• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A in the Duleep Trophy

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone who seriously thinks Graham Wagg, Graham Napier, Matthew Prior, Simon Francis and James Tredwell have the potential to be county-standard players IMO need their heads examining!
If Tredwell is not of county standard, how could he pick 4 wickets for not too many? And how could Prior and Napier get more than 50?

Perhaps if they are not facing second-string sides. That said, the zonal teams selected are quite strange. There are no international matches right now and the Australia tour has been nothing great for the Indian team, so they will need some practice before the Pak tour. Besides, it will make the tournament more competitive. Why are the players from the Indian main team not playing?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
And because someone has clocked 1 or 2 mph quicker than somoene else that means they should be going on an international tour.
What a brilliant idea that is. Because someone has clocked fast at a training establishment they must get an international place. The fact that his First-Class record is poor is of no relevance whatsoever, naturally.
again, first class averages dont always indicate someones international potential....Jones has a poor first class record, but the times I have seen him play he has looked a genuine article and I think he can develop into a high class fast bowler.

Look at Anderson... a couple of years ago a mate of mine who plays in the Lancashire League told me of this young lad called Anderson. He told me that he would no doubt play for England withinn 5 years,even though his record wasnt the greatest in the league,and he certainly hadnt played any first class cricket. You just get a feeling about a player, and even if they have only an average record, you can see they are good bowlers

same with mahmood,the few times I have seen him play for lancs, I have been well impressed, i am not really that bothered his bowling average is in the 30's, coz he will obviously get a lot better so really, no, his 'poor' first class record does have no relevence...these players are only young and will get better.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
And because someone has clocked 1 or 2 mph quicker than somoene else that means they should be going on an international tour.
What a brilliant idea that is. Because someone has clocked fast at a training establishment they must get an international place. The fact that his First-Class record is poor is of no relevance whatsoever, naturally.
This hasn't come from my mouth, it's just random rumours. All i was pointing out that mahmood had been bowling better (in terms of results) than Jones, hence the question was raised as to why he wasn't the one going to the west indies. And stats aren't everything.:)

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Not just by bowling at 90 mph they won't!
I know that, don't taken everything so literally, was just having a laugh and getting a bit enthusiastic. Anyway speed isn't a bad thing just not the only thing,obviously. Surely it's better to have 90mph line and length than 80mph line and length, i'd have thought so anyway. Seems to be working for Jones at the moment anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
All i was pointing out that mahmood had been bowling better (in terms of results) than Jones, hence the question was raised as to why he wasn't the one going to the west indies.
Jones has outperformed him in the FC games hasn't he?

Also Jones is going to the West Indies because he's the one who's already got into the team, and has done more in his career.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Anyone who seriously thinks Graham Wagg, Graham Napier, Matthew Prior, Simon Francis and James Tredwell have the potential to be county-standard players IMO need their heads examining!
Interestingly, nobody has asked this question: who do you want to go to India instead? A bunch of 30-year-olds, or other promising youngsters - and what would their names be?

(oh, incidentally, don't let Michael Lumb anywhere near the England team...)

twctopcat

International Regular
marc71178 said:
Jones has outperformed him in the FC games hasn't he?

Also Jones is going to the West Indies because he's the one who's already got into the team, and has done more in his career.
I didn't start the debate on Mahmood and Jones, and am not doubting Jones deserves the place more, was just commenting on the rumours.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
When I tried accessing the scorecard form the CricInfo England and India pages, I only got the second days' play and a message that said, 'an error occured while processing the directive'. Any idea where I can get the full page?

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
go to www.ecb.co.uk , they update the scorecard every session
india A are 171/2 at stumps despite being 1/2 at one stage. worries for england as jones has been hammered
i dont think England fans will be particularly worried

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
about whether simon jones was the right choice to go to west indies coz he may still not be bowling at his best
well i dont think the people who count (ie the selectors ) are really going choose him if they dont think he is ready..even if he doesnt play all that much the experience of touring the West Indies will be valuable in his development

V Reddy

International Debutant
Wow Vengopal Rao has been piling on runs against Eng A. If one remembers he was with the Ind U-19 team that toured Eng in 2002 but didn't make many then. He seems to have improved from then :cool2:

twctopcat

International Regular
Does anyone know what the hell happened to Jones today???? Bowls well for a couple of days then gets tonked for 35 runs off barely 4 overs, is he suddenly not bothered about this England 'A' rubbish now that he's been selected?! If that is his attitude i for one am worried - surely he should aim for wickets whatever the opposition.:O

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
twctopcat said:
Does anyone know what the hell happened to Jones today???? Bowls well for a couple of days then gets tonked for 35 runs off barely 4 overs, is he suddenly not bothered about this England 'A' rubbish now that he's been selected?! If that is his attitud i for one am worried - surely he should aim for wickets whatever the opposition.:O
why is everyone making assumptions about his bowling today..he only bowled 24 balls, bit early to write him off. For all we know the runs might have come from misfields, or edges over the slips for 4..sometimes you can bowl well and still have rough looking figures

twctopcat

International Regular
Swervy said:
why is everyone making assumptions about his bowling today..he only bowled 24 balls, bit early to write him off. For all we know the runs might have come from misfields, or edges over the slips for 4..sometimes you can bowl well and still have rough looking figures
Fair enough, just thought it was a bit odd how he is going for 3 an over the whole tour then goes for almost 10 an over in that session. If it carries on then tomorrow then there's more cause for concern i suppose.However i doubt misfields can solely make up for thsoe sorts of figures.

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
the man was taken off after bowling only 3.5 overs,clearly they werent too many edges over slips or misfields otherwise the captain would have persisted with him. nonetheless every bowler has a bad day and lets see how he does tomorrow

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:

Considering they're chasing 500, I suggest that he had a fairly attacking field to bowl to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
We have no choice but to make the rubbish upto county standard. These players are needed to replace the old fokes who retire. If they arent good enough then so what? you cant magic decent players out of thin air. It just means that county cricket gets even easier. Which should be more evidence of having 6 first class teams, so the (what looks like by the evidence of our a team) few good players we have in the county game are all playing each other and the weaker players get cut off.
The better option would be to make an attempt to change the attitudes of the many talented players who don't try to be anywhere near as good as they should be, not trying to chuck 100 years of history down the drain.
We have no choice, meanwhile, but to try to make the rubbish up to standard. We can't make bad players good. IMO you'll never make Wagg, Tredwell, Francis, Napier and Prior county-standard, they simply haven't got it in them. Francis and Napier have been playing for ages.