• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Equivalent batting and bowling averages

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like the linear scale of the equation. A batsman averaging 40 isn't twice as good as one averaging 20. He is many more times as good. Same applies for a bowler.
Noone is saying he's only twice as good. Glad that you mentioned the bolded part. That's precisely the point. :)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think that those two numbers are probably close to equivalence overall, weldone. But in this current era of corporate 5-day roads, there is no ****ing way 47 = 25.
47 is Ross Taylor, 25 is Shoaib Akhtar - still not very far from equivalent imo

..though I agree with your bigger point that it's more equivalent overall, and era-adjustments must be made

Edit: Also 51 is Mathew Hayden and 23 is Shaun Pollock - again close to equivalent imo

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't quite agree with the approach of counting no. of batsmen against no. of bowlers, mainly because there are more batsmen than bowlers to start with

indiaholic

International Captain
I don't quite agree with the approach of counting no. of batsmen against no. of bowlers, mainly because there are more batsmen than bowlers to start with
I am using percentages.. So the proportion of batsmen who average 50+..

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I am using percentages.. So the proportion of batsmen who average 50+..
Are you counting tailenders as batsmen while calculating the percentage? If yes, there lies the problem. See Chris Martin has to bat, but Rahul Dravid doesn't need to bowl.

smash84

The Tiger King
47 is Ross Taylor, 25 is Shoaib Akhtar - still not very far from equivalent imo

..though I agree with your bigger point that it's more equivalent overall, and era-adjustments must be made

Edit: Also 51 is Mathew Hayden and 23 is Shaun Pollock - again close to equivalent imo
Shoaib Akhtar is a better bowler than Ross Taylor is a batsman I think and its not very close.

tbf I haven't followed too much of RT

indiaholic

International Captain
If we just consider the time period during which Pietersen played (Jul 2005 to Jan 2014), then my proportional comparison thingy considers 47 equivalent to a bowler who averages 27.5

indiaholic

International Captain
And if we take the time duration of Akhtar's Test career (Nov 1997 to Dec 2007), then his average of 25.6 is roughly equivalent to a batsman averaging 49 during that time period.

indiaholic

International Captain
All of our methods are rubbish if you want to compare x batsman to y bowler imo... For eg. Akhtar played less than half the tests that Pietersen played. Nobody is accounting for that. So shouldn't be used for player comparisons.

viriya

International Captain
You are missing an important point here. The goal for batting is runs, the goal for bowling is wickets, not runs/wicket. Trying to make batting average and bowling average directly comparable ignores this fact.

What really is comparable is something like batting average with (wkts/mat)^2/(bowling average).

indiaholic

International Captain
You are missing an important point here. The goal for batting is runs, the goal for bowling is wickets, not runs/wicket. Trying to make batting average and bowling average directly comparable ignores this fact.

What really is comparable is something like batting average with (wkts/mat)^2/(bowling average).
Yep taht is just one of the factors i am missing if i wanted to compare a batsman and a bowler. But if as the title thread says, the goal is to find equivalent averages, then our ideas are kinda sorta okay.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

nah

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Akhtar played less than half the tests that Pietersen played.
This thread is not about longevity, or career achievements. When I was comparing Pietersen with Akhtar (or Hayden with Pollock) I was not comparing their careers - I was comparing their average performance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't press the back button because I clicked "open in new tab". FFS howe now what do I do?