• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A in the Duleep Trophy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
it can be dangerous to write someone off though just because they havent scored that many runs....reember Sarwan at the start of his career..he struggled to get runs, but you could see he had it in him to score runs...look at him now...i think he is a bit of a star is Sarwan
Check the start of Sarwan's Test career.
His biggest problems came in his third and fourth series, not the start.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
and that test average is a very reliable measure isnt it...1 test at headingley:D
Then let's try to make it more reliable - by giving him more games.
Instead of picking people like Harmison who can't even exploit wickets like the equal minefield at Trent Bridge.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Check the start of Sarwan's Test career.
His biggest problems came in his third and fourth series, not the start.
c'mon lets not get pedantic...in his first 9 or 10 tests he certainly didnt score runs in a way that it was obvious back then that he could have done....i think his second series was vs England and he only did fair..i seem to remember him getting a 50 but that was it, then he played a shocker vs Australia...but he did look good in getting those 3 runs in what was it 5 innings:D

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Instead of picking people like Harmison who can't even exploit wickets like the equal minefield at Trent Bridge.
i am certainly not against giving Kabir more tests

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
IMO Al Sahriar is better than Saleh.
Bringing two threads together, Solanki is Sehwag without the talent, and Al Sahariar is Solanki without the talent.

Saleh has more scores over 40 (5) in six tests than Al Sahariar (4) does in 15. That suggests a small problem. Sahariar is obviously more talented, however that covers aroun 20% of the make up of an International player, tops.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Except Vaughan clearly doesn't rate Ali, and you want to give the captain as many players that he rates in the team.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Except Vaughan clearly doesn't rate Ali, and you want to give the captain as many players that he rates in the team.
The majority of England supporters don't seem to rate Vaughan as a captain, with good reason. Anyway, leaving out a player as talented and promising as Kabir Ali "just because he doesn't rate him" is hardly going to make them think any differently.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Pietersen used to be a useful spinner, I remember him bowling well against England when they last toured South Africa, but ever since he came over to England he's been useless. Why? I'd even rate Graeme Hick as a better spinner at the moment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
The majority of England supporters don't seem to rate Vaughan as a captain, with good reason. Anyway, leaving out a player as talented and promising as Kabir Ali "just because he doesn't rate him" is hardly going to make them think any differently.

Who would you have as captain then?

The thing is, whilst Vaughan is captain, he won't give Ali the ball when selected, so why pick him?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Who would you have as captain then?

Butcher without question. And yes he did express interist in the job.

The thing is, whilst Vaughan is captain, he won't give Ali the ball when selected, so why pick him?
Tell him to buck up his ideas because that kind of attitude is the last thing English cricket needs, especially when our bowling is so weak. We can hardly afford to throw away our promising bowlers because our captain wants to act like a 3 year old child!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:

Butcher without question. And yes he did express interist in the job.

Tell him to buck up his ideas because that kind of attitude is the last thing English cricket needs, especially when our bowling is so weak. We can hardly afford to throw away our promising bowlers because our captain wants to act like a 3 year old child! [/B]

But there is little point in a captain bowling a guy he has little faith... IMO the captain knows best who is likely to get him some wickets...

Its the same situation with Robbie P being "imposed" on graham smith...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
But there is little point in a captain bowling a guy he has little faith... IMO the captain knows best who is likely to get him some wickets...

Its the same situation with Robbie P being "imposed" on graham smith...
What gave him that little faith? The fact that Kabir took 5 wickets on debut? Anyway what has Harmison done to get so much faith? It's plainly obvious that not only is Vaughan not the captain England needs, but also his aloofness and opinionated nature is in danger of ridding England of their talented young stars, at a time when the current crop of "young" English bowlers can't seem to perform against anyone better than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh...

chris.hinton

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Im sure Neil doesnt have a personal vendetta against the Ali family... :lol:

And, it is right to assume, is it not.. that if a guy scores hardly anything , then he isnt overburdened with talent?
They are a talented Family and Deserve a chance.... besides Neil seems to attack Worcester Players

twctopcat

International Regular
Rik said:
What gave him that little faith? The fact that Kabir took 5 wickets on debut? Anyway what has Harmison done to get so much faith? It's plainly obvious that not only is Vaughan not the captain England needs, but also his aloofness and opinionated nature is in danger of ridding England of their talented young stars, at a time when the current crop of "young" English bowlers can't seem to perform against anyone better than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh...
Is this attitude of Vaughan well known regarding Kabir? I'm not questioning it just never thought of Vaughan as being so aloof etc. I know there was a bit of a playboy image about Kabir but to be honest that doesn't buy with me, just hope he comes out of the academy soon and gets another chance this summer to show what he can do. As far as i can tell Lillee seems to rate him so i hope this attitude of Vaughan is a one-off.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
They are a talented Family and Deserve a chance.... besides Neil seems to attack Worcester Players
Talented family suggests that more than 1 member is showing talent...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
OK - so far, I've claimed that:
1/ Kadeer ought to show some talent soon - fair call I reckon?
2/ Solanki is not disciplined enough for International cricket - also accurate?
3/ Kabir's not up to it - more controversial, but shared by the national selectors.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:

3/ Kabir's not up to it - more controversial, but shared by the national selectors.
Yes but it seems to be you are judging on one performance, in which he out-performed all the other bowlers England picked for that game. And how many times do you tell other people not to judge on one game?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Very often commentators and TV obsevers (like you and me) can tell far better than a captain who is likely to get wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
OK - so far, I've claimed that:
1/ Kadeer ought to show some talent soon - fair call I reckon?
2/ Solanki is not disciplined enough for International cricket - also accurate?
1, most certainly - I've said that about him and Shafayat.
2, certainly not disciplined enough for ODIs, and should never have been picked for them. Tests? Who knows. Certainly a better bet than some IMO, won't know unless he gets the chance.
3, think you and the selectors are wrong. Still think he's got plenty to learn, though.