• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies Domestic Season 2015/16

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The second season of Profesional first class cricket started yesterday with a very encouraging start for the batsman.

Barbados are batting first against Jamaica and reached 262/2 with Kraigg Braithwaite on 111 not out. Shai Hope made 77 whilst Shamarh Brooks is 49 not out.

Guyana made 287/4 against Windward Islands. Rajendra Chandrika batted all day for his maiden FC century (140 not out). Shiv made 34 before being caught at slip of Shillingford.

T & T against the Leewards was rain affected, leaving T & T on 157/3. Evin Lewis made 66 whilst Narsing Deonarine is 43 not out on his debut.

It's great to see some decent batting performances so early in the tournament. That's already a big improvement on last year. The test players have done what they're supposed to and shown why they were selected. It's incredibly important that there are some good batting performances this year, we desperately need players with some confidence and form before heading to Australia.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Don't know a lot about WI Domestic set up at all tbh. Does it generate much interest and what's the standard like?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A shame to read that while Nicholas Pooran is now playing some trial games again, his leg is still seen as being at "not 100%, not even 75%" fitness after his car crash, which was ages ago.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A shame to read that while Nicholas Pooran is now playing some trial games again, his leg is still seen as being at "not 100%, not even 75%" fitness after his car crash, which was ages ago.
"Thanks for your sympathy and concern, Kippax!"

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Good to see kraiggy braithwaite diong well, watched him closely during the south africa vs west indies series and ive been following him ever since, i reckon he has the potential to be a world class opener

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know a lot about WI Domestic set up at all tbh. Does it generate much interest and what's the standard like?
The standard is pretty woeful, hence the amount of wickets spinners get at inflated averages.

However now that they have revamped the 4-day competition last season to home/away matches - maybe in coming years once will see improvement in quality test players being produced for test cricket,

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for that. That century at the Gabba seems like such a long time ago now.
Yea have heard some rumours also from T&T that he opened some salon with his GF odly. His situation is quite odd, Windies have a major opening problem in test cricket to find a partner for Brathwaite with Gayle injured/unavailable & Lendl Simmons no longer wanting to play test due to that new WICB MOU/CBA disaster.

Barath would be perfect player. But I wonder if WICB have forgotten about Chesney Hughes who plays for Derbyshire.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Yea have heard some rumours also from T&T that he opened some salon with his GF odly. His situation is quite odd, Windies have a major opening problem in test cricket to find a partner for Brathwaite with Gayle injured/unavailable & Lendl Simmons no longer wanting to play test due to that new WICB MOU/CBA disaster.

Barath would be perfect player. But I wonder if WICB have forgotten about Chesney Hughes who plays for Derbyshire.
Yeah when I first saw Chesney Hughes playing for Leeward Islands (I think) at 15 I thought he was gonna be a star in international cricket for many years. Unfortunately he seems to have become an inconsistent county cricket player instead, similar to Craig Cachopa for NZ when really they should be pushing for national honours in their own countries.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah when I first saw Chesney Hughes playing for Leeward Islands (I think) at 15 I thought he was gonna be a star in international cricket for many years. Unfortunately he seems to have become an inconsistent county cricket player instead, similar to Craig Cachopa for NZ when really they should be pushing for national honours in their own countries.
Yea Hughes hasn't kicked on totally since making that 270 for Derbyshire 2-3 years ago - which is believe was highest domestic score for the county.

Batting in Derby for a WI player like him is pretty difficult given how bowler friendly the conditions are & in recent years they have simply been preparing wickets to help suit left-arm quick Mark Footit who has now gone to Surrey.

Hughes ended season with a century & I think his batting is better than his stats show.

But I've seen a lot of him in UK, spoken to him a few times, I know he wants to play for Windies & he would certainly be a better opening batsman candidate for WI right now considering the WI very shocking trend of general selections which saw them pick a guy Chandrika from Guyana who had no FC centuries (from the poor WI domestic season) to open vs AUS & scored a pair & took him to SRI & didn't play him - while generally using middle-order batsmen to open.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I know it was a few days ago but Leeward Islands declaring on 24/7 :laugh:
Such a stupid move too considering they lost in the end.

The only time it makes sense declaring for next to nothing in the first innings, is if that particular day or session is going to be really bad for batting when compared to the rest of the days to come. Like I think there have been times in the past where a side declares cheaply having made to bat right after a rainstorm on a sticky wicket, and then they shoot their opponents out cheaply, come out to bat when the pitch has flattened out, cash in, and then bowl the side out on a re-deteriorating 4th innings pitch.

But even then it makes more sense to bat with a reverse order - let the lower order tough out the sticky wicket and the good batsmen can come in once it settles.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Trinidad Express Newspapers: Sports | Pooran joins Parkites*

The 20-year-old Pooran slammed 80 for the Parkites in a practice match against the University of Trinidad and Tobago at O’Meara over the weekend and QPCC coach David Furlonge believes the left-hander will be a big boost to their batting and their goal of winning all three domestic titles.
CW's Goughy lucky enough to have a future big name to bowl to in the nets if he ended up joining the QPO club. Can't remember if he did or not.