• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the best fielder ever

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rhodes - Punter wasn't that special was he?

I'd say not even as good as Gary Pratt ................

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting is the second best fielder for me as well, but I couldn't accept people voting him over Rhodes. Rhodes is the Bradman of fielding.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting wasn't as quick as Rhodes, but he had a great arm and was way better than Jonty (or anyone else, really) at throwing down the stumps. Could field in the slips too.

cnerd123

likes this
Rhodes is better at the aspects of fielding that I personally find harder, and so I end up rating him higher. I can't figure out any way to objectively seperate the two.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Rhodes - Punter wasn't that special was he?

I'd say not even as good as Gary Pratt ................
I suspect the fact he (Ponting) is a better batsman is being factored in as I never saw him as being anything other than serviceable as a fielder.

Rhodes

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon Chris Harris was good as both of them in the field and was an absolutely freak off his own bowling (not as good as Roger Harper imo).

Roger Harper - best of all time I reckon (although I would like to see some footage of Colin Bland).

viriya

International Captain
Too bad there's no Jonty data.. I suspect he's a better "great catcher" than Ponting but not as good with direct hits. Kind of a slightly better version of Collingwood in numbers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Surprisingly high drop percentage for Punter though
Ties in with my memory that he was a serviceable fielder. He took the important catches, especially in test matches. Perhaps the saying "he has a safe pair of hands" was invented for him. But he would grass some and because catching is central to being the best fielder in the world I wouldn't have picked him out as a finalist in this contest.

Interestingly Steve Smith on track to have more direct hits than Punter if he plays the same number of games.