left hand bowler I ever seen after Zaheer and Akram both left hand fast bowler.
All 3 are great servant for their respective countries for years.

Do you think IPL was major reason for their early exit from test cricket.?
IPL pay handsomely than their nation?
Literally 10/10 post.

Gob

International Coach
We don't even know its a girl yet
EDIT : And change your avatar ffs it hurts my eyes

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
My favorite MJ piece

In this innings, it's unknown if Jimmy could even open his eyes. He went at the ball with all the confidence of a man who had seen all his team-mates eaten alive and the knowledge that his only protection was an expired library card.
just the best