• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Black cricketers in South Africa have apparently sent a letter of complaint to CSA

Marius

International Debutant
Zondo mum on 'black cricketers in unity' letter

2015-11-11 12:19

Lloyd Burnard - Sport24

Cape Town - Proteas squad member Khaya Zondo finds himself at the heart of cricket's latest transformation quandary.

The middle order batsman was a part of the T20 and ODI squads in India last month, although he returned to South African having not featured in either of the two T20Is (the third was washed out) or five ODIs.

And now, there are reports of a letter sent to Cricket South Africa (CSA) highlighting the concerns of black players not getting an opportunity on Proteas tours.

Zondo says he has seen reports of the letter, but he does not want to talk about it.

The 25-year-old was expected by many to make his Proteas debut after JP Duminy was ruled out of the final two ODIs in India, but it was not to be.

First, all-rounder Chris Morris was selected as Duminy's replacement and then in the final match Dean Elgar - not part of the original ODI squad - was rushed in ahead of Zondo.

According to Wednesday's edition of Die Burger, the letter raised concerns from black players who felt that they were not being treated fairly on Proteas tours, with the hashtag '#DrinksCarriersMustFall' featuring at the end of it.

When contacted by Sport24 on Wednesday, Zondo was not prepared to publicly discuss the letter or its contents.

Back with the Dolphins and in the middle of their T20 campaign, Zondo spoke fondly of his time in India and said he wanted to work hard to stay in the mix for a Proteas call-up in the future.

"It was good. It was nice to be around the guys and learn things from them," said Zondo.

"Now it's just about going back to working hard."
Zondo mum on 'black cricketers in unity' letter | Sport24

I also saw an Afrikaans news report about this, and allegedly the letter also complains about the lack of game time for Aaron Phangiso in the World Cup, among other issues.

I think these guys may have something of a point. Why was Elgar picked ahead of Zondo? And why was Tsolekile contracted to CSA for a year in 2012/13 and not even get one game?

That said, CSA is doing a lot to push transformation, strict quotas at franchise level etc. Will be interesting to see where this ends up and which black players are involved with this.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Zondo mum on 'black cricketers in unity' letter | Sport24

I also saw an Afrikaans news report about this, and allegedly the letter also complains about the lack of game time for Aaron Phangiso in the World Cup, among other issues.

I think these guys may have something of a point. Why was Elgar picked ahead of Zondo? And why was Tsolekile contracted to CSA for a year in 2012/13 and not even get one game?

That said, CSA is doing a lot to push transformation, strict quotas at franchise level etc. Will be interesting to see where this ends up and which black players are involved with this.
If Tsolekile and Phangiso could really argue that, then their taking their race prejudice to an unfortunate level - since the SA selectors made a perfectly sane selection in all three case.

This is the kind of unfortunate nonsense these unofficial and official quotas is bound to cause - unnecessary racial tension.

Niall

International Coach
If Tsolekile and Phangiso could really argue that, then their taking their race prejudice to an unfortunate level - since the SA selectors made a perfectly sane selection in all three case.

This is the kind of unfortunate nonsense these unofficial and official quotas is bound to cause - unnecessary racial tension.
Tahir absolutely gunned it in the world cup, genuinely no idea how you play both unless its against the minnows especially in Australia/NZ. He should be very close to the side for the t20 world cup at least.

Tsolekike, I understand his annoyance, but including him in the side would have weakened the batting considerably, and it just wasn't worth it. Maybe if he was young lad with a decade or so of test cricket in him, but not at his stage in his career. Sucks for him, but a fair enough exclusion.

Don't know enough about Zondo to comment, although from what I seen of Elgar in his brief limited overs career, I can understand his annoyance somewhat, Elgar is someone just not needed whatsoever in this South African ODI side.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Actually just looked at the Zondo stats on cricinfo, not to remarkable, has he gunned it recently?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah CSA are evil racists. How dare they select the best and most deserving players to play in the team when they should be selecting less deserving, worse players because of their race.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be honest, i'd be more concerned if a guy who can't even average 30 in any format after 8 years of playing can debut for South Africa.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
To quote my SA friend on this: "We're beating a dead horse. We all know how quota works. Government push black players through the ranks instead of growing better quality from the beginning. Thus giving us Zondo being forced into the SA squad with an average under 30. Honestly everyone knew he would not be called up into the XI. This is all a big waste of time..."

