• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Questions from an American: Learning from the beginning

Joseph Redgate

Cricket Spectator
Is it abnormal for someone like myself to enjoy watching marathons of entire test matches? I prefer watching the full matches, not just the highlights.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's pretty abnormal. Most of us here can barely sit through a 10-10 game.

J/K

I think this would be true for most of us here at CW. So it's certainly not considered abnormal on CW.. But for those not into cricket or familiar with it, they will certainly think it weird that there are people who watch a game for 5 days.But you're right at home here :)

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it abnormal for someone like myself to enjoy watching marathons of entire test matches? I prefer watching the full matches, not just the highlights.
I guess it is abnormal for a newcomer to appreciate watching entire test matches, since it's not easy to get into for a newcomer. On CW among long time viwers though, test cricket is generally considered the premier format of the game.

I've usually found the longer newcomers watch the different formats, the more likely they are to appreciate the ebb and flow of a test match and gravitate more and more towards the 5 day format.

adub

International Captain
Love Test cricket more than anything. But one of the great things about it is you can drop in and out of the game. I missed all of yesterday's play (at a wedding), but I can pop back into today with a bit of an update of what happened and enjoy every minute.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It might be abnormal for a newcomer but it's very cool. Being able to appreciate a test match is something to be respected!

I have the same opinion of people who say "I prefer T20 to tests" as I have of people who say "I like any music, as long as it has a beat". The opinion is that we probably won't be friends!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I adopted to tests quite quickly. After the 1992 world cup, we had England in India in 93 and have preferred tests since then and I was just 10-11 at the time. Any one who uses his brain cannot possibly like any other format more than tests.

Find highlights quite unwatchable 95% times. Much prefer ball by ball as I can analyse a spell of bowling or a batsman etc.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
JR cricket also has a wide literature. Probably the richest of any sport. I would suggest you start with Penguins Stopped Play. About a cricket team of nobodies who toured the whole world.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Hello all,

I thought that, instead of creating a new post every time that I have a question, I would just ask all of them in one place.

I'm watching the Australia vs New Zealand 1st test from day 1 and I think I have figured out most of what is on the score ticker on the bottom of the screen except the pitcher's numbers. For instance, it will say, "Boult 0/2." What are those?
Sir, are you in any way related to Saul Berenson from Homeland?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/28/article-2478467-190B591700000578-785_306x279.jpg

Joseph Redgate

Cricket Spectator
I've been watching day after day of test matches and I find them as comforting as hot chocolate in front of the fire on a cold winter evening. Now, if I could just find a way to watch test matches while drinking hot chocolate in front of the fire on a winter evening and read Robinson Crusoe (one of my favorite books) and having my feet massaged at the same time, I believe that might be the happiest I could get.

watson

Banned
I've been watching day after day of test matches and I find them as comforting as hot chocolate in front of the fire on a cold winter evening. Now, if I could just find a way to watch test matches while drinking hot chocolate in front of the fire on a winter evening and read Robinson Crusoe (one of my favorite books) and having my feet massaged at the same time, I believe that might be the happiest I could get.
Michigan should be pretty cold by now. I assume that you have cable TV, a fire of some sort, and a copy of Robinson Crusoe. This means that you just need someone to massage your feet. That's probably the trickiest bit.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Glad you are enjoying cricket so much. Classical music or any kind of music you like works great while the cricket is playing too.

smash84

The Tiger King
Are you looking for a massage with a happy ending? :p