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know enough about Zondo to comment, although from what I seen of Elgar in his brief limited overs career, I can understand his annoyance somewhat, Elgar is someone just not needed whatsoever in this South African ODI side.
I don't think so TBF. Elgar doesn't look ideally suited to ODIs, but his List A stats are pretty good and he generally bats up the order. He went to IND recently as Duminy's sort of like for like replacement - which sort of made sense although you could argue they should have picked A Morkel instead.

Zondo was the LOL quota and SA selectors just went around him for obvious reasons.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why was Elgar picked ahead of Zondo
I assumed it was because he could bowl at the time, but he didn't actually bowl in the game. To be fair South Africa only used five bowlers so it's still possible they leaned towards him as sixth bowling cover.

It's also possible that they never actually thought Zondo was better than Elgar in the first place and only picked him in the squad as they thought it was a way of 'encouraging transformation' without actually having to weaken the side by selecting him. The opposite questions of 'why was Zondo selected in the squad ahead of Elgar' and 'why was Tsolekile contracted in 2012/13 ahead of someone likely to actually play' could quite equally be asked. Obviously there's some inconsistency here but the facts themselves don't show on which end the unmeritocratic decisions are being made.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
This sort of thing must be a seriously rough job

No matter what they do they are criticised by both sides

Marius

International Debutant
I assumed it was because he could bowl at the time, but he didn't actually bowl in the game. To be fair South Africa only used five bowlers so it's still possible they leaned towards him as sixth bowling cover.

It's also possible that they never actually thought Zondo was better than Elgar in the first place and only picked him in the squad as they thought it was a way of 'encouraging transformation' without actually having to weaken the side by selecting him. The opposite questions of 'why was Zondo selected in the squad ahead of Elgar' and 'why was Tsolekile contracted in 2012/13 ahead of someone likely to actually play' could quite equally be asked. Obviously there's some inconsistency here but the facts themselves don't show on which end the unmeritocratic decisions are being made.
That's the thing - neither should have been selected to be honest.

Tsolekile was a good keeper, but by 2012 his time had already passed - I think he was already 30 by then. But he was contracted to CSA, he should have gotten a game.

Same with Zondo - he's in the squad, have the courage of your convictions and play the fellow.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think it's pretty clear that Craig only gets picked over Sodhi because of white privilege, people need to stop burying their heads in the sand and wake up and realise this.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This sort of thing must be a seriously rough job

No matter what they do they are criticised by both sides
CSA as i've always say need to do more to promote, encourage & develop cricket participation and the grassroots level in the rural/black communities. The talented black players "according to their terminology of black" like Rabada will rise to the top on merit. Or they need to accept the general fundamental fact that cricket is more popular by the minority whites in S Africa & that the black ppl just like football more.

And local TV stations need to broadcast cricket unless its a tour to SA. The domestic championships and oversees tours are been televised on the pay channels which most ppl (black ppl) cant afford. So the latter doesn't help.

I don't see why post apartheid born white S Africans who in general have no racist tendencies & are seeking in harmony with the africans - should be denied a chance at a sporting career, because of what their ancestors did.

Apartheid and the quota policy is indefensible. Two wrongs don't make a right.

As a black/mixed raced individual the whole idea of trying to use sport to give a window dressing appearance of racial equality/improvement for black people is crap and insulting. This treds into a whole different political and modern world issue now (which is not appropriate for this forum) because African people worldwide still have to deal with racism whether openly or covertly in all sections of world society today.

So SA government (which coincidentally run by black people these days most of time since aparthied ended) need to do more from a country standpoint to fix the living etc conditions of black people before they get into the influencing the sport.

However I'm very sure if ICC had strong administrative rules like football towards government influence over sport - CSA could never have implemented the quota at international level because they could have been banned.

Last edited: